VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best tour?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 am 

I've been listening to recordings from all Roxy-tours lately.
I've done that many times earlier. My favourite tour has changed every time.
This summer I think IMHO that the best Roxy tour was the 1974 Country Life tour.
Amazing versions of If there is something and Out of the blue.

Anyone? 8-)

Post subject: Re: Best tour?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:51 pm 

By a Country Mile!

The whole band at the top of their game. Newcastle City Hall 1974 is THE best bootleg any Roxy fan can own.

Le Stomp Magnifique!

Last edited by Stabbs MacKenzie on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm 

I can only comment on Siren onwards, although from what I've heard of earlier outings it seems to me CL had set the bar high by then, thanks in no small part IMO to TGPT.
However, from '75 - '11, I'd have to opt for 2001. Maybe absence had made my heart a little too fond, but I think it was a musical tour de force. Roxy had sounded more raw and edgy in the past, but never quite so accomplished. As if they needed it, I believe it really cemented / consolidated their status as one of the best bands of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

The Country Life tour was my first time seeing Roxy live. I was 16 at the time and it was the Apollo Glasgow. It’s still my favourite. The album is one of the best too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm 

Unfortunately my live experiences started with Siren and thus missed the classic earlier tours. I feel the first 4 RM albums are by far the best, are there any sites readers on this site know of that one could buy high quality bootlegs of these early tours ? I realize that this is a grey area, but have already found numerous online sites that "trade"/ sell bootlegs. I just don't know what the quality would be and thus have not pursued.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 am 

Country Life tour was excellent even though when I saw them Bryan was in his gaucho gear.
Another great concert was Koko Camden in June 2005, it was the first of a mini European tour, band were tight and a few new songs appeared in the set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am 

blakey wrote:
Another great concert was Koko Camden in June 2005, it was the first of a mini European tour, band were tight and a few new songs appeared in the set.

Yes, a great gig; hot, sweaty, packed, virtually leaning on the stage! Otis Ferry and his cronies nearly getting a smacking for trying to muscle their way to the front past people who had been there over an hour? And the sight of The Emperor Himself coming back on stage to pack up his own equipment!!!

A top night out :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:22 pm 

In retrospect, it's kind of a tie between Manifesto (1st time that I'd seen them live) and the reunion shows in 2001 and 2003. The level of excitement for the Manifesto show (judging by audience reaction, was unbelievable). Even though Radio City is a great venue, I really thought that the Roxy sound had been watered down so much for the High Road tour.
It seems that several bands had done this (an 80s trend?) in which they doubled the number of members for a bigger sound. I never listen to the Musique Roxy/High Road stuff. I still have a problem with that today, with the backing vocalists chiming in on every song.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 pm 

Hipsters,

The good doc has posed the most difficult of questions.

For Windswept he has two that he finds virtually impossible to choose between.

The first was Redcar Jazz Club in '72. This will always be special as is 'the first time' in any love affair. Back then there were only two choices on Sunday night either the Jazz Club or Kirk Levington country club.

Normally, W2 gravitated towards 'The Kirk' but at that point in history he was embroiled in a romance that was fizzling out and figured it would be easier to watch a band than have to talk. Hence on that fateful evening he chose the Jazz Club.

The Club itself was actually the ball room of the now defunct Coatham Hotel and was owned by the Jazz band leader Charles Amer.

A lot of famous bands played there. The Who, Pink Floyd, Cream.Free and Curved Air were amongst those W2 remembers seeing.

The venue held about 200 and that particular night it was about two-thirds full. Nobody had heard of Roxy and expectations were non existent. The crowd were regulars who would have been there anyway.

All of that made the show all the more spectacular and when they struck up it was truly like being transported to a different planet.
The music just made so much sense and there costumes totally added to the whole cinematic effect. Even Andy's codpiece looked good !

They were clearly rehearsed to death and W2 remembers immediately thinking this is the future and the past rolled into one. Ferry and Mackay were particularly spectacular. The crowd were completely intoxicated by the Roxy cocktail from the get go.

From what Windswept can remember, the set list pretty much comprised the first album but without Virginia Plain. In fact, W2 doesn't even think the album had been released at the time of the gig. It came out a couple of weeks later. Everybody was killing to get their hands on it.

After the fandango Windswept remembers walking along the beach with said lady. He remembers her commenting 'I think you are more interested in that band than me'. She wasn't wrong but a love affair of a different type set sail that evening.

The second contender was Madison Square Gardens, NYC twenty-nine years plus tard.

Mr & Mrs W had taken in every Roxy and Ferry tour in between but after eighteen years 'resting' we were not sure what to expect.

The Windswepts went with two American friends who although music fans were Roxy debutants.

We were all blown away. Any Roxologist worth their salt knows the show par coeur and doubtless has the Apollo DVD. It was a Roxy masterclass but on steroids. Magnificent band, magnificent staging , impeccable musical direction from the amazing Mr.Good and a shimmering new arrangement for 'A Song For Europe'.

It was even pre #methree so we even had those glamorous dancing ladies to add a little frisson.

What was not to like ? Perhaps the set list for 2012 FYP was slightly more to W2's liking but the Sydney gig certainly wasn't.

We left the Garden floating on air and The Windswepts have never been prouder to be British. Our American friends were completely knocked out and became life long Ferryistas.

In fact, W2 had the honour of introducing son ami American to our hero at the after party that followed the Paris Dylanesque show in 2007. The things Windswept does for his friends and at little extra charge.

Anyway back to le sujet du jour. Quel est le meilleur ? '72 or '01 ?
Malheureusement Windswept will have to pass.

They both mean too much to him - let's just thank the Roxy Gods for all the pleasure they brought.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am 

Quote:
Windswept2: The venue held about 200 and that particular night it was about two-thirds full. Nobody had heard of Roxy and expectations were non existent. The crowd were regulars who would have been there anyway.

All of that made the show all the more spectacular and when they struck up it was truly like being transported to a different planet.
The music just made so much sense and there costumes totally added to the whole cinematic effect. Even Andy's codpiece looked good !

They were clearly rehearsed to death and W2 remembers immediately thinking this is the future and the past rolled into one. Ferry and Mackay were particularly spectacular. The crowd were completely intoxicated by the Roxy cocktail from the get go.

I know that feeling. I have experienced it at least 3 times at concerts. Unfortunately not at Roxy/Ferry-gigs, since I have always known everything inside out. It's a feeling that's good for your soul.

Once was at a concert with this guy, and this is a snippet from that particular gig. Maybe some of you will get an idea of what it was like. Out of this world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNqhZyb9WCw