VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music - Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:18 pm 

Quote:
After all this time and much wringing of feather boas, the most loyal, discerning and patient fans in the world have been exposed to this most sort after of items via not a press release, not an e-mail, not from the music press, not from our hero's own website but from an e-bay advertisement placed by somebody in Japan wanting to make a couple of bucks !

I don't know what the Japanese translation of the "naughty step" would be but yesterday after the listing "ended early" (with 1 of 5 available sold) that message was replaced with.......

This listing (**********) has been removed, or this item is not available.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am 

Chers amis!

Quel bordel! Qui, W2, c'est vraiment drôle ; nouvelles de Japon à les feather boas!
But let's hope the product will satisfy the feather boas. If the sound quality is improved, I will put it on my wishing list for birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 am 

Oberon wrote:

Quel bordel! Qui, W2, c'est vraiment drôle ; nouvelles de Japon à les feather boas!

Cher Oberon,

C'est vrai, le lancement est extrêmement drôle. Le bordel complet !

Mais, like you, I hope the feather boa lovers get all they want for their birthday and Christmas presents.

If the book looks good, Windswept fears he will put his hand in his pocket again !

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:36 pm 

Well, after getting the picture of the deluxe edition last week, it appears that the trail has gone cold... :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:35 pm 

Yes, I'm a little concerned that this long awaited Christmas present will not be in my stocking this year now!

Maybe the guys are waiting for a time when Roxy's stock is high. This has happened before regarding reunion tours, books and new bands emerging with a Roxy influence.

Unfortunately there are times when their stock market value also seems to dip, as even the most ardent fans will agree. They are a band similar to Pink Floyd that have wide fluctuations in their current market merit - probably because they're not classic old school blues based rock n roll. Led Zep, for instance, always have a big nostalgia demand because they played classic rock exceptionally well.

I noticed a decline in fortune about the time David Bowie died when Marc Bolan seemed to be the journalists go-to Bowie comparison. This was a big insult to Ferry & Roxy, who were about the only 70s act to hold a candle to the Thin White Duke. About the same time I was watching University Challenge on the Beeb and neither team of these young intellectuals could identify Virginia Plain! It was shameful considering the immense influence Roxy and the individual members have placed on modern music ever since.

By contrast Brian Eno seems to go from strength to strength. Those young musos at BBC6Music can't praise him enough and his recent album The Ship was lauded as a masterpiece, with a lot of these young writers laying on the floor of his studio to better listen to the next new thing. Now Brian is a genius in my opinion, but this gushing praise was borderline embarrassing for one of his lesser pieces.

My point being, will we have to wait until the pulling power of nostalgic Roxy meets the current heights of Mr Eno's marketability?

I hope not - this is long overdue....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm 

Thanks for the post Miniluv; very interesting...

It is amazing how Eno is "worshiped" for whatever he decides to release. No doubt he is Major Figure in Pop Music (with Pop Music broadly defined), but his output can be "variable" to put it gently...

Regardless, promotion of a Deluxe version of "RM the Album" will depend heavily on connecting the album to Eno...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:36 pm 

[quote="Miniluv")

...Maybe the guys are waiting for a time when Roxy's stock is high. This has happened before regarding reunion tours, books and new bands emerging with a Roxy influence.

..... Led Zep, for instance, always have a big nostalgia demand because they played classic rock exceptionally well.

... who were about the only 70s act to hold a candle to the Thin White Duke. About the same time I was watching University Challenge on the Beeb and neither team of these young intellectuals could identify Virginia Plain! It was shameful considering the immense influence Roxy and the individual members have placed on modern music ever since.

... Now Brian is a genius in my opinion, but this gushing praise was borderline embarrassing for one of his lesser pieces.

My point being, will we have to wait until the pulling power of nostalgic Roxy meets the current heights of Mr Eno's marketability?

I hope not - this is long overdue....[/quote]

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Miniluv makes some great and interesting points.

However when it comes to the release, W2 fears that the idea of 'Studio One' waiting for RM's stock to rise before launching credits their marketing machine with way too much sophistication. History would tell us that they are fully paid up members of the 'fire, steady, aim' club when it comes to these things.The fact that it exists tells W2 it will be out soon and hopefully Miniluv will have it in their Christmas stocking.

The point about Led Zeppelin is so true but their equity is enhanced enormously by Plant's refusal to participate and by restricting their 'reunion' to a very limited affair ( Plant's latest solo album; 'Carry Fire' is marvellous by the way).

Concerning 'University Challenge' well, what can Windswept say?
The only comment has to be that we are in the hands of the Philistines and we should worry about the future of the planet. W2 is sure there are some good millennials out there but when he considers the state of their hair, their sartorial choices and listens to their whinging political correctness - it's not surprising that sex, drugs and rock & roll is having a hard time. Windswept blames their parents!

Last but by no means least, 'The Feather Boa Man'. There is no denying he has done great things but in Windswept's eyes his stock took a heavy tumble when he produced music for people that don't like music (Coldplay). Ok Bryan has made some faux pas - modelling for M&S (clothes for people that don't like clothes) wasn't his finest hour. But he did get fired from that gig. That kind of made up for it and restored his street cred. W2's point is 'Feather Boa' will help but without our hero they wouldn't sell any.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:41 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
[quote="Miniluv")

...Maybe the guys are waiting for a time when Roxy's stock is high. This has happened before regarding reunion tours, books and new bands emerging with a Roxy influence.

..... Led Zep, for instance, always have a big nostalgia demand because they played classic rock exceptionally well.

... who were about the only 70s act to hold a candle to the Thin White Duke. About the same time I was watching University Challenge on the Beeb and neither team of these young intellectuals could identify Virginia Plain! It was shameful considering the immense influence Roxy and the individual members have placed on modern music ever since.

... Now Brian is a genius in my opinion, but this gushing praise was borderline embarrassing for one of his lesser pieces.

I hope not - this is long overdue....

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Miniluv makes some great and interesting points.

However when it comes to the release, W2 fears that the idea of 'Studio One' waiting for RM's stock to rise before launching credits their marketing machine with way too much sophistication. History would tell us that they are fully paid up members of the 'fire, steady, aim' club when it comes to these things.The fact that it exists tells W2 it will be out soon and hopefully Miniluv will have it in his or her Christmas stocking.

The point about Led Zeppelin is so true but their equity is enhanced enormously by Plant's refusal to participate and by restricting their 'reunion' to a very limited affair ( Plant's latest solo album; 'Carry Fire' is marvellous by the way). Had Roxy just done the '01 tour, they would have maintained more of their mystique.

Concerning 'University Challenge' well, what can Windswept say?
The only comment has to be that we are in the hands of the Philistines and we should worry about the future of the planet. W2 is sure there are some good millennials out there but when he considers the state of their hair, their sartorial choices and listens to their whinging political correctness - it's not surprising that sex, drugs and rock & roll is having a hard time. Windswept blames their parents!

Last but by no means least, 'The Feather Boa Man'. There is no denying he has done great things but in Windswept's eyes his stock took a heavy tumble when he produced music for people that don't like music (Coldplay). Ok Bryan has made some faux pas - modelling for M&S (clothes for people that don't like clothes) wasn't his finest hour. But he did get fired from that gig. That kind of made up for it and restored his street cred. W2's point is 'Feather Boa' will help but without our hero they wouldn't sell any.

Salutations,

Windswept[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:10 am 

Does anybody know if the release date of the deluxe-edition later this month, that was mentioned in the the now deleted ebay-ad is valid? John?

Ole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:33 am 

I think we all appreciate John that you are not in a position to jump the gun and confirm anything ahead of the official announcement. However if the release date rumoured on the ebay ad was correct then it is going to leave an extremely short time for publicity etc between announcement and release. Is BF still rewriting the press release???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next