VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music - Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm 

Delighted to hear that - can't wait. On the subject of Eno's contribution/promotion, I think he should and has a right to. IMHO without the contribution of the whole band, I don't think RM would be the album it is. It is also worth noting that Graham Simpson played a big role in helping BF develop the songs (incl Psalm) from the word go.

I would hope the whole band, including Eno, gets behind the reissue of one of the most important British albums ever made.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:25 pm 

I'm not really happy with remastering stuff. I thought the reproduction of Pyjamarama, my favourite Roxy single, on the Street Life compilation was a disgrace; for a while I wondered why I loved the original so much, the repro sounded like a newtered sloth.

If you fell in love with the first Roxy album and you are still here 45 years later because of it, why complain and change it? Yes, I know Bryan whinged about it over the years, but it was of its time.

Nice to have different versions and outtakes mind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:20 pm 

Perhaps there will an effort to "improve" the sound of RM The Album, but I don't think BF and the gang will do all that much to change the basic sonic character of the various tracks. They are what they are and so be it.

Regarding Graham Simpson, when was the last gig he played with Roxy? Just wondering. Did he perform any live gigs after the the album recording was complete? Again, just wondering...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 pm 

Graham Simpson's last live performance with Roxy Music was on 3rd March 1972 before the debut album was recorded.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 pm 

Interesting. He records the album, gets suited up for the album cover pixs, and then, when things are getting serious, jumps ship.

I can only imagine that there were some "heated" phone calls precipitated by his departure....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 am 

DCJ wrote:
Interesting. He records the album, gets suited up for the album cover pixs, and then, when things are getting serious, jumps ship.

I can only imagine that there were some "heated" phone calls precipitated by his departure....

Sadly, Graham suffered from mental health problems and depression after the death of his mother in February 1972.

He said in 2010.........“I was not compos mentis, I couldn’t concentrate or appreciate anything they were doing at the time but I now do. “
“The last words Bryan said to me were “get well and come back but I never did”.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 pm 

Roxy wrote:
Graham Simpson's last live performance with Roxy Music was on 3rd March 1972 before the debut album was recorded.

8-)

I understood that Graham left after the first album was recorded during the end of March 1972 but before it was released in June 1972 - Rik Kenton played on Virginia Plain which was recorded in July 1972

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm 

Graham's final live on stage performance with Roxy Music was at Bristol University show on the 3rd March 1972.

From 14th - 29th March the Roxy Music album was recorded.

Rik Kenton joined the band in early May when Graham Simpson left.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 pm 
Site Owner

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROXY-MUSIC-S-T ... Swk-1Z7b4Z

J. O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm 

@J. O'B.

strong news !!! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next