VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: End of my dream
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:19 pm 

Read Andy's piece in the 'Roxymphony' booklet (scathing) and then the poetic paragraph at the end.

That's it then,

RIP ROXY MUSIC - Le Stompe Magnifique!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject: Re: End of my dream
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 pm 

I haven’t read it but I can imagine what he says.
Whilst I’m looking forward to hearing RAH ‘74 , I’m not going to see Ferry next year . Newmarket racecourse did not appeal to me. It feels like the crooner is doing his own tribute act.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:23 am 

So don’t keep us in suspense. What did it say?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:31 am 

Bill wrote:
So don’t keep us in suspense. What did it say?

As I don't wish to spoil anything for you or others when you undoubtedly buy Roxymphony, I won't be quoting verbatim. Let's just say the first piece, to my reading at least, is more bitter than sweet and the final piece is a very clever, Puxleyesque farewell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:49 am 

Believe me, it's better this way... Totally agree with avalon_eyes above here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:57 pm 

If we're still avoiding quotes, let's just say there's a fairly damning finality about Roxy's future (not that I've harboured any hope of further tours since the camaraderie - barren 2011 outing).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:47 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
If we're still avoiding quotes, let's just say there's a fairly damning finality about Roxy's future (not that I've harboured any hope of further tours since the camaraderie - barren 2011 outing).

Sadly, perfectly put.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:25 pm 

I haven't seen the Roxymphony booklet, but previously AM had expressed his desire that BF finish up the recordings that Roxy had started in 2005/06.

I think he felt that BF had not been fair to the rest of the band in letting the recording project languish in (seeming) perpetual purgatory...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 pm 

Hipsters,
W2 finds all of this trop triste.
Anyone following the plot would realise the bon ami evident in 2001 was on life support by the time they hit Australia in 2011.
Despite a great set list - probably the best ever - and a note perfect performance, the band chemistry was non-existent. Frankly Windswept felt sad for them.
Anything said or implied since then is just sour grapes. BF simply just doesn’t need it and hasn’t for some time. Furthermore, one can’t help but detect a little jealousy in all of this, which is sad because they achieved a lot together,
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:30 am 

I'm only surprised that anyone's surprised...

It was by no means certain that they'd play together at the Hall Of Fame ceremony this year, so when they confirmed that they would, those of us who hauled our ageing bones to Brooklyn did so in the belief/knowledge that we would be witnessing Roxy's final encore.

And a fine parting shot it was too, with the return of Eddie Jobson after 43 years as the cherry on the icing of the cake. Sadly ill health robbed us of TGPT, so nothing is ever absolutely perfect, but if it had been a year later we'd probably have been robbed of Andy's playing.

I don't think there was ever the remotest chance of the ninth Roxy album being completed and it would probably have taken a financial offer too obscenely huge to refuse before any more live work would even have been considered. Whatever tensions there may or may not have been in the past, the bottom line is BF didn't seem interested in reviving Roxy.

Andy & Phil always seemed more interested Roxy's earlier, more experimental stuff, some of which wouldn't have suited BF's voice in his 70s. Far better to remember things as they were; we'll hopefully get a deluxe FYP and maybe something similar for Viva! (all three gigs - Liverpool '73, Newcastle '74 & Wembley '75 - are believed to have been recorded in full and the London show was filmed too).

Hopefully Andy will recover sufficiently to revisit the Roxymphony idea with Phil (some gigs in cathedrals next year was an idea floated in the recent Cerys Matthews radio "interview"); if so, we might even get a Metaphors reunion and something more from Phil's Kind Of Blue band down the line. More than this (at most), there is nothing...