All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music Avalon Book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:32 pm 
Site Owner

A few errors in this...Bob Clearhouse??? not Clearmountain

https://soundcloud.com/bookmusik/book-m ... DmLGR8_KOE

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Avalon Book
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm 

Yeah some errors, but fairly informative and it's a pleasant entertaining chat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:13 pm 

Hipsters,
Comme Le grand Rendezvous, W2 trouve cette discussion tres interessante.
For Windswept, ‘Avalon’ will always be the masterpiece and will always represent the pinocle of Roxy’s career.
That said, he fully understand those who may struggle with its perfections and who prefer the more colourful tapestries and rough - hewn nature of their earlier works.
It is also true to say that although the songs are great, there’s no ‘Song For Europe’, ‘2HB’ or ‘Beauty Queen’ on the album.
Mais, a la fin de la journee, nobody can deny the sumptuous seductive sound, the harmonious nature of the songs and instrumentation. Or, the sheer technical brilliance of the production.
The end result just has so much texture it delivers an aural experience that is off the Richter scale.
Just writing this has increased Windswept’s oxytocin levels and he is going to have to run off and play it in its entirety- probably for the millionth time !
A bientot,
W2
PS: It was interesting that Monsieur Morrison claims ‘Dylanesque’ came about because of pressure from his record company !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:02 pm 

I've just started the book, but thankfully it's Clearmountain in the book. Probably a bit of podcast nerves, that's all.

Avalon the LP remains a great aural experience (and yes, quite different in the 5.1 surround mix). It flows for sure, but it is too restrained (compared to the first 5 1/2 albums--up to and including side one of Manifesto).

Back to the book, so far so good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:38 pm 

I won't buy the Avalon book but recently I listened to More Than This while driving in my car - what a really marvellous song this is: Though simple in its chord structure and its lyrics it is one of Roxy's absolute masterpieces. Bryan's voice seems to be yearning for something he can't ever get and the musical "net" for this is perfectly woven by the instrumental phrases (guitar, synth etc.). One of only a few songs I can always listen to. More than this - there is nothing ;) .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:31 pm 
Site Owner

I was sent a complimentary copy by the publisher and half way through it so far and quite enjoying it.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:21 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I was sent a complimentary copy by the publisher and half way through it so far and quite enjoying it.

J.O'B.

Thanks John. There's not much Roxy stuff I don't buy but I passed on this one after reading the pretentious synopsis and various basic factual inaccuracies. Your endorsement is causing me to rethink though. Is it solely focused on the music btw or is there more to it than just that e.g. the cover location shoot etc? Speaking of which, I actually visited the Avalon cover location shoot yesterday whilst holidaying in the Galway region of Ireland. Full story and hopefully pics to follow soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:46 am 

Most disappointed to be honest. Reads like a pseudo doctorate thesis that runs out of material so relies more and more on spurious cultural links.

Shame, was looking forward to it after such a long wait :(

Roll on Jocelyn's tome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:18 am 

I read the excerpt (from the intro) available at Amazon and found it waaay pretentious, with an author who suffers from no lack of self importance. Sigh.

Of course, the book on BF and Roxy that I want to read puts the business of the "music business" front and center in its analysis ("Make me a deal...) Maybe someday...