VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: (Shocking) New Insights about the (never released) new A
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 am 

The turning point was probably the release of the Dance Away single, which saved Manifesto from being a commercial disappointment. Personally, I liked side one of the Album, and would include it as the "Roxy Music" I treasure.
But with the commercial success (Flesh and Blood & Avalon), a new audience was won.... and with F&B including two covers, the best time as I knew it had gone by...
But having said that, I would take the never released Album anytime/anywhere even without the lyrics :-)

Roxy Ruled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 am 

The vocal contingent of our audience greet songs like 2HB or Just Another High with sheer joy and of course sing or dance in response. Watching 50+ year old men singing "I'm just another crazy guy" is a joy for us on stage and we played The Bob for the first time recently and seeing the audience jump up and sing along "Too many times beautiful..." was a sight to behold.

Conversely I have heard groans from a small section of the audience when we play Slave to Love or Jealous Guy. Some audience members make a friendly joke of going to the toilet at that point.

I saw BF on the ATGB tour and the first genuine ROAR from the audience was for Chance Meeting. I am convinced that this must have helped BF realise that there was great love for the early Roxy tracks and lead to the 2001 Roxy tour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am 

StephenPep wrote:
The turning point was probably the release of the Dance Away single, which saved Manifesto from being a commercial disappointment.

'Manifesto' wasn't quite the commercial disapointment many claim prior to the release of 'Dance Away'. After all it entered the chart in the top 10. 'Dance Away' did push the album back into the top 10 & undoubtedly extended the album's stay in the chart & the success of 'Angel Eyes' wouldn't have hurt sales either.

'Dance Away' was a huge seller - some estimates as high as 760,000 copies in the UK. It gave Roxy their first #1 single anywhere, (in Ireland), a hit in several other countries, including #44 in USA, where it helped the album reach #23 - the highest position by any Roxy album there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm 

DCJ wrote:
In my view, American college-aged women of the 1980s responded to the .................. less provocative album art of F&B and Avalon.

Crikey, although it has literally been staring me in the face for decades I had never considered that, along with the musical output, the artwork also changed quite dramatically to make the product more appealing to a different market but now that DCJ has pointed it out it is so obvious.....doh!!! There is no doubt that the artwork on the first 5 albums helped hook me in so it makes absolute sense to change the style of the album artwork when targeting a very different market.

Just off the top of my head, but didn’t the guys style themselves quite differently and much more softly over this period as well? I guess that all fits in with the objective of hitting the female market generally and the US market specifically.

It certainly worked - and it should be no surprise that the pre-existing fan base (which was predominantly male and British) was generally left feeling cold by the last 2.5 studio albums as obviously we were not on the radar by then.