VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan, Phil Andy ... listen carefully
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
ABBA the holograms...
Phil Collins the pathetic wheelchair singer...
ZZTop the amputated rockband...
The Stones ditto...

It ain't easy to accept it is over. So Mr. Ferry, learn from this.

Cher Sentimental Fool,

Frankly there is no comparison.

With friend Ferry we have an artist beyond compare who will continue to delight for years to come and although I’m no fan, your comment about Mr Collins is disingenuous in the extreme.

W2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 pm 

Quote:
Take a chance on / with me

Angel Eyes
The Name of The Game

Quote:
Anybody comparing Abba to BF/RM should be flayed to within an inch of their lives with a silk knitted Chavet tie!

All that's being noted are some fairly generic similarities. No-one has done a song by song, album by album comparison and drawn conclusions. Merely that they were contemporaries, rubbed shoulders in the charts sometimes with similarly named songs and towards the end of the Roxy / Abba recording career wrote sophisticated, melancholic pop. On the last point, anyone who suggests differently - including the usually astute W2 - would be frankly absurd and nothing short of a musical snob.

A broad church is often quoted here - I think the jury may be out on that one! :roll: :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:39 am 

Uwe wrote:
"This is no longer Mr. Ferry Stockholm 1976 "Mother of Pearl""

Here's a link to my Youtube channel with the Tv broadcast of the Stockholm 1976 show ( thanks to swedish tv for doing this, although the sound could have been better).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G35X8XYAues&t=12s

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:34 pm 

Love'm or hate'm ABBA became masters of the recording studio in crafting lush Pop Classics. I'm not an ABBA fan but if I happen to hear Dancing Queen on the radio I will listen and appreciate the studio craftsmanship as well as the subtle genius of the drum track

Seemingly quite different, songs like More Than This or Avalon are comparable to ABBA in their lush studio perfection. And BF's Mamouna album also reflects aspects of ABBA's studio lushness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:41 am 

Mes Amis,
Roxology is a broad church but it is a religion and the core doctrine of that religion is a complete devotion to jazz infused art rock, delivered in the most stylish and sophisticated way.
The Swedish sugar pop maestros embody non of these values and comparing them to Roxy is tantamount to comparing a fish and a dog.
Comparing them to ‘The Bay City Rollers’ would be extremely relevant and they’d fare well.
But, there again, ‘The Rollers’ never won that most prestigious of musical events - ‘The Euovisions’.
What’s more, unlike DCJ, if ‘Dancing Queen’ inadvertently came on W2’s car radio he wouldn’t admire its lush production. He’d leave the vehicle immediately- even if it was still in motion.
Windswept fears the ever tasteful Oberon could be correct on this issue and we have lost our minds during lockdown.
What next ?
A full blown comparison between Peter Andre and Bryan peut etre ?
Quel Bordel !
Salutations to those who have kept their tasteometers in tact and for the rest of you, there is help out there.
Salutations,
Windswepts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:40 pm 

If Dancing Queen or for that matter any ABBA song came on the car radio, I would have to get out because I would be driving the wrong vehicle! (In which case I have bigger issues than ABBA!) But seriously are we still talking about this?! Yes call me a music snob, Love RM/BF , hate ABBA...and proud of it !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:03 pm 

Quote:
nothing short of a musical snob.

Quote:
Love RM/BF , hate ABBA...and proud of it !

I stand corrected. I should, of course, have said 'insufferable snob'! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 am 

Mes amis!
Mon Dieu, quel bordel!

Since i joined this forum I have been puzzled by the negativism and cynicism some members are showing with some almost admirable energy.
But now we must blame the pandemic. I suffer from fever hallucinations even though I am fully vaccinated.
"He’d leave the vehicle immediately- even if it was still in motion.", as le grand W2 puts it. Yes, let's get out of this horrible vehicle as quickly as possible. I don 't want to die to the music of Abba, Bay City Rollers, Queen, you name it. Call a taxi! Let's go to the harbour and Ferry on!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:12 am 
Site Owner

Oberon wrote:
Since i joined this forum I have been puzzled by the negativism and cynicism some members are showing with some almost admirable energy.!

I have noticed the negativity and cynicism on this and many other forums on Roxy as well as other artists.

I have also seen the complete opposite too where there is a complete fawning to everything that is produced or performed by an artist too.

I have seen here assumptions made about who makes the big decisions etc in Roxy when I know that in some cases that simply isn't true. I have seen assumptions that only one Roxy member is holding back doing Roxy recordings/shows etc.....that simply isn't always true.
I have seen criticism of Ferry for performing Roxy songs during a solo show but yet both Andy & Phil have done this for years too.

I have seen on the fawning side that every note recorded and every note performed live is perfect and that simply cannot be the case for any artist with such a large canon of work.

Sometimes I see some things judged for what they are not rather than what they are. "not as good as (insert seminal album)", or "doesn't have the original drummer" , "the re-recorded version is not as good as the original" .."oh there are covers on the album" These are standard generic things for certain die-hards of many bands to say as if to show they are not afraid to criticise, like a preconceived negative bias before they even hear a note of a new record.

It goes the other way too when you just know that not a word of criticism will come from some fans too as there will be a pre-determined positive bias that will always be there.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm 

It’s funny because I always think, yes Bryan’s voice isn’t as strong as it was and yes some of his recent output isn’t as good as his previous stuff.

But you know what - at 38 years old I’m just glad that my musical idol has been a part of my life for the past 22 years where I have got to meet him, see him perform live numerous times across numerous countries and also see the reunion of Roxy when I hadn’t even been born when they embarked on their Avalon tour! Witnessing them live on their various tours since the reunion was something I never thought I’d see when I first got into RM/BF in my early teenage years.

Any new material that he releases has always been exciting for me. Although I’ve never had the excitement on waiting on a new Roxy release or early solo releases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next