VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music 50th Anniversary Tour Announced
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:54 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Why , I wonder, is this tour so heavily focused on North America, with just 3 gigs in the UK? None in Europe, a Roxy heartland.
America never really took to RM, nor to Sir Bryan, so it seems like a stretch to fill all those auditoriums.
Puzzzled.

Thought it was strange as well. I wonder if logistics has meant it’s not been possible to do an extended tour of the UK and Europe.

I was reading a tour manager saying how hard it was at the moment to setup a tour due to the backlog of postponed concerts with the pandemic. Some venues might be free but not in a logistical sense that can see you going from one place to the next within a couple of days.

This might have been the best option to mark their anniversary this year rather than holding off until next year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:46 pm 

In regard to the fact that the Roxy Tour as now announced only has three gigs in the UK and none in Western Europe, I went and looked up how many Killers gigs are scheduled for this summer.

Turns out that between late May and mid-July they have 27 gigs scheduled - 11 in the UK, 2 in Ireland, and 14 across West Europe from Spain to Sweden and east to the Czech Republic and Hungary.

So apparently t is possible to schedule a major tour in UK/Europe this year if you want to.

Hard to fathom exactly why Roxy is doing an Arena Tour in the States and nothing in West Europe. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless there are plans for further announcements to be made...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 pm 

You cant just use one band as an example - the Killers tour was announced last year for the release of their new album. Would have been pencilled in some time ago.

Who knows when the band members even decided to do a tour? I don’t think any of us were expecting any live dates more we were just holding out in hope.

Perhaps they might announce further dates in the future in the form of a euro leg of the tour.
Would have made more sense announcing together but maybe it wasn’t possible for one reason or other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 pm 

I don't believe that Brexit or any other factors mentioned have influenced the lack of UK or European dates.

IMHO it may be due to BF wanting a Roxy farewell in the USA, a market which was never cracked as BF or Roxy, or perhaps more to the point it's about who is bank rolling this tour. As it's only a little while since Roxy got inducted into the R&RHOF let's hope it works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:08 am 

That they would choose America - which never really appreciated Roxy …over Europeans who have always understood and celebrated their creative output … still seems like a misstep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:34 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Roxy Music 2022 tour:

http://vivaroxymusic.com/tours_49.php

J.O'B.

Hi John

Do you know when you will be able to confirm the band members supporting AM, PM, TGPT and BF?

Thanks

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:26 am 
Site Owner

Richard wrote:
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Roxy Music 2022 tour:

J.O'B.

Hi John

Do you know when you will be able to confirm the band members supporting AM, PM, TGPT and BF?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, I am not sure when that will be 100% confirmed and only then will that information be announced.

Regards
J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:45 am 

First of all: Roxy Music is back as a performing band and that is, of course, fantastic news 8-)! It is something we could hardly expect after two years of Covid and the age and health problems of the Roxy members.

Yesterday I telephoned to one of my school mates, a Roxy fan since our school days in the 70s. The question we discussed was if we should fly to London/Manchester/Glasgow since there are no dates planned for Europe (why :cry: ?).

It was a hard decision but we won't go. A short trip would cost more than 1.000 Euros for each of us - and it will be in autumn when nobody knows which virus variant is on its way. We are both 60+ and not in a perfect health condition so these Roxy concerts are out of reach for us.

If there is a show in Munich, eventually next year, we will talk again. In the meantime we hope it will be a successful tour and are of course excited over the other things to come this year (Jocelyn Fiskes book with autographs, a Roxy live album?, FYP SDE?) ;) .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:49 pm 

First of all: of course they have the right to say if, when and where they will perform.

But already for the 40th anniversary they ignored Europe, like now.

Appreciation for the many fans who have accompanied and supported Roxy for decades looks different.

Bryan will surely release his solo album after this Roxy tour and will also announce his own tour in Europe. He's been doing it regularly since 2001 and 2011.

I will not accompany him on the tour, there must be a reminder. Hope others think so too. Should he perform in empty halls?

There's also the Stones. Performing in Germany this year. Genesis was also recently on a farewell tour in Germany.

It doesn't always have to be Roxy/Ferry either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:31 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Richard wrote:
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Roxy Music 2022 tour:

J.O'B.

Hi John

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, I am not sure when that will be 100% confirmed and only then will that information be announced.

Regards
J.O'B.

Thanks John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next