VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mr David Bowie Requiescat in pace
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:36 pm 

And now Dale Griffin (Buffin) Mott the Hoople's drummer has died.............this ain't rock 'n' roll, this is genocide!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:48 pm 

wrighta wrote:
What would be interesting, is if Tony Visconti ever got the chance of producing BF,his work on Bowie's albums has been first class and just might be able to steer BF in a different direction.

Hipsters,
Always an interesting subject.
That said IWNSHO both Ferry and Bowie probably have a very clear idea of what they want to achieve and their producer or co-producer could well play the role of sounding board or co-conspirator rather than taking a highly directive role.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:29 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
wrighta wrote:
What would be interesting, is if Tony Visconti ever got the chance of producing BF,his work on Bowie's albums has been first class and just might be able to steer BF in a different direction.

Hipsters,
Always an interesting subject.
That said IWNSHO both Ferry and Bowie probably have a very clear idea of what they want to achieve and their producer or co-producer could well play the role of sounding board or co-conspirator rather than taking a highly directive role.
Salutations,
W2

Would have enjoyed hearing what the excellent Daniel Lanois would have coaxed out of Ferry from behind the production desk. His atmospheric production on "Oh Mercy" and "Time Out Of Mind" made these 2 of Dylan's finest later works. And we know how fond Bryan is of Dylan's work, so I'm sure Lanois could have worked his magic on another husky voiced singer-songwriter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:31 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Would have enjoyed hearing what the excellent Daniel Lanois would have coaxed out of Ferry from behind the production desk. His atmospheric production on "Oh Mercy" and "Time Out Of Mind" made these 2 of Dylan's finest later works. And we know how fond Bryan is of Dylan's work, so I'm sure Lanois could have worked his magic on another husky voiced singer-songwriter.

Hedonistic Hipsters,
Windswept loves this site because of posts like this.
W2 is a huge Lanois fan and couldn't agree more with True2Life's proposition - it would be facinating to see what a producer with a very different perspective could bring to the party.
Interestingly, Dylan spoke at length in his biography about his experience with Lanois. Evidently it was a very factious but creatively productive time.
How much appetite our hero would have for a bit of 'fire in the hold' at this stage of the game is an open question. N'est ce pas?
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 pm 

As WS2 adroitly notes, Dylan did spend a lot of time in his autibio Chronicles on recording w/ Lanois. The one great track that resulted from the collaboration - Series of Dreams - is def among the best of BD's later career...

Re the death of Mott drummer Buffin, this is (once again) sad news. Buffin was one of those great Brit drummers of the 70s who could lay down a groove and also add really nice fills and accents. He wasn't FLASH but he ALWAYS supported the song and he was SOLID. Check out his drumming on Mott's version of Sweet Jane. Really Fine Work...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
RoxySiren wrote:
Funny memory courtesy of Julian Temple's short:
http://youtu.be/DXvAaNcXNzI
Nice to see DB's character sharing a flat with Bryan Ferry. :lol:

Hipsters,
This is hilarious - loved the flat share and 'The Country Life' scene.
The boy clearly had a sense of humour!
Salutations,
W2

That IS a Fabulous Video!
I see the Real David there somehow...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:31 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I decided to post this on the Roxy Music section here rather than General Discussion as Bowie is up there with Roxy Music and comes from a similar musical DNA

http://vivaroxymusic.com/news.php?n=522

A very sad J.O'B.

So Very Well Said J.O' B...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:47 am 

DCJ wrote:
Regarding AE's comment about a dearth of Roxy/Ferry references in the wake of DB's passing, I did catch one reference here in The States.

On the Monday edition of the very popular National Public Radio show "Fresh Air with Terry Gross" they played 20 minutes of an interview between Bowie and Gross taped in 2002. The original interview was spurred by the release of the 30th Anniversary edition of the Ziggy Stardust movie and in it Bowie makes direct reference to how he and Roxy Music were leading the way towards a new music in the early 1970s.

So I did hear of the Roxy/Bowie connection in the wake of his death, and it was spoken by none other than Bowie himself.

But other than that, my sense is that the USA coverage of Bowie's death stuck to a pretty narrow groupthink in which Roxy/Ferry languished far afield... But plenty of Space Oddity that's for sure!!!

I Love NPRS' Fresh Air....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:54 am 

Uwe wrote:
Caveat: yes the voice of BF has changed in the years of his work. But even with his 70 years his voice is for me fascinating. I still feel a soothing warmth, security and longing.
Bowie's voice is sometimes abstract, sometimes cold . So on his last album, a really good album. But would it be a BF album, so I was disappointed overall. Bryan is unique for me. A relic of good style and understatement, which is still reflected in his songs. To compare him with other artists is not possible.
Let us return to the voice of Bowie on his album Black Star. True, it sounds typical Bowie moderately, as if Bowie still 30 or 40 years younger. I am not a singer, not even worked in a recording studio, but is that really possible? Is it not perhaps also the technique that enables these typical Bowie song? Had his songs live on stage the quality of voice and sound? It would be nice here once others get even opposite opinions in response. Thank you.
 Greetings, Uwe.

Oooohhh... Uwe...
Thank You For putting into words my Exact Feelings about Bryans' Voice..
Soothing Warmth
Security
And Longing... Amazing

Sorry I cannot give you any opposite opinions..
You have described both voices to me
Perfectly..
Bowie being sometimes Abstract, even Cold
Fame Comes immediately to my mind..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 am 

dear teresa,

thanks a lot ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next