VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Madness
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:41 pm 

Still wondering if yesterday afternoon actually happened, as I saw 75% of Roxy Music play live! :shock:

The Soho Food Feast in central London is an outdoor (in the grounds of a church) charity event and is designed as a culinary affair, supported by many of the local restaurants, but with mid-afternoon live music.

I found out at very short notice that the band would include members of both Madness & Roxy and I knew that Andy had done some previous charity work with Suggs... Then the presence of bassist Yaron Stavi made me think maybe Phil might be on the team... In practice the band (put together by Suggs, I think) included all the aforementioned names plus TGPT on drums!

I've appended the interesting set list here; highlights for me were Ladytron, Ian Dury's Rhythm Stick, Do The Strand (with Andy's son Percy sitting in on drums) & Whiter Shade Of Pale, which was pretty much a solo tour de force for Andy's soprano sax.

All the Roxy guys were on good form and it was quite nostalgic to see them on stage together. I guess maybe the absence of pre-publicity may have been so that nobody ran off with the crazy notion of a Roxy reunion (which seems as unlikely as ever). It'd be nice to hear more live stuff from all of them, but Paul's London visit with Lindisfarne seems to be the only gig on the horizon.

Attachments:
Soho.JPG
Soho.JPG [ 86.1 KiB | Viewed 19635 times ]

Post subject: Re: Roxy Madness
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:48 pm 

For the completists out there, the band was rounded out by the improbably named Cliff Slapper on keyboards and an unidentified young rhythm guitarist. Suggs handed over lead vocal duties on a couple of numbers to his experienced backing singers, Bette Bright (Mrs Suggs) from Deaf School & Margo Buchanan.

Had a nice chat afterwards with TGPT and a mutual friend of ours, then a quick word with Andy, just to say thanks and remind him that we'd like to see & hear him more often. :D

For the saxophone "trainspotters" out there, Andy brought along soprano, alto & tenor, as well as his trusty oboe! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:59 pm 

With apologies for these snaps being of only iPhone quality...

Attachments:
Thompson.JPG
Thompson.JPG [ 96.43 KiB | Viewed 19633 times ]
Manzanera.JPG
Manzanera.JPG [ 87.89 KiB | Viewed 19633 times ]
Mackay.JPG
Mackay.JPG [ 92.46 KiB | Viewed 19633 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:32 pm 

Oh wow wow wow - sounds fun fun fun.

Are you sure Eno was not lurking somewhere unseen?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:32 pm 

You never know what you might come across on a Saturday afternoon in London!!!

Its nice to see PM AM and TGPT playing together. They can do this all they want, but they can't bill it as a Roxy reunion because a certain BF would get his lawyers writing letters etc. if that were to happen...

This isn't Roxy Lite, its closer to Roxy Right!

Last edited by DCJ on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:32 pm 

My two favourite bands - wish I'd have been there. Great set list, I wonder if they considered playing 4BF, the madness penned tribute to Roxy Music and 2HB.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 pm 

Hope some of it appears on YouTube.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:11 pm 

What an amazing thing to be party to.
I thought it was a windup until I saw your photos ..... I so envy you, you lucky sod! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:11 am 

I echo Hard Rain's comments, except I'd say jammy sod!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:36 pm 

Smudge wrote:
I guess maybe the absence of pre-publicity may have been so that nobody ran off with the crazy notion of a Roxy reunion (which seems as unlikely as ever). It'd be nice to hear more live stuff from all of them, but Paul's London visit with Lindisfarne seems to be the only gig on the horizon.

Although it seems fun enough being there, I have to admit that this is interesting to me as far as it "means something". You could say that Bryan was busy preparing his US tour and unable to show up. I take it that these guys are willing to play together and doesn`t look tired of each other as at the 2011 Australian leg. At least that means something. Who knows if there`s something in the air?