VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mr David Bowie Requiescat in pace
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:49 pm 

Quote:
Am I the only one who is tired of all this roxymania?

I suspect not. I know it's a forum and all styles are most definitely served here, but you only have to drop a hat to start a debate about a Roxy re-form and one final album. If it ever happens I shall retrieve said hat from whence it fell, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and eat it (well Paddy Ashdown got away with it).

The only avenue I can see for any form of tribute is for BF via his forthcoming dates. Should he choose to do so, I think that would be very fitting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:56 am 

Oberon wrote:
The new BF band is much more exciting. The edition of 2015 was better than the one we saw 2014.

Than Roxy Music? Oh you Johnny-come-lately you!

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll see as much as an interview/comment re DB, let alone some form of output. Nothing to do with hatchets, just a heightened sense of mortality!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 am 

First I thought that would be now fantastic, a Tribute song by Roxy Music to sudden death of David Bowie. But then I started to doubt. Jealous Guy was born in a period when RM were actively and successfully.
And now after more than three decades, where nothing, really nothing new created from RM a Tribute Song for D.B. ? That would have a bad aftertaste. Looks like publicity and make money from, now exploit to be heard from again the situation ... Unless the revenue from such a song would be used for a charitable purpose, then it would make sense. But such a song would naturally soon come on the market and if the reports of recent weeks agree, so they are all busy with their own projects at the moment.

I hope to get the 9th Roxy album. It`s my dream.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:53 am 

Uwe wrote:
First I thought that would be now fantastic, a Tribute song by Roxy Music to sudden death of David Bowie. But then I started to doubt. Jealous Guy was born in a period when RM were actively and successfully.
And now after more than three decades, where nothing, really nothing new created from RM a Tribute Song for D.B. ? That would have a bad aftertaste. Looks like publicity and make money from, now exploit to be heard from again the situation ... Unless the revenue from such a song would be used for a charitable purpose, then it would make sense. But such a song would naturally soon come on the market and if the reports of recent weeks agree, so they are all busy with their own projects at the moment.

Oh how I agree with you Uwe, might even be misinterpreted as desperation? I always found it interesting that it was MacKay that was dead against releasing JG as a single, preferring it to be a one-off live tribute in Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 am 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
Uwe wrote:

Oh how I agree with you Uwe, might even be misinterpreted as desperation? I always found it interesting that it was MacKay that was dead against releasing JG as a single, preferring it to be a one-off live tribute in Germany.

Well, it would be a "fan`s" dream, with all the pathetic, introverted view of a diehard fan. I agree that the reality of today is more of a vacuum compared to the situation in 1981. However, I wouldn`t rule it out. I think most people would see why, and do they have to see why? Anyway, among people who know the band`s history, a tribute song would fit in. What Mackay thought back then is one thing, but today, who would be without RM´s Jealous Guy? It reminds me of an absurd comment from The Doors´ guitarist Robbie Krieger about releasing "Love Her Madly" as a single; "No, it`s too commercial".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 am 

".................who would be without RM´s Jealous Guy?"

You see, I would, easily, because it just reminds me of how criminal it was that not one of Roxy's early innovative/later luxurious canon could make it to #1 when a Lennon cover did.

Seriously, I would gladly never hear it again, never bought the single and only own it on disc cos they do it live!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:03 pm 

ditto Midnight Hour, Eight Miles High any others I've forgotten that should have been on Ferry solo albums!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 pm 

Quote:

I seem to recall Andy wasn't necessarily unhappy as such with recording JG, but was against releasing it as a single, as he didn't think it would chart!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Bonsoir, tout le monde!

Am I the only one who is tired of all this roxymania?
The new BF band is much more exciting. The edition of 2015 was better than the one we saw 2014.
Yes, why not make a hommage á DB? I agree with all former posts that Heroes is the best suited song for such a project.

You are not the only one. Or at least, I mean: nothing against roxymania. I'm indeed a roxymaniac. Just not always a roxymaniac at the expense of appreciating what bry's been doing/done.

Back to DB for a second: this past week has been a heavy Bowie immersion week. What fantastic music, interviews, images.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:47 am 

It would make sense that Roxy recorded 'Heroes' with Eno on synth and keys as he co-wrote it and played on the original. Whether Bryan's current voice could do it justice, is another question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next