VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo Roxy - Non Ferry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:25 am 

My guess is that Bryan told the band members back then that he hadn't written any lyrics to the music.
Either because he is no longer able to do this (which would of course be a shame, but excusable), or because he may have lost interest in a new album and was simply too lazy (that would be a shame for his band colleagues).

In any case, the answer is the key to discovering why the recordings from that time will never see the light of day.

Why journalists from the music industry did not research here in more detail remains a mystery to me today, or has the band Roxy Music become so insignificant that nobody really cares anymore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:59 am 

Uwe wrote:
I didn't dream it.

This is the third and really last time I am writing what I read for a brief moment on Phil's homepage late in the evening in autumn 2010:
40 years of Roxy Music - World Tour in 2011 and a new Roxy album.

This post disappeared very quickly. My joy about this too.

What was left was (most likely a contractually guaranteed) a mini tour in 2011 and an album that was never to be made available to the public.........

- Uwe -

Cher Uwe,

You certainly didn’t dream this. W2 remembers it well and I think you are almost certainly correct about some or all of your assumptions.

Windswept thinks the fact that four Roxy members played on ‘Olympia’ is an indication that it was linked in some way to an earlier project that morphed into a solo work and, given that only Manzanera had a co-write on one song, the band had no real claim over the project but BF was probably contractually tied to the FYP mini tour.

All said, isn’t this just the classic story of a man who formed a band, was the leading creative force, outgrew the project and wanted to do his own thing whilst former members (Eno excluded) constantly want to reform ?

One thing that makes this story a little different is the divergent taste of some fans regarding the music. Passionate lovers of the first four albums have a tendency to hold all of the members in equal esteem and, in some instances blame Ferry for spoiling what they perceive as their thing.

Windswept’s personal opinion is that teams are transient when it comes to creativity but a leader as strong as Ferry will always be able to ring the changes and move on.

It’s issues like these that would be great to read about in a biography.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:53 am 

Thank you dear W2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 pm 

I think it’s a big insult to the main Roxy members to say “Ferry is Roxy and Roxy is Ferry”. Sure he was clearly the main man and was the creative force behind the music. He formed a brilliant team around him and the diverse players created such a unique sound.
Some bands (Radiohead, U2 & Coldplay) share royalties to avoid internal conflict but it can still be clear who is the main force as exemplified by the Lennon McCartney tunes which were very rarely a true collaboration.
This could have sowed the seeds of dissatisfaction with the creative core of the band. I’ve always felt Graham Simpson could have co-written 2HB, ChanceMeeting & Sea Breezes his bass is all over these tunes. Likewise Eno could have a co-write on For Your Pleasure, the ending of the song is so reminiscent of the track he appeared on, prior to Roxy, with the Scratch Orchestra.
Add Andy’s classical background and Phil’s Latin influences pinned down by TGPT’s Bonham style drumming and the unique mix is complete.
You would be hard pushed to name a band that had such a diverse influence on the course of rock music. You could create a very diverse record collection if you added all the solo projects as well as production duties and guest appearances. Only Genesis could come close and then you could argue that their scope doesn’t reach such wide musical range.
In fact Eno could have the greatest influence on the music trends that followed and is probably the most respected. Although I would maintain that he gets too much credit for the early Roxy albums not to mention the Bowie Berlin trilogy.
In summary Roxy were the more experimental side of Bryan’s career where his solo path continued along a more commercial route.
Everyone has their own tastes and surely Roxy have created the broadest of broad churches with their collective output. On one extreme you have fans who are more interested in Bryan’s latest tie and jacket style while others extol the virtues of Eno’s latest ambient adventures.
All of it is interesting, whether it’s good depends on the listener but thankfully all are still with us and we collectively anticipate their next move. Well I certainly do anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 pm 

Monsieur Windswept, you summed up perfectly all the aspects of the Roxy situation from 2001 to 2011 - merci beaucoup! Although Roxy Music's "roxy" music is my musical bible I am afraid that the discussion what could have been and where could it all have gone with RM9 is more or less futile. Everything is said. Think of the early 2000s when Phil promised RM had signed a contract with 3 (!) new albums ...

