VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deluxe Edition - Roxy Music.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm 

One week on from the Announcement and as they say, Meh.
We waited so long and then, pause, wait until 2 February before we can properly evaluate.
Meantime, I got my hands on the first four Eno records, re- issued as vinyl 12" albums, not the 2 x 45 rpm 12"s , half speed remasters ( although , apparently they are very good) that came out in August.
I never bought the original records in the 70's because I was a Roxy/Ferry fan and I thought Eno a bit weird. Ha. Adolescence .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
One week on from the Announcement and as they say, Meh.
We waited so long and then, pause, wait until 2 February before we can properly evaluate.
Meantime, I got my hands on the first four Eno records, re- issued as vinyl 12" albums, not the 2 x 45 rpm 12"s , half speed remasters ( although , apparently they are very good) that came out in August.
I never bought the original records in the 70's because I was a Roxy/Ferry fan and I thought Eno a bit weird. Ha. Adolescence .

Well, if you are not familiar with them, they are all great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm 

wockawocka wrote:
I'm very pleased we finally have a release date. I'm most excited for the hardback book and demos. Reusing the 1999 Ludwig remaster of the album for a 2018 release is a curious choice - Ferry must prefer it to the flat transfer on the Complete Studio Recordings. No "The Numberer" either.

As has been mentioned, the price on the official site was jaw dropping at $173.99 without the bonus signed print (not to my taste anyway). If you're in the USA, I preordered the super deluxe edition off of Bull Moose this morning for $69.97 with free shipping and no sales tax (California resident). Curiously, they have the list price at $89.98. Unless Amazon US can beat that price by February, I'm comfortable paying that amount for the many years of work that went into creating this.

I received a measage from Bull Moose this morning that my pre-order has been canceled as Universal Music has increased the list price from $89.98 to $189.98 (also the list price on Amazon now). Even as a diehard who could afford it, I just can’t stomach paying that much for 3 CDs and DVD and book. I will wait for the resellers to sell it for a more reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:10 pm 

It's nice to hear that this loooonnnggg awaited release will finally be released. Although I'd like to hear the 1971 demo recordings, I think I'll pass on the not-so-inexpensive 4cd set and, sometime in later Feb or March get a copy of the 2cd set. Many of the Peel session recordings can be heard on youtube, but I will enjoy getting them on a high quality cd that is easily playable in my car...

Now what will be interesting to watch is exactly how the deluxe release will be promoted in the lead-up to Feb 2. No doubt there will interviews (in print and otherwise) so the question is: how many of the original band (minus GS of course) will participate? And will there be an occasion when all five meet up together to reminisce, etc.? And will Eno have anything to do with promoting the release?

Just wondering...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:01 pm 

Best offer so far now on manzanera.com
100 pounds

With t shirt
With signed postcard

Thanks to Phil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:06 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
One week on from the Announcement and as they say, Meh..

Am not quite in that place but time has definitely given me a more objective perspective. Initially I was just delighted to see the Bataclan footage available at long last and this remains the most attractive aspect of this release for me. I'm sure that footage, along with the BBC material, has been expensive to licence but it seems that there was potential to make this release so much better without really spending much extra money at all. Surely a more recent mix of the album needed to be included on the first disc and Steve Wilson sounds utterly bewildered as to why so little of his work is featured, especially when some of it was previewed previously on a niche Record Store Day release. Is this another case of Ferry, Ferry quite contrary? Or have they just not given this release their full attention? My money on on the latter if the omission of The Numberer (surely an oversight) and the lack of any form of Making of Documentary (which could have been directed by Isaac Ferrry) is anything to go by. There's no doubt that this product is overpriced although the 2-CD version is an even bigger rip-off IMO, including as it does the 1999 remaster, which can be picked up for next to nothing wherever you look, and the BBC sessions, which are also widely available. It's the other two discs along with the book that make this worth buying for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:51 pm 

Fellow Fandangoists,

After a wait that was only slightly longer than the construction of the Forth Road Bridge and one which has exhausted even the most ardent feather boa lovers, the Holy Grail of Roxy has arrived and ravishing it looks too.

Mark you, Windswept would have prefered it had the live footage come from Redcar Jazz Club instead of The Bataclan but a Geordie can't have everything.

All said,naturellement, W2 must have one mais a quel prix ?

Bryan and Phil seem to be fighting it out like Waitrose and Aldi with Bryan clearly positioning himself as the Waitrose of the world selling it at £130 with no discount or freebies.

Phil, on the other hand, is positioning himself clearly as the people's favourite and has adopted the Aldi approach and has come in at £100 plus a 'free' Manzanera T shirt - albeit W2 has noted that postage is extra.

Amazon UK are, so far, towing the Ferry line on pricing. Knocking only one penny off and coming in at £129.99 - clearly some genius in their marketing department thought that £130 was not a good impulse purchase price.

Doubtless, between now and February 2nd, the price will go up and down like a whore's drawers and there is always a chance that TGPT may wade in with a pound stretcher approach and knock them out at Grainger market for £50 ONO.

That said, can any sane 'Feather Boa Lover' seriously risk an 'out of stock' situation by waiting ?

W2 has to place his order but with who ? What should a guy or gal do ?

Now, if Bryan would throw in a complementary Smythson 'For Your Pleasure' note book, he would have W2's business in a heart beat. Notice Bryan that W2 says 'complementary' not 'free' - that makes it OK in the luxury goods business.

Windswept waits with bated breath.

Meanwhile W2 wishes all who haunt this hallowed cyber hall un
joyeux noel and a fabulous 2018.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:21 pm 

£50 and if you need any further inducement a free, high quality timepiece to compete on the watch front as well. Wide selection available from the lining of his coat. None of that 12.5 grand Ferry nonsense. You could buy half a canny street for that, man.
Merry Christmas W2 and everyone else here. Look forward to more erudite ddeliberations interspersed with customary nonsense in 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:32 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Phil, on the other hand, is positioning himself clearly as the people's favourite and has adopted the Aldi approach and has come in at £100 plus a 'free' Manzanera T shirt - albeit W2 has noted that postage is extra.

I ordered my copy this afternoon at jpc.de for 135 € incl. delivery (= 116 £). That is not far from the Manzanera offer. If Phil had signed the RM DE set I would have ordered it but I don't need a signed postcard and a t-shirt, sorry. So I am looking forward to receiving my copy in February. I didn't want to risk missing the Deluxe set because it is sold out ...

Christmas is just around the corner and I wish everybody in this forum a peaceful and happy Christmas and a good start to the New Year!

- pianoman -

PS: I am very excited about RM Deluxe and the Ferry show in 2018 8-) .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:26 am 

So Phil's branch of Aldi is now showing as "out of stock" on the box set. Perhaps Bryan has had a word with him and threatened to limit his supply if he doesn't stop undercutting him??? There is always hope for those of still hanging on for a better price that perhaps the good Mr Mackay may enter this cut-throat price war with his own special deal for us...

It is a shame that this has not arrived by the time that UKRichard's sprouts go on the boil on Xmas morning as hoped, but Roxy and Ferry have, like Network Rail, rarely run to a reliable timetable.

A happy Christmas one and all and hope to see some members of this hallowed cyberhall at the London Palladium in May.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next