VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan, Phil Andy ... listen carefully
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:21 am 

In November ABBA will release an album with 10 new songs - after fourty years...

One of them is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzEY1M ... MfXrQ&t=42

Great Stuff !!!

@Roxy: you had the better disposition but didn't use your time.

It's embarrassing.

Post subject: Re: Bryan, Phil Andy ... listen carefully
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:33 am 

Abba are so different to Roxy but I often think of them in similar ways. Their duration as recording artists was similar, there were a number of songs with identical/near identical titles (including BF solo), Roxy's appearance on Abba's '79 BBC TV special.....

As Roxy's songwriting matured and mellowed I'd argue there were parallels in the craftsmanship of the songs as well. Yes, Abba were far more 'pop' but many of their songs were peerless and have gone on to be utterly timeless so to make favourable comparisons with Roxy's later, mature, rather lovelorn output is no bad thing in my view.

The new music sounds good and shows how artists can overcome their professional and personal differences to make a valuable addition to their legacy. I guess that's where all the comparisons come to a juddering halt. Unless...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:34 pm 

Mes amis, comment allez-vous?
To compare Abba to BF/RM is to place a soft drink next to a bottle of the finest Bordeaux wine. Mon Dieu, what happened to you, is the pandemic to blame or what?
I grew up in Sweden during the 70s. That is to say, during the peak of abbamania. I can tell you this, in Sweden, at least, only the young girls listened and danced to Abba. Me and my friends played vinyls of Nazareth, Black Sabbath etc. Fortuntely that was a short period of my youth. Soon I became a fan of BF and he is the only one I still follow when it comes to popular music.
I hope BF is well and that he will be able to tour next year!
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:46 am 

Quote:
I can tell you this, in Sweden, at least, only the young girls listened and danced to Abba.

I'd say assessing the merits of a group goes beyond who danced to their music during one part of their career ("the 70s"), over 40 years ago. That's a bit like comparing a Daiylea cheese triangle to the finest, mature cheddar wouldn't you say? Obviously, I should use a French cheese as a comparison but I'm not overly fond of it and anyway it's stuck in France awaiting paperwork and a lorry driver. Apologies to those who don't
live in 'Global Britain' who might not get the irony.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:26 am 

Benny and Bjorn wrote the classic ABBA songs in the traditional method of grafting away on piano and guitar until inspiration struck. I can't see them ever adopting the layered approach that BF has used since the latter days of Roxy, with countless musicians adding parts in the studio until a song or a "groove" appears. It would no doubt drive them mad as it takes in some cases years before something appears that is deemed worthy of release.

I've often wondered what the results might be if Bryan was to sit at a keyboard and write a bunch of songs from scratch in the time-old method - sadly years might pass before he ever wrote anything on the piece of paper in front of him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:58 am 

I must confess that I have always been a fan of ABBA (and I never was a little girl, Oberon :lol: ). I own every record of this group and admire their way of composing and arranging which always had a lot more to do with musical than pop. That they are back after 40 years is great and I will buy the new album 'Voyage' on the first day it's out.

Of course you can't compare ABBA with Roxy but there must have been some respect between Ferry and ABBA because he only sold two songs in his life: One to Roger Daltrey and one to Anni-Frid 'Frida' Lyngstad. Bryan left a strong impression on me as a song-writer when he published 'In Your Mind' because there were some really good pop-rock songs, composed with verse, chorus, bridge, solo etc. (All Night Operator, One Kiss, Party Doll etc.).

The topic of this thread (and of my thread under general discussion) was different: All ABBA members are still alive and so are the most important Roxy musicians. If there is only a small accordance to do something new at the last moment - then please Bryan & Co, do it, do it now and do it fast ;) !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:44 pm 

Rather than the ABBAtars in a hi-tech venue, perhaps an ancient theatre and life size string puppets. Great for Bryan’s dancing and for Andy when he has to yank up the sax and duck walk across the stage.
Bryan could literally twizzle in Spin Me Round and go mad in Editions when the crazy music drives him insane.

And a big reveal at the end…….a platform is lowered from above the stage showing you know who pulling all the strings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:23 am 

Personally, I prefer having 8 classic Roxy albums rather than having one more released that would only devalue the other work if it is not up to the same standard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:33 am 

Quote:
Personally, I prefer having 8 classic Roxy albums rather than having one more released that would only devalue the other work if it is not up to the same standard.

Whether it's Roxy, Abba or anyone else currently dormant but with a rich back catalogue, these people have nothing whatsoever to prove. It's a huge risk to put something out that would detract from their existing work. The guys from Abba said last week that if it hadn't been up to scratch they'd have left it in the can and there's no reason whatsoever to doubt the sincerity of that. As it is, from what's been heard so far, they're likely to be vindicated in their decision to proceed.

Who knows, amid the smoke and mirrors, claims and counter-claims of the ninth Roxy album, maybe it was ditched for precisely such reasons. These guys know what they're doing. I can't imagine anything ever being released under the Roxy name that wasn't truĺy worthy of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:12 pm 

It would be better to hear a ninth album that confirms the outstanding work of the previous albums. But I completely forgot, Bryan can't write any more lyrics ...