VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Late middle age blues
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 pm 

How are my fellow RM fans dealing with the absence of the highs we've long shared? I haven't quite been there from day one, but was catching up from the release of FYP and old enough to attend the Country Life gig at the Newcastle City Hall. Every tour since then has been loyally followed but perhaps the initial excitement was only matched (several times!) in 2001. Those gigs were magnificent, perhaps heightened by the poignancy of time passed, and passing faster.
There have been plenty of good nights since then, but friends must share the sense of it winding down somewhat? How many more times will we Do The Strand!
How are comrades dealing with this? Has attention happily shifted onto more everyday matters? Of course the everyday matters more than those glittering highs. Challenging, though, at least to me.

Post subject: Re: Late middle age blues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 am 

I got into Roxy via Siren and Country Life literally a week or two after the US Siren tour.

More recently, I just think of missed opportunities like another album or two (which they may very well be contracted for). One could be a proper song album and one could be a suitable movie soundtrack (hello directors?) Other than that, nothing we can do but wait for the super deluxe reissues and or a dvd.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:40 pm 

[quote="VivaVoce"] How many more times will we Do The Strand!

Cher VivaVoce,

We will be doing The Strand forever. Retreating into the banality of what some describe as 'normal' is simply not an option.

Windswept has been ploughing this furrow since the Gasboard. No day goes by without a little Ferry of some description or another .....much to Mrs.W's chagrin. Despite my efforts of the last forty one years, she still doesn't completely get it. Quel bordel !

Of course, ATGB we may have to adapt our dance moves. W2 has long found a full Nijinsky pose difficult to maintain but that's a small thing.

Ferry Forever - Convalesance Never ! This has to be our mantra going forward. N'est-ce-pas?

Take heart VivaVoce and play 2HB immediately. It will remind you why Roxology is a religion.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 am 

Oh W2, you are ever the optimist, quaffing down the Kool-aid with wild abandon. I wish I could share your enthusiasm where everything related to BF (and thus Roxy) is good (excepting a certain craggy outcropping in turbulent waters). But VivaVoce's sentiments are more in line with my thoughts about Roxy/BF these days.

I was especially struck by VV's phrasing "the poignancy of time passed, and passing faster." Yes, I recall the excitement of the 2001 Roxy tour and the pleasure I took in seeing the gang in concert. But that was 16 years ago.... If I was in the summer of my life back then, where am I now?

Tick Tock Tick Tock. If BF is going to release the RAH '74 concert I just wish he would do it. Time keeps on slipping...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:47 pm 

The come down after performing a Roxy Musique show is pretty brutal too.

Regarding Newcastle 74; we will be recreating that show (as well as we can without an Eddie Jobson) when we play Washington in October.

It's taken us a long time to learn Beauty Queen and we will be performing it for the first time at that show.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:21 pm 

The 1974 tour was my first live experience of Roxy Music and I still think it was one of the best. Great set list. Good luck with the show Oliver.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 pm 

Actually one thing that does keep me going is the thought that BF is even older than me (as he always was!). I think, well, if he can do a big tour and perform at the Hollywood Bowl I can probably stay up for News at Ten. Although I did wonder whether the keyboard had positioned more centrally there to permit a bit more sitting down, on the quiet!
I also confess that I try to apply a Ferry taste test to my clothes shopping. Would he buy this/wear this? As you can imagine, this isn't a particularly fruitful strategy. I've hardly ever spotted him in Rohan bags (although I hear he is a big fan of the unique "technical" poly-cotton fabric).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 am 

VivaVoce wrote:
Actually one thing that does keep me going is the thought that BF is even older than me (as he always was!). I think, well, if he can do a big tour and perform at the Hollywood Bowl I can probably stay up for News at Ten. Although I did wonder whether the keyboard had positioned more centrally there to permit a bit more sitting down, on the quiet!
I also confess that I try to apply a Ferry taste test to my clothes shopping. Would he buy this/wear this? As you can imagine, this isn't a particularly fruitful strategy. I've hardly ever spotted him in Rohan bags (although I hear he is a big fan of the unique "technical" poly-cotton fabric).

Cher VivaVoce,

Reading this makes W2 think that you are already snapping out of your 'late middle age blues'.

There is much to celebrate. Our hero's energy and elegance in the autumn of his years and the fact that he is more mature than us is a constant source of inspiration.

Staying up for 'News At Ten' is a worthy first goal but kicking back with a Talisker and watching Le Grand Rex DVD is even more worthy. What a band that was! When you've mastered that one, W2 would thoroughly recommend a couple of evenings at Ronnie Scotts - inhaling that late night/early morning air will soon put a spring in your step.

Applying the Ferry test for the sartorial is also a thoroughly sane act albeit avoid at all costs vintage stores selling Bolero and GI outfits. As for your comment on Rohan Bags - don't be too sure. Who knows what the thinking man's country squire sports in deepest Sussex ? Just make sure you don't wear them at Ronnie Scotts!

Remember cher VivaVoce - 'Ferry Forever-Convalecence Never' and if you feel yourself flagging, just position that keyboard centrally and have a discreet rest. Windswept is going for his now!

Salutations,
W2