VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: (Shocking) New Insights about the (never released) new A
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 am 

Didn’t I read that some of the band thought that the music was below standard?
Roxy Music broke new ground and collectively and individually have produced great music that, whilst of its time, ( the 1970’s mostly , my dears) still sounds vibrant and relevant today. I do not want to hear a No. 9. It won’t work.
Let the chips fall where they may.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm 

As far as I can recall, BF is the only member of the band that ever sought to denigrate or minimize the Roxy recordings of 2005/06.

I think AM and PM both want to finish the project and let the public decide whether they like it or not. And that's one of the reasons they both reference the 05/06 recordings in their recent interviews...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 am 

DCJ wrote:
As far as I can recall, BF is the only member of the band that ever sought to denigrate or minimize the Roxy recordings of 2005/06.

I think AM and PM both want to finish the project and let the public decide whether they like it or not. And that's one of the reasons they both reference the 05/06 recordings in their recent interviews...

Whatever was or was not laid down in 2005/06 might well have been interesting but it was not Roxy recordings.

Roxy came to the natural end of their spectacular musical journey from outre to mainstream with the release of Siren in 1975.

While some of the members of Roxy Music got together again to release 3 studio albums in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, they utilised the Roxy Music brand purely for commercial reasons and musically the product from that enterprise had zero connection with the Roxy Music that I grew up with and love to this day. Bland and (in the case of some of the tracks on Manifesto) banal are the 2 adjectives that most readily spring to mind for the output of that venture ( with the honourable exception of a few other tracks from Manifesto; including the fine title track).

Similarly anything recorded in 2005/06 is not and never will be Roxy (no matter who contributed to the recordings).

Last edited by Avondale on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 am 

Your definition of what constitutes the "real" Roxy Music essentially correlates with the music produced with TGPT on drums. Fair enough; there are more than a few Roxy devotees who share that perspective.

That said, the 2005/06 Roxy recordings included TGPT on drums. So perhaps the 05/06 recordings do have a legitimate claim to being Roxy Music given your criteria...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:12 am 

Nice try DCJ but, as I said in my last post, Roxy came to the end of their natural musical journey in 1975 and anything laid down in 2005/06 (while it might be interesting) is not Roxy, no matter who contributed to the recordings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 am 

Sorry, I can't be that cynical. Even though they may have (creatively) regretted some of the smooth-jazz-lite stuff post-Siren, they are a band that continued to evolve. Also, they wanted to make it somewhat big in the US. To me, Both Ends Burning led to Dance Away which eventually led to The Main Thing. It made the breadth of musical influences that much greater. Manifesto (the entire LP for example) had traces of punk, disco, jazz, soul and avant-garde prog(?) within its grooves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 am 

No need to apologise, Robertron.

I was not being cynical; just stating my truth. Your truth is every bit as valid as mine but for me what I said stands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:26 am 

Avondale:
In positing your belief that Siren represented the end of Roxy you also offered a caveat that there were tracks on Manifesto (like the title track) that also reflected authentic Roxy. And my point is that those very tracks represent the last to feature TGPT.

Hey, if you're disinterested in the 05/06 recordings that's your call. But the core lineup on those recordings constituted BF, AM, PM, TGPT, and Eno. What could be more Roxy than the 05/06 ensemble?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm 

Sartorial Superstars,

De temps en temps, W2 finds himself scratching his well coiffured head.

Surely, the story is simple.

A handsome young geordie called Bryan Ferry starts a band and invites some people to join.

Together they embark on a musical journey and make eight fabulous albums after which the aforementioned handsome young geordie disbands the group and goes on to have a hugely successful solo career. In 2001 he is persuaded to reform the band (sans feather boa lover) to tour in 2001.

The tour goes well in 2001, less well in 2003 and badly in 2011.

In between the successful solo career continues at a pace and finally, in 2011 our handsome older geordie hero says "no more" and returns full time to his own thing.

Other members have different stories and takes but it doesn't change anything because Roxy Music was Bryan Ferry's band. He formed it. He disbanded it. He reformed it and he redisbanded it.

Windswept lui-meme thinks that the chances of a re-re-reformation are about the same as Annabels Sunderland reopening and there is certainly nothing remotely shocking about the fact that they went into the studio and it didn't work. W2 thought we all knew that.

Now, about that solo tour .

Salutations W2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:26 pm 

Merci, W2!
To this I say Amen though I am not a believer!
Can't wait for the 2018 tour!
Bonne soirée à tous!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next