VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The finest track on each album and the best track of all
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:45 am 

My choices:
Ladytron
Do the Strand
Just like you
The Thrill of it All
Sentimental Fool
Manifesto
Running Wild (brilliant work by Andy)
Take a Chance with Me

Favourite song - Do the Strand as it always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear it, as does Dreamhome, when IMHO the great Manzo announced himself as a guitar player with his very own distinctive style :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:43 am 

Ladytron
Beauty Queen
Serenade
Out of the Blue
Both Ends Burning
Manifesto
Same Old Scene
Avalon

Virginia Plain has to be the all time song. It’s instantly catchy and unusual sound immediately elevated Roxy from a cult band to pop stars while retaining their credibility. They jumped a few leagues to equal status with Bowie in just one song. Roxy would have done this anyway but this certainly speeded up their recognition.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Hipsters,

If we’ve done it before, I can’t remember so here we go.
Oh, and by the way, please remember that this is the definitive view so dissent is actively discouraged.

Best Track On Each Album :

2HB
Do The Strand
A Song For Europe
Prairie Rose
Both Ends Burning
Stronger Through The Years
Flesh+Blood
Take A Chance With Me

Best Overall Track:

Mother Of Pearl

Bonus Track (Inspired by Miniluv’):

Virginia Plain

In my not so humble opinion,

Salutations,
Windswept

Furloughed Ferryistas & Shielding Sirens,
Having tried all alternative submissions, unsurprisingly, W2 remains of the opinion that it is lui meme who has selected the jewels in the crown.
That said, he is so impressed by Miniluv’s words concerning the importance of ‘Virginia Plain’ that he has decided to re-publish his list with VP as a ‘Bonus Track’.
Windswept hopes VivaVoce doesn’t mind the liberty.
Salutations and avoid the new Covid strain. Evidently it’s worse than a Bay City Roller’s ‘B’ side.
Salutations a tous et bon re-lock.
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:43 am 

May have changed by next week but here goes anyway:

If There Is Something
For Your Pleasure
Song for Europe (v tough choice between 4 jewels)
Out of the Blue
Love is the Drug
Stronger Through the Years
Same Old Scene
Tara

So difficult to choose a fave amongst this lot but at a push I'd go for If There Is Something.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:20 am 

Roxy Music - If there is something
For Your Pleasure - Beauty Queen (tough one)
Stranded - MOP (Serenade and Song for Europe close seconds)
Country Life - Three and Nine (love the whimsical nature)
Siren - Sentimental Fool
Manifesto - Angel Eyes (original version)
Flesh and Blood - Running Wild (also a tough one)
Avalon - The Main Thing

Best overall - If There Is Something. The only track I never grow tired of or skip over and could quite happily listen to on repeat for an hour.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:31 pm 

I hope more members will be persuaded to post in this thread, but I thought it would be interesting to see how things look after the contributions (23) to date.

ROXY MUSIC
Six tracks have garnered votes, with If There Is Something (10) the clear favourite ahead of Re-Make/Re-Model (4), 2HB & Ladytron (3 each), Chance Meeting (2) and Sea Breezes (1).

FOR YOUR PLEASURE

Testament to the broad appeal of this masterpiece is the fact that only one track (Strictly Confidential) hasn't been nominated. The cognoscenti appear to be torn between Do The Strand & Beauty Queen (7 votes apiece), despite love also being expressed for In Every Dream Home A Heartache (3), The Bogus Man & For Your Pleasure (2 each), Grey Lagoons & Editions Of You (1 each).

STRANDED
As with FYP, only one song has failed to attract a vote (Psalm), with A Song For Europe (8.5) currently holding the edge over Mother Of Pearl (7). Other nominations to date are Just Like You (2.5), Serenade (2), Street Life, Sunset & Amazona (1 each).

COUNTRY LIFE
Not much to choose between the six nominees: Out Of The Blue (5), Three And Nine, Prairie Rose & A Really Good Time (4 each), The Thrill Of It All & Casanova (3 each).

SIREN
Only four nominees, with Sentimental Fool (12) garnering over half the votes, ahead of Both Ends Burning (6), Love Is The Drug (4) and Just Another High (1).

MANIFESTO
Six songs have received votes, with Manifesto (11) getting nearly half of them, ahead of Dance Away (4), Stronger Through The Years & Spin Me Round (3 each), Ain't That So & Angel Eyes (1 each).

FLESH AND BLOOD
Seven different nominees, with Same Old Scene & Running Wild (5 each) currently holding the edge over Oh Yeah, My Only Love & Flesh And Blood (3 each), No Strange Delight & Over You (2 each).

AVALON
One vote short here (only 22 cast), with the others spread over eight different songs. Take A Chance With Me (7) curries most favour, followed by More Than This, The Main Thing & True To Life (3 each), Avalon & To Turn You On (2 each), The Space Between & Tara (1 each).

ALL TIME FAVOURITE
18 votes spread over nine songs: If There Is Something (4), A Song For Europe, Do The Strand & Virginia Plain (3 each), Out Of The Blue, Same Old Scene, Mother Of Pearl, Bitter-Sweet & Casanova (1 each).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:23 am 

Smudge wrote:
I hope more members will be persuaded to post in this thread, but I thought it would be interesting to see how things look after the contributions (23) to date.

ROXY MUSIC
Six tracks have garnered votes, with If There Is Something (10) the clear favourite ahead of Re-Make/Re-Model (4), 2HB & Ladytron (3 each), Chance Meeting (2) and Sea Breezes (1).

