VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lover
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:16 am 

‘Lover’ is a track I have not heard enough in my life.
First appearing on the flip side of ‘Same Old Scene’ in 1980 , I have it on the Complete Studio Recordings and the 1989 12” of ‘The Price of Love’.
Written by Ferry / Manzanera it could seamlessly fit on either Manifesto or Avalon, oddly not on Flesh + Blood.

Listening to ‘ Love Letters’ has sent me right back though the canon to re-discover old gems.
‘He’ll have to go’ is another one.

Post subject: Re: Lover
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:27 pm 

Agree, 'Lover' is a brilliant song. Understated music, superb vocal. Given its 'billing' on the front of the single cover (and advertising), I don't know why they didn't go the whole hog and make it a double 'A' side - might have given this third single from the album a higher profile. Another largely hidden-away gem.

I think 'He'll Have To Go' is standing the test of time remarkably well insofar as I for one appreciate it more now than I did at the time. Given the Ultimate Collection is the biggest selling BF/RM album in the UK, I suppose you have to conclude they got the marketing and single releases right, but I wonder whether HHTG might have been a bigger hit than even LST88, had it have been released first. Idle speculation...clearly we'll never know!

Post subject: Re: Lover
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:25 pm 

Lover is in my top 5 Roxy tracks and I have always thought it's interesting that the vinyl single cover said "Same Old Scene and Lover" , so I think Bryan viewed it as a double A side. It was a damn site better than Flesh and blood or Eight Miles High.

Wasn't "He'll have to go" pulled as a single about a week after release? Got to say I think it's dreary.