VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Roxy Madness
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:41 pm 

While I would love to agree that "this means something" I just don't see RM getting back together. It never appeared to me that it was PM, AM, PT, that did not want it to happen but rather it was/is BF's decision not to. Also lets face it, with the (much discussed) voice drop off, could he really do a full RM show justice with the "requirement" of being a full time front man. On these solo tours, he spends most of the time behind the keyboards, and the vocals are significantly supported by the backup singers. I will be at The Beacon as well as in Boston to see the great one, but have learned to temper my expectations. For those who saw the "big 3" in London.. I am jealous !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:38 pm 

Exactly what this seemingly impromptu session that brought PM AM and TGPT back together in a public forum means for the future (if anything) is hard to say. But it didn't happen "Out of the Blue" - it happened quite intentionally...

Upon that fabled and much anticipated day when the deluxe version of the first Roxy album is finally released, then - somehow, someway - BF and the others are going to have to interact with one another in order to successly promote the deluxe CD. Precisely what that interaction might be is beyond my limited power of perception into the complicated mind of Mr. BF, but there need be some interaction in order to carry out an effective promo campaign.

BF can handle the promo for his '74 RAH gig CD all by himself (although PM and TGPT were in the band), but that won't work for a deluxe release of the first Roxy album. And in terms of promoting the Roxy Music re-release the most valuable thing will be to get Eno on board and involved. But it's REALLY hard to predict what Eno might do (or not do) in this regard...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:39 pm 

It would genuinely have been a thrill to experience and all for a great cause.

If I try to comment in the now customary style of the forum-

The singers voice is so weak nowadays and does the songs no justice, relies on backing singers too much. Never the same strength of voice since the early 80's, I would never go and see.

Why do they always play the same set of popular favourites. Jealous Guy, god help me. I would only go see them if the played an obscure track for fans only.

When are the going into the studio, they look so happy on stage, it's an injustice.

When will the DVD be issued of this amazing event? I'm sure there was a camera present. This is too important an event not to have a record of it.

Topiary (in lighter mood)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 am 

Well Smudge, you and Jocelyn certainly got one up on us all there, you lucky, lucky, sods :mrgreen:

Apparently there are pics on Jonny Armstrong's 'Andy MacKay-Roxy Music' Facebook page?

I have a good shot of Andy and Percy (sporting Dad's 'first album' haircut!)
Attachment:
Percy MacKay, like father like son!.png
Percy MacKay, like father like son!.png [ 219.68 KiB | Viewed 14134 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:41 am 

This is for the Roxy historians - is this the first time that PM AM and PT played live without BF (apart from any guest appearances with 801, Ferry etc)?

I think it is and I think it was probably done intentionally even as a wind up.

Happy to be corrected

R

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 am 

le freak wrote:
Smudge wrote:
I guess maybe the absence of pre-publicity may have been so that nobody ran off with the crazy notion of a Roxy reunion (which seems as unlikely as ever). It'd be nice to hear more live stuff from all of them, but Paul's London visit with Lindisfarne seems to be the only gig on the horizon.

Although it seems fun enough being there, I have to admit that this is interesting to me as far as it "means something". You could say that Bryan was busy preparing his US tour and unable to show up. I take it that these guys are willing to play together and doesn`t look tired of each other as at the 2011 Australian leg. At least that means something. Who knows if there`s something in the air?

We all know where the block is to any "reunion"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:20 pm 

Apologies for this bulk "reply to all"...

Richard - pretty sure Eno wasn't hiding, although he's quite small, so you never know... ;)

Jerry & Stabbs - plenty of photos & Youtube clips (single songs) on Facebook; my iPhone photo of Phil ended up on his own FB page, which is quite flattering in a small way! :) There seemed to be a video camera running throughout, so you never know, although it was a charity gig, so maybe not...

Hard Rain & Rendezvous - yes, I felt very lucky indeed; right time, right place (rather than ATAP for once!)... :D

le freak & DCJ - I wish you were right, le freak, but I don't think this should be read as a sign of anything. My guess is that Suggs maybe recruited Andy and Yaron asked Phil; perhaps a drummer let them down and Paul was the cavalry who saved the day (his was a flying visit and he was heading back northwards the same night)? I agree with DCJ that they should all, together with Eno, be invited to promote the deluxe boxed set; fingers crossed!

Topiary - love the irony! ;)

Richard - I think it's probably the first time that all three have been on stage without BF, at least at a paying gig (i.e. it might conceivably have also happened at a family birthday party or wedding reception) since the 801 Live In Manchester CD (Eddie Jobson guested in lieu of Andy on the Hull CD).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:29 pm 

Roxy would not be Roxy when it should still come to a reunion ... this is just so special about this band

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:05 pm 

Uwe wrote:
Roxy would not be Roxy when it should still come to a reunion ... this is just so special about this band

Nah, you`d get more musical muscles. -More structure and interesting music, more drama. BF is Roxy lite, no matter how you view it, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:35 am 

Thanks for this post! I envy you, Smudge, for having seen this rare concert and for having spoken to some Roxy members. It warms my heart to see the pics of my heroes. To me Roxy Music was always more than Bryan Ferry ;) .

Don't get me wrong, fellow members, I am glad that BF is still publishing songs and still touring the world. But to listen to Andy's oboe, to his unique style of playing the saxophone, to listen to Phil's guitar sound and to Paul's powerful drumming is more than this 8-) .

I suppose it is Bryan who isn't interested in any kind of Roxy reunion and that is something I 'll never understand. Why doesn't he conserve the Roxy heritage? This unique band is where he comes from and he still uses Roxy songs for his shows :? .

By the way, wasn't the Roxy Deluxe album due to release in July ???