VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Super Deluxe Edition - Forum Members Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:16 pm 

There's an in-depth Roxy 33 at 45 feature on my stevepafford.com blog. Hope you enjoy it

www.stevepafford.com/album-review-roxy- ... e-edition/

Last edited by kleinhond on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 am 

If I could be so ridiculous as to quote myself, my wishes for the deluxe reissue were expressed back in March of 2012.

Quote:
I'd love to see a large proper hardbound book, CD, DVD, and perhaps a few art prints or posters. In my eyes, the book should be substantial and the centerpiece of the collection - Mick Rock's photo book Moonage Daydream is a great template.

I received my copy today, and at first viewing it's a home run. The quality of the book and obvious effort that went into curating and assembling it is evident. I can only hope there is the energy to create a similar treatment of For Your Pleasure, Stranded, and Country Life - I think For Your Pleasure super deluxe is all but a certainty given Ferry's affinity for that album.

It's a shame that Paul Thompson and Eno were not interviewed for the Richard Williams piece - I assume the lack of Eno footprint in all of this has more to do with his aversion to nostalgia than an orchestrated effort to minimize his contributions. I was glad to read that Ferry seemed to go out of his way to celebrate the importance and legacy of Graham Simpson in the Williams essay.

This will have a treasured place on my bookshelf, and I look forward to revisiting the book and content often.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 am 

Eno's absence is not so surprising given his contrarian ways when dealing with his past lives...

But the fact that TGPT's insights are missing casts a bit of a shadow over the whole production. How can the book be comprehensive if TGPT's voice is ignored??? Not good...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm 

My thoughts on the SDE:

Disc 1: not even removed this from its case yet, which I would have done had it contained the new Steve Wilson mix. And like most purists I prefer the original track list (i.e. w/o Virginia Plain), which is how I heard the album originally and how I like it best. Am I right in recalling that the 1999 cardboard remaster actually omitted VP? If so then its inclusion here is even more bizarre esp given that the 5.1 remix on disc 4 does revert to the original track list. VP, along with The Numberer, should have been tagged on to the end of this disc. Speaking of which, have we had any explanation yet for the absence of The Numberer? I recall BF mentioning in an interview in 1999 that an early version of The Numberer contained lyrics so really disappointing to see that omitted as well. And where is the extended version of Ladytron released on Record Store Day? Very annoying and makes you wonder what else was missed out.

Disc 2: really intriguing stuff here even if I’m unlikely to return to it too often. Fantastic to finally hear the much talked about demo tape if only to prove how much Thompson and Manzanera were eventually to add to proceedings. Loved the outtakes as well, great to hear the band having so much fun and the musical highlights include BF’s isolated piano track on Chance Meeting and the impromptu jazz jam on The BOB.

Disc 3: already had the BBC sessions on bootleg though don’t have this to hand and the three tracks from May 1972 don’t sound immediately recognisable so not sure I’ve heard them before. The general consensus appears to be that Roxy improved with age across 1971-72 but I’m not so sure. I certainly prefer three of the tracks from the first BBC session (If There Is Something – great guitar picking from O’List, The BOB – gotta love those war sirens & that playful mid-song riff, & the very poignant version of Sea Breezes) to when the band performed and seemed a bit over familiar with them on subsequent sessions. Not that we get to compare If There Is Something as the 10 minute version, which showcases Thompson’s talents, is omitted along with an admittedly less memorable performance of Bitters End. Frustrating for the completists amongst us especially as it wouldn’t surprise me if these tracks eventually see the light of day on a standalone release that has the likes of myself tempted to double dip.

Disc 4: Nice to have some of Roxy’s most memorable early screen moments together here on one disc, particularly as I never tire of watching them. I remember the excitement when I first saw the Remake Remodel video and it’s still so damn cool, as is Roxy’s debut TV performance, Ladytron on the Old Grey Whistle Test. I believe Roxy also performed Remake Remodel on that show and its omission here presumably means that it’s long since been junked along with Bob Harris’ disparaging remarks about the band. Also nice to see the Full House performances minus timecodes. The real highlight, however, is the Bataclan footage, Roxy’s first live performance outside the UK, which I’d long hoped to see released officially having witnessed enticing snippets previously. Slight shame that the original footage hasn’t been located, which means that the broadcaster talks over part of The BOB and that we only get an abridged If There Is Something. But still this is Roxy at their best. Ferry in particular is in fantastic voice, I’d always felt his voice was a bit weak on the first album but I’ve changed my mind after listening to the various performances from the SDE, particularly this Paris performance. Lovely to finally have a live visual performance of Sea Breezes with the original line-up as well and all of this filmed by a lone cameraman, the intriguingly named Claude Ventura who I’ve been doing a bit of research on since watching the footage.

Book: I can only add to the plaudits, a fabulous piece of work that really captures the joie-de-vivre of the time. One picture in particular with BF and Eno mock fighting for control of the mic had me smiling even if it did end up end up being somewhat prophetic. The only issue was the flimsy cardboard disc covers, which were a little bit torn as a result of being forcibly inserted into their slots. No big deal, however, and overall this has been worth it, particularly when compared to exorbitant concert prices these days. With a few minor reservations this Super Deluxe Edition is a fitting tribute to what IMHO is the greatest album ever.

Last edited by Dean on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:54 pm 

Dean wrote:
The only issue was the flimsy cardboard disc covers, which were a little bit torn as a result of being forcibly inserted into their slots.

Send an e-mail to customerservice@tmstor.es. Be sure to include your order number, or other proof of purchase, together with a description and/or photo of the damage, and a note of your full mailing address.

The DVD sleeve that came with my set was torn on one side. I wrote to customer service over the weekend, and received a replacement DVD sleeve on Wednesday. No hassle, great service.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm 

Dean wrote:
My thoughts on the SDE:

Book: I can only add to the plaudits, a fabulous piece of work that really captures the joie-de-vivre of the time. One picture in particular with BF and Eno mock fighting for control of the mic had me smiling even if it did end up end up being somewhat prophetic. The only issue was the flimsy cardboard disc covers, which were a little bit torn as a result of being forcibly inserted into their slots. No big deal, however, and overall this has been worth it, particularly when compared to exorbitant concert prices these days. With a few minor reservations this Super Deluxe Edition is a fitting tribute to what IMHO is the greatest album ever.

Hipsters,
Dean is correct. This is the main reason to invest.
The book is a masterpiece and a must for any Roxologist.
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am 

The album has entered at no 47 in the official album chart this week. Not sure if that takes into account all versions or not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pm 

Jerry Nunn wrote:
The album has entered at no 47 in the official album chart this week. Not sure if that takes into account all versions or not.

Official sales of 2,149. Again, not sure if that is all versions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm 

My copy arrived about 40 minutes ago and, while I have only had time to gingerly flick through the contents so far, my first impression is that this package is straight out of the top drawer.

However, as a prickly Scot, I almost immediately spotted one glaring inaccuracy in the book. Unless my geography is flawed, all of the venues listed in the UK Tour 1972 are in England, so this heading is a misnomer.

Not to worry! In the interests of accuracy I suggest that members simply put a pen through the offending heading and correct it by hand. That should do the trick!