VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 20 Years Ago Today
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:36 pm 
Site Owner

20 Years ago today, the first Roxy Music show in 18 years. I was proud to post the first review and first photo of the band in all that time.

That evening was the night I launched this website.

I was proud to be the first person in 18 years to post a review, a photo and the eagerly awaited set list. It was a logistical night mare driving all the way form the Scottish Highlands, sail over the Irish sea and drive to Dublin with a desk top computer in the boot of the car. Setting it up in a Dublin hotel with a 'dial up' internet connection and different phone socket connections were hurdles that were overcame just in time before leaving the hotel to go to the gig.

Many people from all over the world have told me since how they sat at the computer refreshing the home page until they saw the set list etc magically appear.

I am still pleased 20 years since that show that there is still such a great interest for our favourite band all around the world and I hope to be updating VivaRoxyMusic 20 years from now too.

That first article posted here can be found at the link below.

http://vivaroxymusic.com/articles_1.php

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: 20 Years Ago Today
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 pm 

It’s funny to think the obvious ... 20 is a higher number than 18. Yet it feels like yesterday. I saw this show in London, then Glasgow, and back in London right at the end.

We won’t see Roxy Music live again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:53 pm 

Ironically, even though we're accustomed to long waits for everything, it really doesn't seem that long ago at all does it? Maybe it's because the sheer magnificence of the tour is undimmed by the passage of time.
Perhaps the intervening 20 years is best illustrated by JO'B's rather heroic grappling with the technology of the day. Remarkable how much has changed since. Well done then and now John. This site is a resource valued by so many - I hope I'm still around to see how it looks in another 20 years!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm 
Site Owner

UKRichard wrote:
Perhaps the intervening 20 years is best illustrated by JO'B's rather heroic grappling with the technology of the day. Remarkable how much has changed since. another 20 years!

I remember discovering in the hotel room that the UK phone connection was different from the Irish one. It took a bit of searching the streets broad and narrow like Molly Malone herself, but managed to buy an adaptor in Dublin.

Once that problem was solved we then discovered that it just wouldn't connect via the phone line, it would cut off right away. A light bulb moment came while mucking around in the settings when we realised that we had to use a different number while in Ireland. So with that sorted....no problem....or so we thought.

We then after a lot of sweating or was it swearing....probably both, we realised that we had to click something in the settings to let the PC know it was in a hotel room and to dial 9 first.

With that hurdle out the way....click log in......

zzzzzzjjjjjjjjjnnnnnnnzzzzzzzmmmmmmmzzzztrtrtrtrtrtzzzzz

Remember that horrible dial up noise? It never sounded so good then as we had got further than any of our previous attempts that day then ........... 'ding' we are in ....then quickly off to the show and quickly back to the hotel after the show as I was determined to have the review on by midnight so that it was on line the same day.

As Richard points out, how technology has changed and now I can take something the size of a bar of chocolate out of my pocket and up date the site there and then as it happens. What will technology be like in 2041?

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 pm 

:o A brilliant story of such a hectic day & evening. Am well proud of ya! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 am 

Great story John and very funny with the passage of time and the benefit of hindsight. The bar of chocolate made me chuckle - funnier still when you factor in the order of magnitude more that the bar of chocolate can do compared to the 2001 PC.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:03 am 

Cher J.O’B,
Un tres grand histoire and what a fabulous reunion it was.
Windswept saw the show at NYC’s Madison Square Garden Theatre in 2001. The atmosphere was completely electric and W2 has never felt prouder to be British.
It truly was the Roxy fandango to end all fandangos.
Although our hero has scaled greater heights on his own account (ATGB & AEWBF), when it comes to the Roxy canon, this must be the definitive tour.
Amazing musicianship, great set list , stupendous tour book, beautiful staging and oh la la, the dancers !
What more could any self respecting Roxologist ask for ?
Oh well, peut-etre they could have done 2HB ?
Salutations a tous and here’s hoping we will see our hero treading those boards again soon.
W2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:30 am 

20 years ago today I was at the first of two nights at Birmingham NEC. Brilliant show and sound both nights.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:05 pm 

I managed to see Roxy Music on the 'Avalon' tour in Dublin back in 1982 and never imagined I would ever see them again. I brought my wife ( we were just married for only 1 month then ; when just engaged we had attended the sublime 'As Time Goes By' tour) to see the first night in Dublin on the reunion tour and was completely immersed in the show. To hear the sound of the early years recreated was magical and using 'For Your Pleasure' to finish was a masterstroke.
Great memories.Great times.