VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Last ever?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:26 pm 

I’d love to hear colleagues’ thoughts on whether the Roxy concert on 7.02.11 and BF’s on 13.03.20 will be the last time I see those artistes perform in the UK. Assuming I’m willing to travel to whatever venue is offered.

Post subject: Re: Last ever?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 pm 

An interesting question, made even more interesting by the Corona virus situation. Things to consider are:

1 Bryan Ferry is now 75 years old. How much longer could he tour for in a non-Covid 19 world? The great BB King was 80 when he retired from playing live and he was seen as being exceptional.
2 As regards Roxy Phil, Andy and TGPT are all doing other things, or should I say were. Also Andy has problems with his hands so who knows when he would be fit to play live again?
3 Now onto Corona virus. Who knows when or even if large music venues will reopen. And if they do who how many of us will be able to pay inflated ticket prices, which may be even higher due to reduced venue capacities? Many of us have taken a big financial hit this year. Also remember that at present Phil, Andy, TGPT and Bryan are all considered to be in the vunerable age group, as are many of us.

For me the Roxy chapter is closed and was closed with the Hall of Fame performance. Sad (but I think) true.

Who knows what lies ahead?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:33 pm 

Well said, Roger. All Roxy musicians are +- 70 years old and all of them had successful musical careers. It would be more than understandable if a Roxy member should have the wish to retire.

Even in 2021 the Corona virus will prevent Bryan Ferry from touring - his age will force him to be very careful and the coming vaccinations will take time to achieve the intended results.

But why shouldn't Bryan or Phil re-work unreleased studio material and issue long forgotten material in self-publishing? The Bride Stripped Bare, As Time Goes By, Dylanesque or the mysterious 9th Roxy album could be rewarding targets!

BTW: Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen ✝︎, Manfred Mann or Italian Songwriter Paolo Conte are/were examples of active musicians at the age or +- 80 8-) .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 am 

Hi Peter,

Planning for the future is difficult for everyone at the moment and particularly for those in the music industry. I've been following the Guy Pratt videos on Youtube and he believes musicians will be the last people back to work when it comes to playing live. By the way his book is worth reading.

I agree with you. Like the rest of us, why not concentrate on what can be done now, such as the things that you suggest? Also isn't it about time there was an official release of the Siren tour and the last Roxy tour?

Finally I think that Youtube is a great way for artistes to reach out to their fans. Brian May did a lot of this during the first lockdown until his health conditions stopped him. Now I watch the weekly videos that are made by Toyah and her husband the mighty Robert Fripp. Who would have thought that the serious Mr Fripp would be making such amusing videos for his fans? Brian May playing Queen riffs in his living room with a small amplifier, Robert Fripp playing Smoke on the Water and making mistakes which he acknowledges by saying bollocks!

Now is a time for people to not take themselves too seriously and communicate. Just a hint!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:00 am 

Chers amis!

Ne sois pas si pessimiste, ca va aller!

With vaccine + warm spring weather we´ll get out of the pandemic - and BF will tour in the summer with his excellent band as planned!

Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:01 pm 

Let's hope so, by goodness, Oberon! Vaccinations are on their way and malgré le lockdown we can see a small light at the end of the tunnel. Stay safe in Greece or Sweden or wherever you are - "pianoman" Peter