VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music FYP Tour DVD??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:53 pm 

Any thoughts or info on this? Since we in the US did not get the For Your Pleasure tour from a few years back, I wasa hoping there would at least be a dvd. Especially, since there were so many great (non-hit) songs performed (Sentimental Fool, Prairie Rose, etc.).

Region free or NTSC thank you very much. :)

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music FYP Tour DVD??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:49 am 

Hi roberton and welcome here.

Certainly some shows were recorded/filmed but it seemed that the jovial camaraderie that was evident in 2001 amongst the band was in short supply by the time the FYP shows took place, for whatever reasons. Maybe because of the abortive recording sessions during the intervening years that some members seemed certain were for RM9 but turned out not to be. Maybe because Bryan didn't want to be in a band situation again after years of solo recording and touring, not even the benevolent dictatorship that Roxy in its later years seemed to be.

A shame - because there was some great musicianship in the 2011 shows and some welcome rarities in the set list (Sentimental Fool, To Turn You On etc). But maybe it's not a tour that those associated with it look back on too fondly and so would prefer not to revisit. Just my guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 pm 

The lack of any official footage from the 2011 is frustrating. Even more frustrating is the lack of official footage from the Siren tour in '75/'76, particularly as it's common knowledge that the Empire Pool gig was filmed and recorded.

BF has said that RM were "made an offer" to do the 2001 tour and perhaps the CD and DVD were part of that contract. Bit too much overacting on the DVD for my liking ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Owner

The Siren tour footage has survived and looks good enough to be included a potential 'Siren' deluxe edition if that was ever to be a plan.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm 

True2Life wrote:

A shame - because there was some great musicianship in the 2011 shows and some welcome rarities in the set list (Sentimental Fool, To Turn You On etc). But maybe it's not a tour that those associated with it look back on too fondly and so would prefer not to revisit. Just my guess.

Perpetual Procrastinators,

The great 'True2Life' sums it up beautifully.

W2 saw this show in Sydney.

The set list was probably the best ever. It really was superb.

The band line up was absolutely their strongest and the gig was note perfect.

BUT, deytont had completely left the room and Geordie's Favourite Son looked like he would rather have been anywhere other than on that stage.

Sad but true.

a bientôt ,

Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

My theory about that tour is that it :mrgreen: was the price BF had to pay to get out of an agreement to record a new Roxy album. It certainly felt as if he was there under duress. Having seen the shows in Newcastle and London I guess that means I saw the last ever Roxy gig in the UK?

Pure speculation, of course!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm 

VivaVoce wrote:
My theory about that tour is that it :mrgreen: was the price BF had to pay to get out of an agreement to record a new Roxy album.

Hipsters,

An interesting hypothesis from VivaVoce.

Having caught the show in Sydney, W2 had also assumed that the mauvaise vibe was attributable to end of fandango fatigue coupled with the Australian ticket debacle (their promoter screwed things up royally and a couple of shows were canceled).

A great shame because the line up and set list was really something else : Amazona, 2HB and Pyjamarama - will we ever hear them again?

And with Roxy supplemented by Ollie, Jorja and the fabulous Colin Good it all had so much going for it.

That said, Windswept did have a strong feeling on the night that he was experiencing his last 'Roxy Music' fandango mais, qui sait ?

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:08 pm 

O ye of little faith.
Never say never. Recent interviews by Phil indicate that anytime they want they can reconvene. It's the nature of the beast...in this case the beast that is Roxy Music.

Maybe a clue to this could be found in Bryan's recent live set, and Phil's recent live set.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 pm 

VivaVoce's take on this resonates most closely with my own. Roxy didn't have to wait until the Australian leg of the tour to look completely dysfunctional - it was there for all to see in the UK. None of the original band looked remotely interested in being on the stage - not just BF. Despite a setlist to die for, they were a band going through the motions. The contrast with 2001 couldn't have been more marked.
I just can't see any further live performances and even if there were I'd feel incredibly disappointed and rather short-changed if they turned out to be a re-run of the ironically named FYP shows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am 

Robertron wrote:
O ye of little faith.
Never say never. Recent interviews by Phil indicate that anytime they want they can reconvene. It's the nature of the beast...in this case the beast that is Roxy Music.

Maybe a clue to this could be found in Bryan's recent live set, and Phil's recent live set.

Bryan and Phil both know that, whatever subsequent work they go on to produce, a large section of their audience come to the live shows to hear the Roxy songs. This can be both a blessing and a curse for ex-members of successful bands - they have access to a larger audience than they might otherwise have, yet the said audience may be less interested in hearing later, more experimental work and only really interested in hearing "The Hits".

By touring under their own name they can still play the Roxy material but not have to deal with any inter-band issues.

Never say never but I would have thought the commercial incentives for continuing to revive Roxy as a touring entity must be waning by now, especially as Bryan has been so active in touring and playing this same material in recent years. Had RM9 emerged in the last decade and been a success things might have been different.