VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bryan, Phil Andy ... listen carefully
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:31 pm 

pianoman wrote:

Bryan left a strong impression on me as a song-writer when he published 'In Your Mind' because there were some really good pop-rock songs, composed with verse, chorus, bridge, solo etc. (All Night Operator, One Kiss, Party Doll etc.).

Hi Peter,

Good that you mention "In Your Mind". Yes there are some good songs there, but for me that album is all about the contribution of Chris Spedding, who manages to "play for the song", but also stamp his authority and sound everywhere. It was a golden period for him (listen to Hurt). I often wonder how good IYM would sound if another guitarist had been used. IMHO it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

As regards a 50th anniversary I would be quite happy with a short set at one of the festivals next year. It could be done. However, there are so many reasons why a full tour won't happen.

A new album? With the exception of Avalon (other than the tracks written by Phil), I would rather remember Roxy on the merit of their existing albums. The dynamic has changed over the years and I just don't think it would work now. For instance, would Phil, who is so highly rated by the mighty David Gilmour and has produced Pink Floyd, be willing to dance to the tune of BF? Same with Eno and Andy. Better that said individuals release their own high quality material rather than compromise (a recipe for blandness) on a new Roxy album. Just my thoughts.

By the way I don't get the Abba comparisons in this thread :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Since i joined this forum I have been puzzled by the negativism and cynicism some members are showing with some almost admirable energy.!

I have noticed the negativity and cynicism on this and many other forums on Roxy as well as other artists.

I have also seen the complete opposite too where like a preconceived negative bias before they even hear a note of a new record.

It goes the other way too when you just know that not a word of criticism will come from some fans too as there will be a pre-determined positive bias that will always be there.

J.O'B.

Hipsters,
Interesting comments and W2 loved Oberon describing the ‘admirable energy’ that goes into this negativity.
Unfortunately hasn’t it been forever thus.
I remember back in ‘74 when Bryan’s first solo tour was announced, he was instantly branded as a traitor by the Neanderthals before setting foot on stage
What’s more after delivering an innovative, shimmering, bravado performance at the RAH, the Neanderthals couldn’t stand his success and that all important echo chamber, the men’s loo, echoed with comments like; ‘Why isn’t Andy there ?’, ‘Who does he think he is with a bloody orchestra?’, ‘What’s he playing that crap for ‘ etc..etc..
The problem now is that the men’s loo has been superseded by the internet which has given every n’er-do-well who can press a button a voice and yes, they do it with “admirable enthusiasm “.
Salutations a tous,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 pm 

W2,

I agree with you - I could never understand the negativity towards BF for making his first solo albums and performing live. To me it seemed a natural thing to do, as it did when Phil, Andy and Eno (although he had already left Roxy) did the same thing. The people we are talking about are hugely talented and it was only natural that they would want to work outside of the constraints of Roxy Music. In any case from my point of view I think there was a certain "Roxyness" about all of those early solo albums which I enjoyed. John Wetton once said that working in a band was like being married to several people at the same time! There always have to be compromises inside a band setting so solo work is a release. For instance look at Eddie Jobson. Gifted to the extreme, so all of the keyboard pieces he played in Roxy would have been so easy for him.

I guess the big difference now is that instead of BF going solo in parallel to Roxy it's BF vs Roxy.

As I've said before I'd love to see a slimline Roxy appear at a festival next year just doing a short set. As regards an album I think we all would want different things. I hope that it doesn't happen, but that the excellent solo output of all concerned continues :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:00 am 

Roger wrote:
W2,

The people we are talking about are hugely talented and it was only natural that they would want to work outside of the constraints of Roxy Music...... John Wetton once said that working in a band was like being married to several people at the same time! ......

I guess the big difference now is that instead of BF going solo in parallel to Roxy it's BF vs Roxy.

...As regards an album I think we all would want different things. I hope that it doesn't happen, but that the excellent solo output of all concerned continues :D

Cher Roger,
You make some great points.
Everybody’s perspective is slightly different. Probably because they arrived at the party at different times and certainly I don’t at all understand or like this BF v Roxy thing.
My musical journey began in about ‘64 and from the beginning, my tastes were quite eclectic albeit heavily influenced by early Stones and The Animals.
Several aspects of my life have run in parallel with Ferry’s. We were both from the same neck of the woods, both from working class backgrounds, both went to the GoGo, both saw the Stax Volt tour and both went on to have international experiences.
And I think, in a strange way, those experiences have resulted in us liking the same type of music. Consequently when Ferry comes up with something like ‘The Jazz Age’ it doesn’t shock me. It all seems so natural that he is innovating and I just slip into the groove.
I suppose the reality is, it’s not Roxy’s career I’ve been following, it’s Ferry’s. I first saw him with the Gas Board and although I saw every Roxy tour, I’ve seen him many more times solo than I did with Roxy.
Consequently, for me, ‘Roxy’ was just another BF project. An important one but a project nonetheless. It brought some fabulous music but haven’t all of his projects ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:35 pm 

W2……..are you Ferry in disguise?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Consequently, for me, ‘Roxy’ was just another BF project. An important one but a project nonetheless. It brought some fabulous music but haven’t all of his projects ?
Salutations,
W2

I totally disagree. BF borned with Roxy, his reputation came with Roxy and not the opposite.
And then, for you, Eno, Manzanera and McKay were just nothing else but Ferry's project musicians ? :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 am 

Roger wrote:

" I hope that it doesn't happen, but that the excellent solo output of all concerned continues "

I can live with it if Bryan release another solo album ... but then no more Jazz or Dylan album, or a new produced Bete Noire album.

Wouldn't be appropriate to publish such material in the 50th year of Roxy's existence.

In relation to what AABA has now produced together, that would simply be a bitter disappointment.

Then better nothing new.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:00 pm 

VivaVoce wrote:
W2……..are you Ferry in disguise?

Hilarious! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:45 pm 

jeanjean wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:

And then, for you, Eno, Manzanera and McKay were just nothing else but Ferry's project musicians ? :D

Cher,
Jeanjean, for me no but for you perhaps ?
Use your own words - don’t imagine or distort mine.
W2