VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: (Shocking) New Insights about the (never released) new Album
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 pm 

Hi dear Roxy-Friends,

i cannot quite believe what i read in this newly published Phil Manzanera-Interview:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... deo-deluxe

It seems that all the Band (including Eno) was about ready to go and finish off 15/16 all-new Roxy Songs in 2006(?) - but Bryan was not able to write Lyrics for the Instrumentals.

"We went into the studio with Brian Eno and with Chris Thomas, our original producer, and we sort of did about 15 or 16 tracks. At that point Bryan (Ferry) said he couldn't write lyrics anymore, so we just put our hands up in the air and just said, 'Ah! Ugh! I'm speechless. Ok...goodbye.'"

Your thoughts?
I think that this is not absolutely the end of Roxy and Bryans creativity (- just think about all the great stuff he released afterwards... Reason or Rhyme for instance).

Cheers! :)

Post subject: Re: (Shocking) New Insights about the (never released) new A
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 pm 

Hardly shocking - & definitely nothing new! It was reported years ago that Bryan was struggling to write new lyrics & that was the main reason for the Roxy album being put on hold. Nearly all of the lyrics on his recent solo albums have been around for years. I seem to recall as long ago as Manifesto that Bryan was saying he was struggling to write 6 songs a year and the creative well has been running dry ever since.

As for Eno, I'm sure he stated that he went in for an afternoon, (or not much more), added his magic and had no intention of doing any more.

That said, it would be nice if they could release an instrumental or two from the sessions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am 

What I find interesting is the way that both PM and AM have used the release of the SDE to call attention to the way that BF abandoned the Roxy recordings made in 2005/06.

Anyone who was paying close attention to Roxy in the mid-aughts knew that they had spent significant time in the studio laying down a multitude of tracks. Phil in particular was very clear about how much had been done. And then in the summer of '06 BF decided to devote his energies to Dylanesque (which was released in early '07) and then BF did his best to downplay/ignore the 05/06 sessions. Yes, Roxy reunited for modest-size tours in 2010/11, and they played some songs from the Roxy catalogue that were "new" but since then the Roxy flame has been very dim indeed...

Last edited by DCJ on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 am 

I wouldn't say they've called attention to the abandoned recordings DCJ - just about every review of the SDE laments the lack of new recordings since 1982 and live work since 2011 and many specifically ask will the band ever record again? Asked the question, the responses seem appropriate and proportionate. I've even been struck by how warmly PM and AM have spoken of BF in this round of press activity, given there seemed to be some 'frostiness' before.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:04 am 

"Shocking"? Don't think so, we've all been aware of Ferry's feelings towards Roxy for years.

Manzo's as keen as mustard, probably THE most keen of all.

The Emperor Himself, I believe, can take it or leave it (last time I mentioned Ferry to him he gave me a knowing look and chuckle!) And why should he put up with the indignity of playing live next to another (inferior) saxophonist?

Eno would only ever be a studio partner.

TGPT? Who knows.

Ferry's only interested in his own solo career these days, has been for years. Let's face it, a huge amount of Manifesto/Flesh + Blood/Avalon sounds like discarded Ferry solo stuff that he 'didn't think good enough' for himself. And the things like 'Can't Let Go' creeping into the Roxy live set, as if the band didn't have enough songs to fill a set!!!

No, sorry, the man so many of you still idolise is solely responsible for the demise of my favourite ever band, and I will never forgive him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
No, sorry, the man so many of you still idolise is solely responsible for the demise of my favourite ever band, and I will never forgive him.[/color]

I agree with that at 100pc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:23 pm 

UKRichard:
I agree that PM and AM had good things to say about BF in their interviews. But they also made a point of calling attention to why the Roxy recordings of '05/06 never saw the light of day... That's all I'm saying...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 pm 

So after however many days in the studio apparently going well, BF decides he can't write lyrics anymore, no wonder the others were p***ed off. As he's had a problem with lyrics for at least the last 20 years were the others aware that they were just for want of a better word, jamming? or was he leading them up the garden path?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:

No, sorry, the man so many of you still idolise is solely responsible for the demise of my favourite ever band, and I will never forgive him.[/color]

Mon dieu !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 am 

wrighta, I agree. I would like to think those 15/16 Roxy songs haven't been touched by Bryan. I've got to say that the Roxy DBS gave me that old feeling of a new Roxy album. Fanfxxxingtastic. As for FYP, Stranded and Country life Deluxe box sets, get a move on Mr Ferris before I retire and wont be able to afford them on my pension. or I Pop my clogs :roll: