VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: To make the cognosenti think
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 am 
Site Owner

As there is no tour and no news of imminent releases I though I would think of a subject that hasn't been discussed before.

What Roxy/Solo song do you love except for one wee bit?

I love She Sells but I don't I don't like the mix of the section between verses/choruses with all that funky clavinet and find the sax too high in the mix.

Any one else got songs they really love except for one bit?

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: To make the cognosenti think
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 pm 

Cher J'O.B

You ask an interesting question.

This may not answer it but is W2's version of a response.

D'abord I would sight 'The Name Of The Game'. It's a great song but suffers terribly from over-production. I'd love to see it stripped right back a la 'The Only Face' (Jools Holland Version). In fact, I'd love to hear the whole Bete Noire album done again. It has some amazing songs on it but the Pat Leonard production has not aged at all well !

Deuxiemement, 'Manifesto' - basically I'd like Ferry to finish the song. It builds up in a fantastic way but then doesn't go anywhere. It's all foreplay and no action.

Salutations a tous et bon re-lock.

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 pm 
Site Owner

I agree with you Windswept on The Name Of The Game. I feel it's too 'Eurovision Song Contest' when the backstage curtain opens to reveal the big choir joining in at the chorus. I think there is a good song lurking around in the background with that one, a stripped down version might just reveal that.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:34 pm 

I can understand your opinion towards The Name Of The Game, Windswept + J.O'B. But IMHO its bombastic sound fits perfectly with the rest of Bȇte Noire. Try to see it as a document of pop music history 8-). Laissez les bons temps rouler - comme ils ont été, M. WS2 ;).

But what I always missed on Stranded + Country Life was the electric piano. After the dismissal of Brian Eno the band tried to change their sound a bit. Less synthesizer squeaking, more violin parts by Eddie and mostly acoustic piano (by Eddie - or Bryan?). I always felt that the e-piano is essential for Roxy's sound and was really angry when a German magazine called Roxy Music a "neo chanson band" :oops: :roll: :?:

Although I went to school at that time and had classical (acoustic) piano training I was satisfied when Siren brought back Rhodes and Wurlitzer :D .

@ J.O'B.: She Sells was a fabulous song which I used to play on the piano but I left out it's funky hard rock interludium ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:33 am 

Chers amis!

Aussi cett fois je suis d´accord avec le grand W2. Manifesto promises an exciting journey but after a minute or two, one becomes aware that the train hasn´t left the platform.
Bête Noir is one of my all time favourites, despite its somehow "American" sound. Hard to imagine it can be remade/remodelled, but how about a live recording with BF;s excellent band with help from Colin Good and contributions from Enrico Tomasso and others. Replace the dull synths of the 80s with real instruments.

Bonne journée à tous!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:40 am 

Oberon wrote:
Replace the dull synths of the 80s with real instruments.

Synths are a substantial part of the success albums Flesh + Blood and Avalon.

-So you want more jazz influence?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:27 am 
Site Owner

Oberon wrote:
Bête Noir is one of my all time favourites, despite its somehow "American" sound. Hard to imagine it can be remade/remodelled, but how about a live recording with BF;s excellent band with help from Colin Good and contributions from Enrico Tomasso and others. Replace the dull synths of the 80s with real instruments.

There is a live version on the Bryan Ferry Live 2015 CD

http://vivaroxymusic.com/albums_117.php

Also on the Your Painted Smile CD Single
http://vivaroxymusic.com/singles_616.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:37 am 

Mais oui, le freak, I do have a weak spot for jazz. Bitter Sweet is my most played BF/RM record since it was released.
And to John, I didn´t mean the song Bête Noir, but the whole album!
À votre santé!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 pm 

I’ve been racking my brains for songs I like other than tiny bits and found it tough but for me I can think of three:

1. In Sea Breezes just after the “tracks up then cracks down” bit I find the treated guitar a little too distorted and prefer the version played in the sessions (with I think David O’ List)

2. I love most of Bitter Sweet, in particular the quiet transitions with oboe, piano and cymbals but I’ve always found the bombastic “show’s in full swing” part a bit jerky and discordant.

3. For me the guitar outro in Take a Chance with me doesn’t seem to go anywhere. I like the song a lot but I think it could have been elevated to greatness with an OOTB type finish.

All in all very minor quibbles with a body of work of such consistency whilst being so varied.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:47 pm 

BF keeps singing waaayyyy too long on the Siren version of Both Ends Burning and he doesn't let PM lay down a searing solo. Big mistake IMHO.

Also, the song Flesh and Blood should have included some PM guitar and AM sax. BF's guitar is a bit too bland...

DCJ