VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Roxy Album
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:26 pm 

Hi,

Just thought I would add a thread for the elusive new Roxy album.

I have a gut feeling that it will never materialise, but you never know there could be an announcement any day. Still, in this digital age even if an album isn't forthcoming there is no reason why the completed tracks can't be made available via download, and/or included in a new box set.

Cheers
Alan :)

Post subject: Re: New Roxy Album
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:57 pm 
Site Owner

I have learned over the years of being a Roxy fan is to be patient and also don't be surprised if they surprise you.

The Ferry/Roxy world can be so unpredictable. My gut feeling is we will eventually get a Roxy album sometime wheather it be the next thing Ferry releases or he does release a solo album again remains to be seen.

I would be interested to know where other fans would draw the line in what can be called a Roxy album.
What players (minimum) need to be on the album? (Flesh + Blood, Avalon had 3)
How many non original players would dilute it (Avalon had 9)
When would the songs need to be written?
Would any of, Phil, Andy or Bryan's intended solo work be allowed to be re-worked.
Who has to write the songs (Flesh + Blood had 2 covers)
What ratio of instrumentals would you allow maximum (Avalon had 20% of its tracks as instrumentals)

My ideal Roxy album is 9-10 songs (42-45 minutes)
Bryan, Phil, Andy, Paul, some Eno too.
Songs written/co-written by the above.
All songs written together for this album.
One guest bass player
Some backing vocals and percussion.

I would be interested in other fans thoughts on this.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 pm 

I agree with you about the new album but I would love to hear an album of Roxy "ready mades" to use Bryan's expression. In other words Roxy Music cover songs that already featured on solo albums.

One possible dream album featuring three Phil M tracks, three Bryan tracks, one track from Rock Follies and two from the Explorers:

Miss Shapiro
Love Me Madly Again
Venus de Milo
Postcard Love
This Island Earth
Hot Neon
Green Spiky Cactus
I Thought
Up In Smoke

I'm not claiming these to be the best songs from their solo careers but I think Roxy would create blinding versions of these tracks.

Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm 

I think for it to be a Roxy album it would have to be Ferry,Mackay,Manzanera and Thompson with whatever involvement Eno was to offer. Probably about 10 songs all written within the band.However I have a gut feeling that their could be other guitarists involved (Spedding,Ollie Thompson,Neil Hubbard was mentioned a while back,and possibly Leo Abrahams and David Williams).Numerous bass players, Colin Good and Andy Newmark,hope I'm wrong as I would like an authentic Roxy album with just the recognised members of Roxy involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:57 am 

It would have to be Ferry, Manz, Mackay & Thompson plus a bass player for me. Not that bothered if Eno shows or not.

I would agree with the 10 track/45 minute long album............"takes me right back" to the days where you could get a full album on each side of a C90 cassette :lol:

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am 

Ferry, Mackay, Manzanera, Thompson, Pratt, Spedding, Good and Wilkins for me. Don't want to see any involvement from Andy Newmark, and I'll be very disappointed if Neil Hubbard takes part.
12 new songs, no covers, no instrumentals isn't too much to ask for after all of this time.
Half Ferry/Mackay and half Ferry/Manzanera compositions would suit me. I was blown away by Colin Good's intro to Song For Europe on the re-union tour, so I would think he could have something to offer. Not fussed at all about any involvement from Eno.

Just want to hear the damn thing. I really don't understand what all of the secrecy and reluctantly drip-fed snippets of information achieves from Ferry's perspective ?

The name's Kaknockers, Vod Kaknockers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 am 

I would like to see Byan, Phil, Andy and Paul as the core plus a bass player.

I would like to see Eno contributing his sonic touches plus back up vocals (I think his vocal contribution to music is really distinct and underated - think Heroes, Once in a Lifetime as well as early Roxy such as Gray Lagoons and the end of ITIS). I'd like writting to be mixed but with lyrics by Ferry.

As for sound, looking at recent(ish) releases of the members, I would be happy with a combination of elements such as: I Thought, Hiroshima, Goddes of love (Ferry) This, Another day on Earth (Eno) and Technicolour UFO, Cisburry Ring (Manzanera).

Vin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:31 pm 

Like the rest of you I am beginning to think it might never happen but keeping everything crossed it does. Tour also please. Am I right in thinking it has actually been recorded?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 pm 

We need hits. We need medium tempo songs. The band should learn from how classic rock riffs/ anthems are created. -Always see to have some simple phrases underscored by some edgy guitar, just like Pink Floyd. We need a funky bass player up front. All other instrumentation should be subordinated to this distinct bass sound, in the vein of f.ex. Gustavson, Spenner or Jason, or in the manner of how 70s/ 80s disco music is created. Then comes lots of synths and keyboards. Don`t forget the mellotron. There should be a lot of space, tension and precision in the interplay, just like on the album Avalon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 pm 

For me Roxy is Bryan, Phil, Andy and Paul on stage, with Eno doing his twiddling in the studio. As an aside I was amazed at how different Phil's guitar sounded after Eno had put it through his synthesizer, as Phil demonstrated with Ladytron on I think it was the Roxy Music Story.

As for other players, as far as I'm concerned the fewer the better. I don't want 3 guitars, 3 backing singers or dancing girls:
1 bass player - Guy Pratt
1 other guitar - Chris Spedding or Mick Green
1 keyboard player - Colin Good or Eddie Jobson so there could be a violin as well
1 backing singer - Sarah Brown or Sharon Wight or Michelle John-Douglas or Mi'sha Bryan

Ideallly the album should be between 40-50mins long with about 10 songs, that way there would be room for some longer ones as well as 1 or 2 short poppy ones that could be released as singles.
All the songs should be written by Bryan with Andy or Phil.
I don't mind if the songs weren't all written together, but I would like to see them recorded around the same time rather than with months/years in between.