VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo Roxy - Non Ferry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:06 pm 

Cher Monsieur Oberon, to me it is completely acceptable not to be a "Roxymaniac" as you call it. I remember that you discovered the band whose "architect" had been Bryan Ferry (good expression, btw!) later than me (1972, 13 years old). So enjoy BFs later work - and let us earlier fans enjoy the Roxy Music canon 8-) Salutations à Naxos!

Dear John, you have compiled all the arguments for and against Olympia being the legendary 9th Roxy album in a sort of Ferry disguise. Thank you very much for that. I can only say that it warmed my heart to discover Mackay, Manzanera and Eno on this production. Not more and not less. I doubt that the Roxy sessions from 2005/6 will ever see the light of day :? .

And yes, Roger, 801 was a masterpiece of alternative rock music, where I first had the chance to listen to the ingenious skills (double bass drum etc.) of later Toto drumming star Simon Phillips 8-) .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:45 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Bonjour, mes amis!

‘Olympia’ is a terrific example.
Originally trailered as a ‘Roxy’ project.
Windswept.

I have seen and heard this so many times and is simply not true that Olympia was Roxy's 9th album hijacked by Bryan Ferry as a solo record......

I wrote this post in a previous thread a while back showing that Olympia is not and never was the Roxy album .......

The question is: What constitutes what would have been a 9th Roxy Music album song? For me it would be material that began for this album as a fresh idea and not something half written/sketched taken off Bryan, Phil or Andy's shelf dusted down and worked into a Roxy song. I would also say that covers are out even though RM did record 3 in their career.

From what I observed track by track above, the closest we can derive from the limited information we have is that 'BF Bass' and 'Reason Or Rhyme' may have began during the Roxy sessions.......

I would deduce from this that there may be some of Olympia (and also any potential new Manzanera solo material) that was worked on during the Roxy IX sessions but was eventually returned to where it was originally intended, solo work.

J.O'B.

Cher J.O'B.,
Mon Dieu - Windswept did not and would never accuse our hero of highjacking anything - least of all his own work !
The fact that 'Olympia' was "trailered" as a Roxy album is irrefutable. Bryan has said as much in interviews before going on to clarify that he decided not to progress early ideas with the band in favour of going on to make a solo project.
When you ask what constitutes a Roxy song - you give your ideas.
For W2, 'Olympia' could easily have passed for a Roxy album and either under that umbrella or as a solo work, he would have bought it and loved it as he still loves it today.
The album is superb regardless of how long the ideas and themes had been percolating . Great art sometimes takes time.
At the start of this thread, you posed the question and then presupposed some answers, the first being:
"Most people are Bryan Ferry fans and Roxy is part of Bryan's overall output ..... it is seen as one and the same thing."
You got it right with your first response. Bryan is indeed Roxy and Roxy is Bryan.The two are completely inseparable.
Of course there will always be those that feel that things can never be the same without Manzo wielding his Axe, Andy wetting his whistle and TGPT thumping the skins. Not to mention The Feather Boa working his background magic. But halcyon as those days once were they are now historical and hysterical. The show has moved on and Bryan has produced some of his best work since then.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:43 am 

In 2011 Ferry said:

He would be interested in recording something " more experimental"
under the Roxy banner.

That shows that Bryan could imagine working with the Roxy Band members again even after Olympia. The Roxy door was at least not finally locked.
But what did he mean by more eperimemtal?
Soundtracks?
Was there an exchange on this between Ferry, Mackay, Manzenara?
If so, what was the response?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:53 am 

John wrote:

I have seen and heard this so many times and is simply not true that Olympia was Roxy's 9th album hijacked by Bryan Ferry as a solo record.

I wrote this post in a previous thread a while back showing that Olympia is not and never was the Roxy album:

Olympia - A BF album

@John:

For me Avonmore has more sounds that remind me of Roxy than Olympia ... could it be that there are small sequences of the Roxy Studio Sessions on this album, or is my impression the wrong one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:15 am 

i Think:

There will definitely no new Roxy album, because Bryan is unfortunately no longer able to write lyrics for a song.

Incidentally, you can read about it in an interview with Phil, who was shocked that the Roxy sessions had no text after a long period of time.

The article:

" The group has been inactive since then, making it probable that 1982’s Avalon remains Roxy Music's final LP. “There was [an album] that we attempted to do about six or seven years ago,” Manzanera told Billboard in a new interview. “We went into the studio with Brian Eno and with Chris Thomas, our original producer, and we sort of did about 15 or 16 tracks. At that point, Bryan said he couldn’t write lyrics anymore, so we just put out hands up in the air and just said, ‘Ah! Ugh! I’m speechless. Okay … goodbye.’”

