VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deluxe Edition - Roxy Music.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Posting this link to this thread rather than JO'B's new topic as it's still a fairly generic contribution, not directly linked to the SDE content. However it's an interesting, timely and not unconnected read.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42701623

Very interesting UKRichard, thanks for posting the link. ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 am 

Indeed it is still available on Amazon. Plunge taken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:54 am 

In the Another Man interview w/ BF, there is a major hint regarding the FYPSDE. Bryan says we'll talk about that next time. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:38 am 

The cost of the Deluxe set has been mentioned here a few times, so just a quick info for those monitoring the development:

Amazon.de has two suppliers offering at €102 (new, but delivery late Feb/early March for whatever reason)

Amazon.de prime now at €120

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 pm 

Roxy Music has dropped from #22 to #92 on the sales only, (not including streaming), UK Album chart. I think it has dropped out of the combined sales/streaming chart.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 am 

I like the strange and weird stuff. I always have.
That’s what made Roxy art rock and not just rock, pop or prog.

CD1: This is a very familiar recording. It started it all. With/without Virginia Plain, why bother.

CD 2:
I never thought I’d ever hear those first demos. Fantastic insight into how the first song were composed. Put together by many parts with various themes. That’s so nice. There were literally many medleys in the beginning.
I find the sound quality of the demos stunning. I never thought they would be that good. They kept the quality so good, even with all those primitive overdubs. Impressive.

I also really enjoy the studio outtakes with the chatting. Somebody talked about an alternative album of outtakes, but that’s to stretch it. Some are just snippets. The more or less complete songs are great!

CD 3:
These recordings have been an important part of my love for RM for the last 40 years. First on vinyl boots, cassette tape trading and poor MW radio. Later on cdrs with speed problems and cdrs without.
I’ve never heard them in such perfect quality before. I can now hear details that I’ve never heard before.
And that’s a revelation to me.

The DVD:
Familiar with most of the videos, except Bataclan. Now presented in great colour and sound.
To me the Bataclan recording is an invaluable treasure, so cool. Nice and unusual camera angle.

The Book:
Looks just fantastic.
Fantastic read.

Conclusion:
Treasures: the demos and the Bataclan video
+ to finally be able to hear all those early recordings in perfect sound quality (CD 3).
…and of course the book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 pm 

I opted to buy the two disc pack in Fopp for £13, making it my fifth purchase of the original album but my first shot at the Peel sessions.
I have also heard the demos disc, and I’ll go for that another time, ie when I feel ready for the whole package.
That said , the experience has re-kindled my interest in the debut , which wasn’t my first Roxy album , and seems much more interesting now -with the demos and outtakes - to my mature ears.
My musical journey of recent years has opened my mind to the god-like genius who is Brian Eno.
All in all, well worth the work and effort invested in the SDE. Credit to all involved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm 

Alan wrote:
Roxy Music has dropped from #22 to #92 on the sales only, (not including streaming), UK Album chart. I think it has dropped out of the combined sales/streaming chart.

The Deluxe edition is still hanging in for a third week (now at 96) in the sale of Physical Albums.
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/ph ... ums-chart/

On a personal note: Isn't 2HB from the Peel Sessions just perfect? Recorded 2 days before my 10th birthday!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 am 

Amazon in th US has dropped the price to $79.45, so I took the leap. Bit of a wait as it's out of stock but I'll wait. I just got the HomePod so the original price was just too much at once so now I get to enjoy both. Really like the Berlin Babylon stuff on the HomePod.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:42 pm 

AzArtist wrote:
Amazon in th US has dropped the price to $79.45, so I took the leap. Bit of a wait as it's out of stock but I'll wait. I just got the HomePod so the original price was just too much at once so now I get to enjoy both. Really like the Berlin Babylon stuff on the HomePod.

Cher AzArtist,

What a great deal !

You will certainly enjoy it. It's something of a masterpiece.

And yes, the Babylon Berlin tracks are great and they are a perfect fit with the series.

Salutations,

Windswept.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next