VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy As "Elevator Music"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:23 pm 

Like most of us I suppose, as I'm in shops I occasionally hear the odd Roxy song playing over the piped music. More Than This, Avalon and once in a while Love Is The Drug are, unsurprisingly, the most popular. I was in Trader Joe's on Sunday morning when I heard what I thought was a familiar little piano tinkling - and then Remake/Remodel began blasting out. And I do mean blasting out. Just seemed odd (but welcome) to hear it in that kind environment. (Although I did hear Needle In The Camel's Eye blaring out at the cosmetics counter in Macy's once.)

Post subject: Re: Roxy As "Elevator Music"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 am 

Can't remember where, but I did once hear 'Sultanesque' throbbing away at some volume, in a shoe shop I think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am 

During my student years, I had a Saturday/summer job in a department store for a spell where the usual bland background music was played from opening time until close of business each day. It drove me crazy to the point where, whenever I could, I would sneak into the music department, pick out something decent, slip it on and turn up the volume a few notches. It was never long before somebody in authority “rectified” the situation, but those 10 or 15 minutes ( never more than a side of an album) helped me through another boring day at the retail coalface. Since then, whenever I hear something interesting being played in a store, I assume that it is a similar little cry for relief from the crushingly mind-numbing.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I was listening to Blancmange’s Drive Me for the first time a few days ago and noticed that the lyrics include a clear genuflection to Roxy i.e. “Did you share a table at Quaglino’s place or Mabel’s”. Can anybody think of any other such lyrics based acknowledgement to Roxy? There is probably some glaring example out there that I am missing but I can’t think of any.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm 

Quote:

Can anybody think of any other such lyrics based acknowledgement to Roxy? There is probably some glaring example out there that I am missing but I can’t think of any.

Uber Roxy fans the Eurythmics slipped the following line into 'Love is a Stranger':-

'And love love love
Is a dangerous drug'.