All that Bryan might be republishing now is some old projects and pre-made manuscripts that he could mix up again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm 

Dear Uwe, I think most of us would be delighted and excited about a 9th Roxy Music album - including myself 8-) . I often thought about what went wrong with that project. Bryan's in earlier times so brilliant pen that has obviously run dry might be one of the reasons.

I think the RRHOF concert was the last "happening" of a tremendously important band - happening because it included some of the RM members but not TGPT and not Eno. On the other hand we saw Andy AND Jorja (accompanied playing ??).

Think of how old our heroes are now (from 70 to mid-70), think of Bryan's voice, think of Covid-19 (no shows) and then tell us if it this album is likely to be released ... I am afraid that all persons concerned have buried these tracks without lyrics and voices.

I don't want any more live or jazz recordings from Bryan but albums with Roxy and Ferry rarities - not published yet. Or an album with really new or reprocessed songs from Bryan - if this is an option.

But most of all I want my heroes (and their admirers) to stay safe in these nightmare days :? !

- Peter -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:02 am 

I have often wondered if the frosty atmosphere on the 2011 tour was caused by the fact that the Roxy project was never to see the light of day, the timing of that tour was certainly strange and I have also wondered why Jorja Chalmers was brought in on second sax and if Andy was happy about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:10 am 

wrighta wrote:
the timing of that tour was certainly strange and I have also wondered why Jorja Chalmers was brought in on second sax and if Andy was happy about it.

History repeating itself I think, just like when Phil had to contend with Neil Hubbard being brought into Roxy. I mean no disrespect to NH by the way - I'm told by my friends that he is a reasonable individual. And then in later versions of Roxy there were always additional guitarists - even two at the IOW festival. I would argue that Sped was the only legitimate one back in 2001. I wonder what say Phil had in the matter, how the guitar parts were split etc etc. He also had to put up with not playing on F&B and TTUO.

I've always been a fan of the band Rush. Three really great musicians who are also very close friends and looked out for each other. Geddy and Alex really protected Neil "The Professor" Peart and his family up until his very sad and untimely passing. Perhaps you need that level of equality and friendship, together with a lack of politics and outsiders in a band for it to be so great for so long.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:46 am 

wrighta wrote:
I have often wondered if the frosty atmosphere on the 2011 tour was caused by the fact that the Roxy project was never to see the light of day, the timing of that tour was certainly strange and I have also wondered why Jorja Chalmers was brought in on second sax and if Andy was happy about it.

Renowned Roxologists,
“Wrighta” raises the most controversial sequences of events :
‘Olympia’ is released towards the end of 2010, yet ‘Roxy’ embark on their FYP tour in January 2011. A little puzzling n’est-ce-pas ?
What’s more, by the time Windswept sees them in Sydney in February, the atmosphere has become as cold as a witch’s tit.
Despite one of the best set lists ever and a note perfect performance,
our hero couldn’t disguise the fact that he’d rather be anywhere else than on that stage.
Three short months later he was.
He was on the road with ‘Olympia’ and when W2 took in the show at the beautiful Vienna State Opera House in July, he was as happy as a pig in the proverbial.
What’s more, there was only one song from ‘Olympia’ in the set but the band was almost exactly the same mais sans Manzanera, Andy and Paul (albeit TGPT did return for the US leg).
As to why this sequence of events occurred, one can only pontificate.
Was BF seeking to help the other members after the much anticipated 9th Roxy album failed to materialise?
Was it some sort of contractual obligation ?
At the end of the day, who knows?
But one thing was for sure. W2 left the Sydney show convinced he’d never see the remaining members of Roxy together on stage again and so it turned out.
What’s more the quick turnaround for ‘Olympia’ served as another, concrete illustration, not that one was needed, that Ferry is Roxy and Roxy is Ferry.
Oh, and by the way, ‘Olympia’ was the better gig in every regard.
Salutations a tous and as is the popular vernacular aujordhui, stay safe !
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:51 am 

I didn't dream it.

This is the third and really last time I am writing what I read for a brief moment on Phil's homepage late in the evening in autumn 2010:
40 years of Roxy Music - World Tour in 2011 and a new Roxy album.

This post disappeared very quickly. My joy about this too.

What was left was (most likely a contractually guaranteed) a mini tour in 2011 and an album that was never to be made available to the public.

It is hardly surprising that the chemistry between Ferry, Mackay, Manzanera / Thompson was no longer right at this point.

It is a shame that Phil has not been officially contacted so far to inquire about the background of the processes at that time.

By the way, there was another person back then who had read this entry on Phil's HP, but has not commented on it until today ...

Too bad.

- Uwe -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next