VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Super Deluxe Edition - Forum Members Reviews
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm 
Site Owner

Now that the Super Deluxe Edition is out, I have created this thread in the hope we can discuss it's content etc as the other threads are pages and pages long talking about 'when's it coming out', the price etc, all valid points but we are now at the stage where I hope fans can contribute here on their thoughts on the audio/video & visual stuff.

J.O'B.

P.S.

"me drums are falling to bits man" is the new "Your Application's Failed"

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Super Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

I just watched the clip from the Bataclan gig on the AnotherMan website. It’s raw and powerful. All that talent on stage and what a legacy they’ve gifted us.
Rox-ee, Rox-ee, Rox-ee......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm 

No offence John but is it only me who find it frustrating having so many different threads for the same product? I'm a member of another (TV) forum where posts on the same topic are combined by the moderator and it works so much better.

Anyway, I'll stop being a killjoy. My Deluxe package has been dispatched today and cannot wait for its arrival in spite of the eye watering price (Amazon's totalitarianism is complete!). Been enjoying the many articles and reviews on the release this evening but best of all has to be the various pieces on the Another Man website, especially their BF interview...

http://www.anothermanmag.com/

...fantastic seeing Bryan in such great form and looking so well too, the old mans still got it. Great to get a glimpse of his humble abode as well. It's all a bit like 1972 when the album itself was released to such a slew of favourable reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm 

Dean, I think John's point was to start a discussion about the content on the box set solely and not have to comb through a number of peripheral issues, such as price and release date; which I think is not a bad idea for a new topic.

Anyhow, like you, mine should be here today and I can't wait. Loved "The Bob" and "2HB" versions I've heard so far and am looking forward to hearing the entire CDs from start to finish.

Happy listening and viewing, friends!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:18 am 

The AnotherMan interview was moderately interesting (perhaps too much fawning by the interviewer?) but I got to wondering why the lighting on BF was so dark, with half his face in a deep shadow. Hmmm. Who knows what that was all about...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 am 

First off, my set arrived today, and I'm still shocked that amazon.com honored my original pre-order price of $89.99
Maybe I should have originally ordered two sets at that price and kept the second for insurance...lol

Next, I need to say that for the price I paid for it, the set is absolutely worth every single penny spent!
The book is one of the best books ever put together for an anniversary album reissue, right up there with the likes of the King Crimson, Alan Parsons Project, and the "Sgt Pepper's" box sets.
One can really tell the amount of time and care that went into the making of this box set, and I'm more than pleased with the results.

I'm almost finished listening to the full 5.1 surround mix, and I already know that this is definitely getting a '9' vote from me. (It would be a '10' if they went with either DVDA-V or Blu-Ray as the format.) This 5.1 surround mix is right up there with Steven Wilson's best 5.1 surround mixes, and there's hardly anything I would have done differently myself.

I will go into more detail about the 5.1 surround mix when I can, but let me just say that if any of you can ever find this set for less than $100, get it! It's one of the best sets ever put together, and I cannot recommend it enough!

PS Is it ok to now start the countdown for the "For Your Pleasure" 50th anniversary box set in 2023?! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 pm 

Hedonistic Hipsters,

*Amazona delivered this work of art yesterday directly to W2's door and he has been enthralled ever since and declares it a veritable tour de force. It works at every level.

Yes, the re-mastered album sounds great and the extras are interesting but the real piece de resistance is the book itself - it's truly sumptuous and brilliantly curated.

What W2 feared could have been multiple pages of photos featuring men in platform shoes is actually a brilliant and beautiful tribute to an amazing piece of music history.

The text in the form of an essay by Richard Williams is absolutely first class and gives a blow by blow account of Roxy's origins, the development of their music and, of course, the album itself. All is extremely well done. Nobody has a better understanding of what they were trying to achieve than Williams and he is an excellent choice. He has done them more than proud.

There is also loads of other interesting content. W2 found the good Doctor Puxley's expansion and interpretation of the lyrics absolutely fascinating and the visual presentation and binding of the book off the richter scale.

Windswept knows that this has been a long time in the hopper and that the gustation period has had many a feather boa lover whinging and whining but, at the end of the day, it has been more than worth the wait. Ferry's perfectionism has payed off again.

This is an absolute must for any self respecting Roxologist's coffee table.

W2 was teleported back to Redcar Jazz club in 1972 and will remain there all weekend. He can't ask for more than that.

Oh, the thrill of it all - viva Roxy and viva Ferry.

Salutations,

Windswept

Ps Smudge, please note, * this is a play on words and not a spelling mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm 

When I awoke last Friday I thought today's somehow like Christmas for die-hard Roxy fans 8-) . And after DHL had delivered the parcel and I had unpacked it I was fascinated by the mere weight of this box. Moreover it smelled really 'analogue' like the sleeves of my records I bought in my youth.

Although 135 Euros are really a lot of money I learned fast that every cent was spent well. The book is made carefully and with a lot of love and the words of Mr. Williams (which I read in one go 8-) ) were more than interesting. I didn't know that Graham Simpson was such an important figure in the formation process of Roxy Music. Or that Andy McKay saw himself rather as an oboist than a saxophone player.

The first disc is superfluous as we all own this one in multiple editions. The second disc was really interesting - l didn't know that they recorded their first album more or less live in the studio with little overdubs. I couldn't get the impression that Graham lost the plot as Andy said but we don't know what was going on in the studio.

Bryan was such a good singer at that time, Graham's bass lines were fantastic (Chance Meeting, The Bob) and Paul kept their avant garde style together rhythmically. Not to mention Andy's oboe as part of a rock band or Eno's avant garde synthesizer passages.

I loved the extended version of The Bob's 6/8 middle section on disc two (or three). At the moment I am not through with the discs and still don't know how to listen to the Steven Wilson remix because I don't have a 5.1 device.

It's a pity that there's no Wilson stereo remix or extended studio versions (like Ladytron). But nothing is perfect and I can recommend the SDE to all members who are still hesitating.

After all listening to the Roxy sound of 1972 (and 1973) is still like a UFO has landed and some guys in strange dresses are playing the music of their planet. I can still remember how it was when I was 13 and this sound was so much different from the music of my other heroes at that time (like Beatles, Kinks, Small Faces, Rod Stewart, Uriah Heep etc. pp).

As a final comment I can only say it with WS2:

Oh, the thrill of it all - viva Roxy and viva Ferry :D !!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 am 

Why 2 topics with the same subject :?: :?:

Post subject: Super Deluxe Edition - Forum Members Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am 
Site Owner

Hi jean, if you read the opening post on this I had thought it may be a good idea to use this thread to talk about the actual deluxe edition and it's contents now that it has been released.

The other threads were full of chat of when is it coming out etc and the price, both valid conversations but I thought this one could filter out the reviews from members who have bought this release.

I think maybe on hindsight this may not have been a good idea, what do members think, should I import this thread to the older ones?

I have changed the Subject Heading to:
Super Deluxe Edition - Forum Members Reviews

J.O'B.