VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Their favourite album?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:40 pm 

Yes theirs, not ours for a change!

It's pretty well documented that Ferry's favourite album is 'For Your Pleasure'. Whereas Eno has always put his vote behind 'Stranded', largely because it was the first without him!

But what about The Emperor, Manzo and TGPT? Does anyone know if they've ever expressed any preferences? Might be very interesting?

I've never asked Andy this question, seems a bit creepy, plus the fact that I'm normally too busy talking about reed strengths, tip openings and baffles! But I do remember reading of his fondness for 'Country Life' as the album on which all members were firing on all cylinders.

So, anyone have any inside or archived knowledge on this question?

Post subject: Re: Their favourite album?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 pm 

I have a very strong recollection that TGPT indicate a while back on his web forum that FYP is his favortite Roxy album - and that Bogus Man iss his fav drum track.

At least this is my recollection as the years slip by...

Right now I'm listening on Youtube to the April 21 1979 Roxy gig in Pasadena with PM cranking out a blistering solo on Stronger Through the Years...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 pm 

Had the pleasure of meeting Phil and Andy prior to an Explorers gig in the 80s. Had to ask them this question! Phil mentioned FYP and Stranded, with FYP being his favourite. Andy mentioned Stranded and Country Life, with the latter being his favourite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 am 

Roger wrote:
Had the pleasure of meeting Phil and Andy prior to an Explorers gig in the 80s. Had to ask them this question! Phil mentioned FYP and Stranded, with FYP being his favourite. Andy mentioned Stranded and Country Life, with the latter being his favourite.

Excellent work Roger, thank you. This falls nicely into my thoughts on this, that Manzo and The Emperor liked the albums where they had more to do and were allowed to contribute and be credited as such.

So, what about TGPT? Somebody out there in Vivaland must know his favourite Roxy album?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:19 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
Roger wrote:

Excellent work Roger, thank you. This falls nicely into my thoughts on this, that Manzo and The Emperor liked the albums where they had more to do and were allowed to contribute and be credited as such.

So, what about TGPT? Somebody out there in Vivaland must know his favourite Roxy album?

I think TGPT mentioned that FYP was his fave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:33 pm 

Interesting, thanks Richard.

Must say that for most of my Roxy following years it was FYP hands down, every time, especially as Do The Strand was the first thing by them I ever heard.

But as the years/pounds have piled on, and with the help of the Newcastle City Hall 1974 bootleg, I have grown into Country Life more and more. As said elsewhere, a band at the peak of their powers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:49 pm 

Country Life is my favourite too - I think the Melody Maker/NME said the band displayed "kinetic energy like no other"

Or something similiar

Sums it up for me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:54 pm 

Richard wrote:
Country Life is my favourite too - I think the Melody Maker/NME said the band displayed "kinetic energy like no other" Or something similiar

That'd be the Melody Maker then, they loved Roxy in their day and NME weren't prone to using words like "kinetic" :D :lol: :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:22 pm 

Could this be the one Richard, this article from the NME mentions "instrumental kineticism"? :geek:

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:04 am 

:o Wow, good ol' NME, I'm impressed!