And yes, Uwe, as far as I know you live in Germany as well and you know what's left from Roxy Music's songs in the meantime: Turn your radio on and you'll sometimes hear JG, MTT, AV, OY and if it's one of the better stations they play LITD. The German public is very attached to their heroes and when a Bryan Ferry tour is possible again they will come. Me, too, of course - already vaccinated. But, regarding popularity in Germany: Ferry is not Bowie and Roxy is not Genesis or Led Zeppelin ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:02 pm 

Very good posting, Miniluv. On the first two Roxy albums we only find Ferry as the composer although all other members have elaborated these songs for years. The basic idea - melody and chords - and the lyrics may have come from Bryan. But still it was a long way to work it out. These contributions may have been enough to be named as co-composers in any other band. But the musical world can sometimes be very unfair ...

You named Coldplay, U2, The Beatles etc. Even Genesis shared their royalties by naming Collins/Rutherford/Banks as composers. Even when you could easily hear which band member was the main "inventor". By the way, concerning myself it's a similar thing with this band: I've never been a fan of the Peter Gabriel era but own most of his solo records, most of Phil Collins solo works and even albums of the prog rocker and excellent guitarist Steve Hackett. And a lot of the later Genesis CDs and DVDs. You see that you can be interested in parts of a band's career. And as well be interested in the work of their members/former members. But you don't have to. Even Genesis is a broad church ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:26 pm 

Uwe- you didn’t dream it. I remember reading it too. I also remember PM saying on radio that they had signed a three album deal. The other nugget he dropped was that they had recorded about 18 track and about 12 of them were outstanding.

At a much later point PM very diplomatically said that the music wasn’t good enough or it would have inspired BF to write lyrics for them.

Re the 2011 tour and the presence of JC alongside AM: firstly she told me that he was really gracious about having her on board (the alarming implication being that he had no say in it), and secondly I don’t recall her ever actually doubling his parts - IIRC she played harmony parts or echo parts (2HB) that may have been hard/impossible to play on his own.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:23 am 

What a can of (imponderable) worms.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:03 am 

pianoman wrote:
Very good posting, Miniluv. On the first two Roxy albums we only find Ferry as the composer although all other members have elaborated these songs for years. The basic idea - melody and chords - and the lyrics may have come from Bryan. But still it was a long way to work it out. These contributions may have been enough to be named as co-composers in any other band. But the musical world can sometimes be very unfair ...

Hi Peter,
Very good posting by you as well :D I suspect that you are a better musician than me, but I think we can identify who may have written which songs from their melodies, harmonies, chord structures and time signatures etc. Phil has dropped a few hints over the years about the basic structures of some Roxy songs. Also I remember reading somewhere that it was decided that BF took the writing credits for consistency on the first two albums. Unfortunately a lot of my Roxy archive cuttings are buried after house moves etc and an 801 review that I was going to post here I have lost or unintentially thrown away :( :( :( I'm sure that I'm not the only one who can hear Eno singing backing vocals on the first two Roxy albums, but where are his credits?
I'm glad that Bryan, Phil, Andy, Eddie (and Chris Spedding) got to play together at the Hall of Fame event and OOTB was excellent. All things considered perhaps this might have been the last Roxy performance that we see?
I can also relate to Phil's comments about how long it took to get the first album package out. Time is running out for band members and fans!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:39 pm 

Hi Roger, no, you weren't the only one who heard Eno (and eventually Phil) singing some of the chorusses of the first two Roxy albums. If that was enough to be credited as member of the "background chorus" - I don't know ;) . And yes, Miniluv, the bass line in the outro of Chance Meeting is so brilliant that a Ferry/Simpson credit should have been appropriate ... - p -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next