VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: To make the cognosenti think
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:55 am 

Cher W2. You are so lucky to have seen Roxy in those early days. The bonus of living in the North East. Due to rapid ticket sales, being young etc I never go to see them until the Country Life tour. Still one of my favourite gigs to this day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:12 pm 

Lucky Windswept! Thank you for this post. You are really a man of the first hour.

Although I had classical piano lessons at that time I showed an early interest in pop and rock music (to the displeasure of my parents :D ). My first contact with Roxy Music was Virginia Plain when Austrian radio station OE3 presented some new singles from UK/US. I loved the song from the very first listening to it in contrast to the album. 13 years old I was mainly attracted by the cover 8-) . When I asked a shopkeeper to play it for me I was really disappointed. Maybe Re-Make/Re-Model was too 'chaotic' for my young ears :lol: .

But when I was allowed to watch the first Musikladen program (1973 on my grandmother's TV set - B/W of course 8-) ) I became a Roxy fan and Do The Strand is still my favourite rock song since those long gone days ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:09 pm 

The guitar intro to Pyjamarama was not Bryan. That was Phil. In the interview (Rogers link) Phil says this about Pyjamarama:
"It was that idea of having an open tuning, I think it was something silly and not particularly flash, maybe E, B, E, G#, E and E. Yes, very E! It was one of the first times I'd used notes ringing through, leaving the same notes here and there and changing a few other notes in the chord. It's a nice way of getting a big sound when you're not playing with anyone else, as well - you've got these sympathetic strings, really. And it's more enjoyable to play if you can't play great finger style, you have these strings resonating to keep the beat going!"

But Bryan obviously plays the guitar on the FYP-cover :lol: