VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo Roxy - Non Ferry
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:05 pm 

If it`s a nostalgia thing in the service of the crowd, then there`s only one thing to do, connect with Phil and Andy. Machines can`t recreate their input.

Those two guys solo? Not many want it. However, when they perform together these days, people are awestruck, just as if they`ve been denied something all these years.

Ah, Icehouse... -I`ve never been curious enough. Same with Japan (Sylvain, sylvain?) or Simple Minds, well their New Gold Dream... It doesn`t count now. Those were days of future, but are now passed.

-This forum; a broad church indeed! Bah, enough said... (Btw; only a small percentage of those aboard are posting. Previous posters must have joined the peanut gallery, if still caring at all.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 pm 

6PM is a really superb album by Manzanera. It's on a par with Bryan's best solo work.

Le freak - shurrup!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:31 pm 

Unfortunately I think it's a massive disservice to the other members of Roxy to say that Ferry is Roxy, they have all played massive parts in the Roxy story and it's this airbrushing of the history of the band where these contributions are forgotten. Thompson was a mainstay of the band for quite a period, Jobson used to do a lot of scoring and Manzanera and Mackay and Eno on the first 2 albums contributed immensely to the sound/arrangements. Yes he has produced work which equals his Roxy output but it is a classic tale of a band leader striking out on his own, the other band members aren't pushing him and he's surrounded by people who let him have his own way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:08 pm 

When talking of Phil and Eno I forgot to mention the original 801 project. What a band, what a live album :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am 

Was Phil Manzanera the real head of the band Roxy Music?

01/31/2021
Our track of the day, “Amazona” by Roxy Music, is a composition by Phil Manzanera. The London-born son of a British and a Colombian woman was among the 20 people who auditioned for the art rock band Roxy Music in 1971, which still had the lead guitar unoccupied. And since Roxy Music was impressed with his skills and also liked him as a guy, they hired him. But only as a roadie, because the group's lead guitar favorite was David O’List. When he surprisingly left the band, Manzanera got his chance.

Roxy Music didn't expect their roadie to actually master the band's entire repertoire. Technically, Manzanera, who had started playing guitar at the age of six, was arguably the most accomplished member of Roxy Music. And he brought with him a different musical horizon than his colleagues. Because while these came from art college, Manzanera had traveled the world, especially Latin America, during his childhood and youth. There he got to know, appreciate and play not only rock but also merengue, cumbia and bolero. Phil Manzanera also played solo recordings with his bandmate Brian Eno and worked with John Cale, David Byrne and Nina Hagen, among others.

Phil Manzanera was born in London on January 31, 1951 and is now 70 years old. “Amazona” from his band is our track of the day today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:32 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_me0lpHELs8

Nice to see that Phil has been busy :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:04 am 

Bonjour, mes amis!

Bryan Ferry is the architect. One of his talents is to find suitable people who can help him to realize his projects.
The great pianoman is right that nostalgia plays a part in our willingness to spend euros for concerts, records, flights, hotels and so on. But at least in my ears Bryan Ferry is one of the very few of his generation that still produces exciting material. Bitter Sweet is a good exemple of that.
Anyway, it doesn´t make sense to me to lock horn with roxymaniacs.
Bonne journée à tous!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:34 am 

Despite owning all of the output by Eno, MacKay and most of Manzo's (not much of an axe man me!) there is only one that I'd take to a desert island...

RESOLVING CONTRADICTIONS

1. Because it spurred me to visit China
2. Because I use 'Rivers' as a warm up prior to playing, and
3. Because, in my opinion, 'Green and Gold' is even more beautiful than 'Tara'.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:22 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Bonjour, mes amis!

Bryan Ferry is the architect. One of his talents is to find suitable people who can help him to realize his projects.................
........Anyway, it doesn´t make sense to me to lock horn with roxymaniacs.
Bonne journée à tous!

Lockdown Lotharios & Furloughed Ferryistas,
Encore une fois, Oberon Le Magnifique has spoken wise words.
That said it’s important to speak truth to power. Even Roxy power.
Bryan is a masterful band leader and ‘Roxy Music’ was one of his many bands. An important one yes but ultimately, one of what turned out to be many.
As the founder, leader and song writer in ‘Roxy’, it is somewhat disingenuous to suggest that had he used his former band mates more in his solo career his work would somehow have been better.
He used the musicians that he wanted and to very great effect.
‘Olympia’ is a terrific example.
Originally trailered as a ‘Roxy’ project. The album not only featured Eno, Manzanera and Mackay but also included 34 other musicians.
In terms of content, apart from the ‘ready mades’, Ferry either wrote or co-wrote all of the songs and had it been released as a Roxy record, the feather boa wearers would have been congratulating themselves on how much better things are now that ‘Roxy’ is back together - sound wise they wouldn’t have known the difference.
As things turned out, BF decided to release it as a solo work.
But the fact that it could have gone either way and nobody would have been any the wiser, illustrates that ‘Roxy is Ferry’ and ‘Ferry is Roxy’.
This, of course, in no way detracts from the stellar contribution that the other members made to ‘Roxy Music’ or indeed in their solo contributions.
Bravo a tous.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:36 pm 
Site Owner

Windswept2 wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Bonjour, mes amis!

‘Olympia’ is a terrific example.
Originally trailered as a ‘Roxy’ project.
Windswept.

I have seen and heard this so many times and is simply not true that Olympia was Roxy's 9th album hijacked by Bryan Ferry as a solo record.

I wrote this post in a previous thread a while back showing that Olympia is not and never was the Roxy album:

Olympia - A BF album

I have often heard the Olympia album being accused of being the Roxy album that was hijacked to become a Ferry solo album, I wrote the following on a similar thread on another forum.:

I think you may find that very little of Olympia began as a potential Roxy song.

Roxy were in the studio around 2006-2007

1 You Can Dance (began in the mid 90s completed for Olympia)
2 Alphaville (began in the mid 90s completed for Olympia)
3 Heartache By Numbers (co-written with Scissor Sisters)
4 Me Oh My (No Roxy member plays on this)
5 Shameless (Co-write with Groove Armada)
6 Song To The Siren (Cover, began before the Roxy project)
7 No Face, No Name, No Number (Cover)
8 BF Bass (Manznaera co-write and also Eno on this track)
9 Reason Or Rhyme (Has Manzanera on guitar)
10 Tender Is The Night (Working title was 'Frantic' began pre 2002 and unfinished at the time of the 'Frantic' album
11 Whatever Gets You Through The Night (cover that began in mid 90's
12 One Night (leftover demo from Taxi that was then completed for Olympia)

The question is: What constitutes what would have been a 9th Roxy Music album song? For me it would be material that began for this album as a fresh idea and not something half written/sketched taken off Bryan, Phil or Andy's shelf dusted down and worked into a Roxy song. I would also say that covers are out even though RM did record 3 in their career.

From what I observed track by track above, the closest we can derive from the limited information we have is that 'BF Bass' and 'Reason Or Rhyme' may have began during the Roxy sessions. Having said this please note that Paul Thompson was on the Roxy sessions and is completely absent on this album so the Olympia is 'Roxy Music IX' argument is wearing thinner.

In my opinion, I think that if you were played Olympia for the first time with no sleeve notes or other information and were told one of the 8 original songs is a Ferry/Manzanera co-write I think BF Bass doesn't jump out as that very song.

To quote Andy Mackay from the Metaphors website in reference to some of the material being used on the Roxy album: <<"However I could not feel the commitment and passion that would get me through what would undoubtedly be be a long and difficult road to a finished album on tracks that I had not been involved with from the start>>"

I would deduce from this that there may be some of Olympia (and also any potential new Manzanera solo material) that was worked on during the Roxy IX sessions but was eventually returned to where it was originally intended, solo work.

J.O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next