FOR YOUR PLEASURE

Testament to the broad appeal of this masterpiece is the fact that only one track (Strictly Confidential) hasn't been nominated. The cognoscenti appear to be torn between Do The Strand & Beauty Queen (7 votes apiece), despite love also being expressed for In Every Dream Home A Heartache (3), The Bogus Man & For Your Pleasure (2 each), Grey Lagoons & Editions Of You (1 each).

STRANDED
As with FYP, only one song has failed to attract a vote (Psalm), with A Song For Europe (8.5) currently holding the edge over Mother Of Pearl (7). Other nominations to date are Just Like You (2.5), Serenade (2), Street Life, Sunset & Amazona (1 each).

COUNTRY LIFE
Not much to choose between the six nominees: Out Of The Blue (5), Three And Nine, Prairie Rose & A Really Good Time (4 each), The Thrill Of It All & Casanova (3 each).

SIREN
Only four nominees, with Sentimental Fool (12) garnering over half the votes, ahead of Both Ends Burning (6), Love Is The Drug (4) and Just Another High (1).

MANIFESTO
Six songs have received votes, with Manifesto (11) getting nearly half of them, ahead of Dance Away (4), Stronger Through The Years & Spin Me Round (3 each), Ain't That So & Angel Eyes (1 each).

FLESH AND BLOOD
Seven different nominees, with Same Old Scene & Running Wild (5 each) currently holding the edge over Oh Yeah, My Only Love & Flesh And Blood (3 each), No Strange Delight & Over You (2 each).

AVALON
One vote short here (only 22 cast), with the others spread over eight different songs. Take A Chance With Me (7) curries most favour, followed by More Than This, The Main Thing & True To Life (3 each), Avalon & To Turn You On (2 each), The Space Between & Tara (1 each).

ALL TIME FAVOURITE
18 votes spread over nine songs: If There Is Something (4), A Song For Europe, Do The Strand & Virginia Plain (3 each), Out Of The Blue, Same Old Scene, Mother Of Pearl, Bitter-Sweet & Casanova (1 each).

Hipsters,
A huge bravo to Smudge for his brilliant forensic analysis.
It is extremely interesting to see what the real fans - the ghosts who haunt this hallowed cyber hall - think.
Fascinating that nothing from Avalon made the ‘All Time Favourite ‘.
Perhaps the sum of its total is bigger than its individual parts ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:38 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Smudge wrote:

ROXY MUSIC

FOR YOUR PLEASURE

STRANDED

COUNTRY LIFE

SIREN

MANIFESTO

FLESH AND BLOOD

AVALON

ALL TIME FAVOURITE

Hipsters,
A huge bravo to Smudge for his brilliant forensic analysis.
It is extremely interesting to see what the real fans - the ghosts who haunt this hallowed cyber hall - think.
Fascinating that nothing from Avalon made the ‘All Time Favourite ‘.
Perhaps the sum of its total is bigger than its individual parts ?
Salutations,
W2

Well spotted W2.

And nothing from Siren made the all-time favourite list despite Sentimental Fool garnering a whopping 66% of that album's "best track" vote. I think Sentimental Fool definitely fed into the sci-fi lunar landscape of early Roxy fans and Ladytron, while Love is the Drug and Both ends burning flicked the floodlights of upcoming disco treats.

It's been fun to review these albums again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:51 pm 

I’m sure we’d all love to hear some more “votes”, but thus far it has been absolutely fascinating, and so cool that there are so many of us still so enthusiastic about this body of work after all these years. If anything, this little exercise (across both the RM and BF threads) has highlighted, for me anyway, the incredible breadth and variety of the work. I wish more people appreciated it!

And this with some big gaps in the later years of the career.......but perhaps this kept the quality up?

Special thanks (without toadying) to W2 for always chipping in to these debates and Smudge for going to the trouble of totting up the scores. I’d been meaning to do that for days, but (typically) didn’t quite get around to it.

All best.........

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:53 pm 

I did something similar a few years ago on Facebook.

725 votes were counted and the results came in as below. Sadly I’ve lost the original file so I’ve only got a top 30.

1. If There is Something 53
2. Mother of Pearl 48
3. A Song for Europe 37
4. In Every Dreamhome a Heartache 34
5. Beauty Queen 32
6. Out of the Blue 29
7. Ladytron 27
8. Both Ends Burning 25
9. Virginia Plain 24
10. Re-make/Re-model 23
11. Editions of You 22
12. Do the Strand 21
13. Street Life 19
14. Sentimental Fool 18
15. For Your Pleasure 17
16. All I Want is You 17
17. Same Old Scene 17
18. More Than This 16
19. Pyjamarama 13
20. Just Like You 13
21. Serenade 11
22. Psalm 11
23. Strictly Confidential 10
24. A Really Good Time 10
24. Prairie Rose 10
26 Just Another High 10
27. The Bogus Man 9
28. The Thrill of it All 9
29. 2HB 8
30. Grey Lagoons 8

The albums:

1. For Your Pleasure 9.2
2. Stranded 9.0
3. Roxy Music 6.4
4. Country Life 4.7
5. Siren 3.9
6. Avalon 2.3
7. Flesh+Blood 2.3
8. Manifesto 1.6

On this same scale the compilation and live albums:

1. Greatest Hits (1977) 12.35
2. Viva, the Roxy Music Live Album 11.1
3. Roxy Music Live (2001) 10.9
4. Showing Out 9.9
5. Best of Roxy Music (2001) 8.8
6. Heart Still Beating 5.7

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next