VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Gary Tibbs - reunion tour?
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 am 

Smudge wrote:
Other than a couple of gigs with The Metaphors, I don't think GT has had any involvement with Roxy or BF for 40 years, has he? If that's the case, I don't know why he would have had any expectations of being involved this year.(

Gary Tibbs is very much part of the Roxy​ Music history, this is the 50th anniversary why wouldn't he be asked to join in for this monumental tour? and no disrespect to Neil Jason but he shouldn't be first choice when he has only ever played with BF on solo projects and has nothing to do with Roxy or its history. I don't get it.

Eddie Johnson has also ruled himself out. He would have been ace!

Lucy would be a welcome refreshing change, there must be space for her, that's if she's available.....as long as she doesn't play bass! ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:09 am 

Helen wrote:
Smudge wrote:
Other than a couple of gigs with The Metaphors, I don't think GT has had any involvement with Roxy or BF for 40 years, has he? If that's the case, I don't know why he would have had any expectations of being involved this year.(

Gary Tibbs is very much part of the Roxy​ Music history, this is the 50th anniversary why wouldn't he be asked to join in for this monumental tour? and no disrespect to Neil Jason but he shouldn't be first choice when he has only ever played with BF on solo projects and has nothing to do with Roxy or its history. I don't get it.

Neil Jason played on both the Flesh + Blood and Avalon albums. I got the feeling rightly or wrongly that the hiring of Gary Tibbs for Manifesto may have been to employ someone with punk/new wave credentials. They may have felt that returning in 1979 having as a band sat up the punk years it might help them appear still relevant. Or they may have just decided he was a fine bass player.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:27 am 

Quote:
I got the feeling rightly or wrongly that the hiring of Gary Tibbs for Manifesto may have been to employ someone with punk/new wave credentials. They may have felt that returning in 1979 having as a band sat up the punk years it might help them appear still relevant. Or they may have just decided he was a fine bass player.

When Roxy got back together for Manifesto, their financial situation would not have been great - certainly Bryan's. TBSB had been a commercial failure & Ferry had to bankroll the American leg of the IYM tour against the advice of management as not financially viable. That leads me to think that is reason why album was largely self-produced and Bryan was originally going to play bass - both measures cutting down on expense.

When Bryan didn't work out they asked Herbie Flowers, but he couldn't make it and recommended a young guy he knew called Gary Tibbs. The band joked at the time about Gary being hired 'as it brought the average age of the band down by 10 years', or something like that.

Tibbs comments are partly tongue in cheek. He would be well aware that Roxy had many other bass players, and he joked about only being 14 when debut album was released. However, it was quite timely & clever as bass player for tour may not have been decided at the time.

Interestingly, when Bryan read out the long long list of bass players at the RRHoF induction he omitted to mention Tibbs. Probably just an oversight, but Tibbs did contribute more than most in appearing on Manifesto & F&B albums and the tours.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:30 am 
Site Owner

Helen wrote:
Smudge wrote:
? and no disrespect to Neil Jason but he shouldn't be first choice when he has only ever played with BF on solo projects and has nothing to do with Roxy or its history. I don't get it.

Neil Jason has never played live with Roxy other than the Hall Of Fame show.

Neil has played on 2 Roxy albums:

Flesh + Blood
"Oh Yeah", "Eight Miles High", "No Strange Delight"

Avalon
"Space Between", "While My Heart Is Still Beating", "The Main Thing", "Take A Chance With Me"

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:35 am 
Site Owner

Neil Jason's website says in the "What's New" section

Sessions , Touring Info , Productions :
Back in the studio finishing a number of new projects.
Upcoming performances with the Brecker Bros. Band , Randy Brecker , Brigitte Zarie, Roxy Music ,& Bryan Ferry World Tour...............

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:42 pm 

I didn't infer that GT shouldn't be asked, but merely wondered why he might expect to be, especially after a gap of 40 years.

I suspect that Alan may have hit the nail on the head and that GT's comments may have been tongue in cheek, while flagging up his potential availability. I doubt that he has been sitting by the phone, though... ;)

I've read on social media today suggestions that, as well as NJ, Jorja, Tom & Tugg (drummer Nathan Curran) have posted about their involvement in the tour.

Whether that's accurate, I don't know; if it is, it would seem to suggest that Spedding may not be on the team (and ditto Neil Hubbard). No mention yet about the keyboard and violin roles presumably.

Perhaps there will be official confirmation soon, but it sounds like TGPT may be joining Andy & Phil in having a "shadow" this time around.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:58 pm 

Two drummers, Lordy, it’ll be like the Glitter Band. Also all the harder for Bryan to sing over.

If we’re picking I’d like to nominate “the very versatile Miss Julia Thornton” (per BF) and Colin Good so he can play his rhapsodic intro to Mother of Pearl. Also the dancers, although not necessarily the same ones as I understand there is a bit of complexity there. Definitely the same boas though!

I have it on good authority that they’re planning to go back the the individual showcases again, so AM can do “Walking the Whippet”, PM “No church in the wild” and PT “Your Application’s Failed”. BF, of course, “The Lambton Worm”. Julia might even roll out the old harp?

VV

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:03 pm 

Also, is the great JO’B intimating that there is a BF world tour as well as this little RM outing?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:29 pm 

Sorry, me again. Re Colin Good, of course I meant A Song for Europe! Very apposite!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:35 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Neil Jason's website says in the "What's New" section

Sessions , Touring Info , Productions :
Back in the studio finishing a number of new projects.
Upcoming performances with the Brecker Bros. Band , Randy Brecker , Brigitte Zarie, Roxy Music ,& Bryan Ferry World Tour...............

J.O'B.

Neil Jason is a session musician and never joined Roxy
If we included all session musicians that BF has worked with over the years there would be a list as long as my arm. Many have already been mentioned on here as possible candidates for the tour.

My wish would be to see the closest original Roxy band there could possibly be and this could happen with the inclusion of Gary Tibbs. However, even more doubt looms over that now if Neil Jason has confirmed on his website that he will be touring with Roxy and BF on a world tour. I'd just like to see him play a part.

Not sure if the world tour thing is old news maybe pre pandemic, but if it's recent news then BF must have a new album to share with us and a tour to support it.

That would be great news.