VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I have changed the Subject Heading to:
Super Deluxe Edition - Forum Members Reviews
J.O'B.

OK, it's clearer now !

Post subject: Re: Super Deluxe Edition - Forum Members Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 am 

Hi John

I think that a thread dedicated to discussion on the content of RMSDE is a good idea as this should help maintain focus.

It also makes sense for you to amend the subject heading as you have done for this thread as the original heading was obviously causing a bit of confusion despite the explanation in your OP.

The other thread should naturally start to fizzle out soon as discussion on price and release date etc is presumably pretty much exhausted.The only danger I see is that somebody might post something about RMSDE content in there (in which case you might want to transfer over to this thread if you can). Personally I am not fazed about 2 or more threads running on ostensibly the same subject matter (particularly as they might be exploring different points) but I can see that this might irk the more “tidy minded” amongst us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 am 

Hi Super Deluxe Lovers.

I'm loving the the DEMOS, OUT-TAKES & BBC SESSIONS DISCS.

Is anyone else having a problem with the Demo disc?
Mine starts jumping/skipping on Bitters End (track 14) at 4 minutes into the track and carries on through VP.

Anyone else? Or should I be contacting tmstores?

Otherwise, very happy with my purchase. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 pm 

On the subject of content generally, why is VP on the flagship disc? I understand, in terms of historical context, that it is reasonable for it to feature in the overall RMSDE package but (while recognising that the knob twiddlers had to do their bit to keep pace with evolving technology over the years so we can’t (or want to?) replicate the needle on vinyl sound of 1972’s technology) isn’t it a no-brainer to expect that a celebration package of an album should at least include a version of that album with the original track list?

It is probably just me getting old and grumpy but I still find it a bit incongruous, whenever I play the 1st album, when VP pops up in the middle of the original side 1. It definitely changes the dynamics of the listening experience for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 pm 

Avondale:
You make a good point. VP is really quite different in sound and texture than all the tracks recorded in March '72 that comprise the original album. And of course Rik Kenton not Graham Simpson played bass on VP (I think the only studio recording that includes RK is VP). If you grew up with an original RM album that didn't include VP then it just doesn't sound right when VP pops up in the middle of a cd reissue.

Although slightly different, a comparable disjuncture relates to the first version of Angel Eyes that was featured on the original release of Manifesto and then subsequently replaced by the "disco" single remix on all subsequent reissues of the album. The disco version is quite jarring when heard in the context of the other "East Side" tracks on Manifesto; and when you listen to the great original version of Angel Eyes that was included in the Thrill of it All Boxset you really experience the difference. But that's something that BF and the gang will have to deal with when they focus on a Deluxe version of Manifesto which, by my calculation, should happen around the year 2525 (if Man is still alive)...

Last edited by DCJ on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 pm 

DCJ: "But that's something that BF and the gang will have to deal with when they focus on a Deluxe version of Manifesto which, by my calculation, should happen around the year 2525 (if Man is still alive)..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 pm 

I would like to review it but having ordered it (and had payment taken through paypal) on 8th December from the Roxy Music shop I had to contact them yesterday as I hadn't heard anything from them and apparently they are "waiting for the Original Album Release Print to arrive with there being a slight delay on these arriving at our facility". Paid top whack (£179) for the box set and double cd, it would have been nice to have been informed and I'm still none the wiser as to when I will be receiving it. Impressed, I don't think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 pm 

wrighta:
You have every reason to be extremely angry over the "service" provided by the RM website. It's not like they didn't have a loooonnnggg approach to the release date. Ridiculous.

And people wonder why Amazon has come to dominate the e-commerce space....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 am 

wrighta wrote:
I would like to review it but having ordered it (and had payment taken through paypal) on 8th December from the Roxy Music shop I had to contact them yesterday as I hadn't heard anything from them and apparently they are "waiting for the Original Album Release Print to arrive with there being a slight delay on these arriving at our facility". Paid top whack (£179) for the box set and double cd, it would have been nice to have been informed and I'm still none the wiser as to when I will be receiving it. Impressed, I don't think.

Sounds like BS on their part.

I, too, ordered the super-deluxe edition, with signed print, via the official site, on 08/12/17. Mine was delivered, in one huge box, on 02/02/18. Print number 119/500. So, there shouldn’t be a delay caused by waiting on the signed prints to arrive because they’ve already received them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 am 

wrighta wrote:

Same position here Wrighta, ordered early the same items as you and still waiting, not impressed at all with the emails I have exchanged with "Customer Services". Townsend Music (for the official Roxy Music store) seem to have a strange system when fulfilling orders as I know two people who ordered after I did who have received their orders. It does not seem fair when a limited edition item is involved that they are not sent in order of date/time order placed? They seem to have sent out all the orders for abroad first as I know one recipient who got their order on Saturday with the signed poster having quite low special edition number. Last week it was also advertised online at the Roxy Music store that there were still some RM Deluxe sets (with signed poster) at £150 still available and to "order while you can". If this was the case why were all previous orders not fulfilled in time for the release date!!

8-)