VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deluxe & Delightful
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 pm 
Site Owner

If For Your Pleasure & Stranded had to get a similar Deluxe Edition as the debut album, what would you like to see it contain?

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Deluxe & Delightful
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:20 pm 

The main reason I purchased the 2018 "Roxy Music" Super Deluxe Edition was to get Steven Wilson's 5.1 surround mix of the album, so the top priority for ANY Roxy Music deluxe editions would be the inclusion of a 5.1 surround mix, preferably mixed by Steven Wilson, but he's not the only person that is capable of doing great 5.1 mixes.

I also enjoyed the bonus CDs in the 2018 RM DE quite a lot, so similar bonus discs in future deluxe editions would be most welcome.
I similarly appreciated the fact that the DVD contained video footage that was shot around the time of the album's release, so I would definitely like comprehensive video footage on DVD in each of the deluxe editions too.

Finally, I was very lucky that I pre-ordered the RM DE right away on amazon so my final total for the box set was under $100. Anything over that amount would probably be priced too exorbitantly for my tastes, so I hope the band takes that into account for future box sets.

I do hope more deluxe editions will be released starting next year!
Thanks for taking the time to ask this very important question of us!

:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:56 pm 

Thanks for this question - very good news for the future 8-) !!

rtroxyfan has summed up most of the important aspects. I still don't understand why the Steven Wilson stereo mix wasn't included in the RM deluxe set (btw: When will the RSD LP finally be released - does anybody know?). So I hope for longer versions of the originals songs or even outtakes if there are some left. And a stereo remix by Steven Wilson if he was asked to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 pm 
Site Owner

pianoman wrote:
Thanks for this question - very good news for the future 8-) !!

Maybe it was a hypothetical question :D

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:53 am 

Wow. Well, in addition to a Steven Wilson stereo mix and a 5.1 mix? I'd like to see it contain a region free blu-ray with a 5.1 and an Atmos mix. I've not yet got the gear but have been stockpiling these kind of things in my modest way. Also, if extended Eno-y outtakes have survived (like the Ladytron RSD mix) please include them. And of course photo outtakes from the front and inside cover shoots.

For Stranded, stereo, 5.1 and Atmos mixes. Any Euro TV appearances, including flubbed starts like the Musikladen version of Psalm. Studio outtakes, and a version of Psalm with the choir louder/more prominent in the mix. And of course photo outtakes from the front and inside cover shoots.

Remixes and mash-ups are great, but I don't think that RM (or the purists would want that sort of thing included).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:04 am 

(btw: When will the RSD LP finally be released - does anybody know?)

We discussed this in the RSD thread on this forum, pianoman; the Steven Wilson mix will be released on vinyl next Saturday 29/8. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 am 

Well a max £50 price tag would be a start (here's an example of how it can be done https://www.thesdeshop.com/collections/tears-for-fears/products/tears-for-fears)
I'd want both to capture the euphoria around the releases so another great book exploring the recording / production process, design, photo outtakes, advertising, press releases, press coverage, TV appearances etc. There seems to be an absolute obsession that SDEs include sometimes absurd numbers of discs peddling essentially the same thing. I'd like a great remaster on CD and vinyl, a disc of demos/outtakes, a dvd or bluray of TV appearances / any decent live footage and that's about it. Celebrate the album concerned, not detract from it.
I know John you're probably just stimulating discussion but I have a horrible feeling that the fast approaching 50th anniversaries of these landmark albums will come and go in a way no other artists of this influence and calibre or their record companies would allow to happen. Love to be proved wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:41 am 

I have a pathological inability to stop myself from regularly contributing to our heroes' "pension funds", so bring on deluxe sets of everything! :lol:

Anything previously unreleased or seldom (if ever) seen or heard is always the cherry on the icing on this cake, so demos, out-takes, alternative versions etc. are always welcome. This applies equally to the album artwork.

The deluxe FYP is hopefully nearly ready and should (fingers crossed) include the remaining BBC sessions to complement those on the deluxe debut set. It would be great if the Golden Rose of Montreux film could be obtained/licensed for inclusion as a DVD.

I wouldn't quibble too much if the Musikladen videos appeared in a deluxe Stranded, although they're fairly readily available elsewhere. Assuming that there may not be plans for a deluxe Viva!* set, the Glasgow '73 recording could hopefully be spruced up and included in a Stranded boxed set.

(*Likewise the much bootlegged Newcastle '74 could be added to a deluxe Country Life in due course, while Wembley '75 was apparently filmed, so could appear on CD and/or DVD in a deluxe Siren.)

As a side issue, I still think BF could consider an archive series of releases, as Neil Young has, for example. Good quality live shows or unreleased studio stuff (why not bootleg the bootleggers by giving Horoscope and Alphaville an official release?) could perhaps be pressed as CDs and sold via the official website and on the merch stand at live shows, if BF's record label didn't want to release and promote them?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:50 pm 

Smudge wrote:
(btw: When will the RSD LP finally be released - does anybody know?)

We discussed this in the RSD thread on this forum, pianoman; the Steven Wilson mix will be released on vinyl next Saturday 29/8. :D

I knew that before, Smudge, but as you have always been a well informed member of this forum I hoped you could confirm the release date of the RSD LP :D - thank you!

Some years ago I could order the extended Ladytron single record at jpc online. Unfortunately we have no record shop in my home town so I hope to get it the same way ...

Smudge wrote:
As a side issue, I still think BF could consider an archive series of releases, as Neil Young has, for example. Good quality live shows or unreleased studio stuff (why not bootleg the bootleggers by giving Horoscope and Alphaville an official release?) could perhaps be pressed as CDs and sold via the official website and on the merch stand at live shows, if BF's record label didn't want to release and promote them?

Fantastic idea, Smudge. But I am afraid that Bryan's love of perfection won't let this happen :?

Last edited by pianoman on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:15 pm 

Most successful businesses operate by doing market research, ie establishing what their potential customers want, and then providing a product that meets customer requirements, including cost and timescales. Businesses that are not so successful generally fail because they provide a product that they think the customer wants, which may be light years away from what the customer actually wants, so they don't get orders/sales.

So the message has to be:

1 Please give fans what THEY want.

2 Make the products affordable as you are selling mainly to people past working age.

3 Don't leave it too long to get things done - none of us are getting any younger!