VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best tour?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 am 

I've been listening to recordings from all Roxy-tours lately.
I've done that many times earlier. My favourite tour has changed every time.
This summer I think IMHO that the best Roxy tour was the 1974 Country Life tour.
Amazing versions of If there is something and Out of the blue.

Anyone? 8-)

Post subject: Re: Best tour?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:51 pm 

By a Country Mile!

The whole band at the top of their game. Newcastle City Hall 1974 is THE best bootleg any Roxy fan can own.

Le Stomp Magnifique!

Last edited by Stabbs MacKenzie on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm 

I can only comment on Siren onwards, although from what I've heard of earlier outings it seems to me CL had set the bar high by then, thanks in no small part IMO to TGPT.
However, from '75 - '11, I'd have to opt for 2001. Maybe absence had made my heart a little too fond, but I think it was a musical tour de force. Roxy had sounded more raw and edgy in the past, but never quite so accomplished. As if they needed it, I believe it really cemented / consolidated their status as one of the best bands of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

The Country Life tour was my first time seeing Roxy live. I was 16 at the time and it was the Apollo Glasgow. It’s still my favourite. The album is one of the best too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm 

Unfortunately my live experiences started with Siren and thus missed the classic earlier tours. I feel the first 4 RM albums are by far the best, are there any sites readers on this site know of that one could buy high quality bootlegs of these early tours ? I realize that this is a grey area, but have already found numerous online sites that "trade"/ sell bootlegs. I just don't know what the quality would be and thus have not pursued.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 am 

Country Life tour was excellent even though when I saw them Bryan was in his gaucho gear.
Another great concert was Koko Camden in June 2005, it was the first of a mini European tour, band were tight and a few new songs appeared in the set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am 

blakey wrote:
Another great concert was Koko Camden in June 2005, it was the first of a mini European tour, band were tight and a few new songs appeared in the set.

Yes, a great gig; hot, sweaty, packed, virtually leaning on the stage! Otis Ferry and his cronies nearly getting a smacking for trying to muscle their way to the front past people who had been there over an hour? And the sight of The Emperor Himself coming back on stage to pack up his own equipment!!!

A top night out :D