VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Approaching The Tour
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:42 am 

Well, count me in as excited. I have tickets for New York and Boston. The Boston tickets were finally sorted out, and the venue, which opened recently in the shadow of Fenway Park, looks to be terrific. I am not so thrilled to be on the floor at Madison Square Garden next Monday, but, it's Roxy, so I'll cope. :mrgreen:

I am more a fan of the first six albums than the latter two, so I am hopeful that the rumours of "a deep dive into the early material" will hold true. I saw Ferry in Boston in the summer of 2019, and he genuinely seemed happier on stage than I had ever seen him. I also expected that would be the last time I'd see him perform.

I never believed that any of us would ever have a chance to see Roxy Music on stage again. I am thrilled and grateful to have that opportunity two last times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 am 

Roger wrote:
Hi Peter,
Yes strangely quiet - compare and contrast to the announcement of the 2001 tour. Only Phil has put out regular updates, but then they are mostly about his gear for the tour and perhaps only of interest to us guitarists. I have no doubt that the induction into the R&R Hall of Fame and the american tour dates are linked. A tour in Europe may be more difficult now as GB is out of the EU, but by no means impossible - maybe an excuse? I think the gigs should be pretty good as this version of Roxy contains BF solo musicians who have a lot of experience of playing Roxy songs at BF gigs.
After a long time of being on planet Earth I think there's a big difference between doing something because you want to as opposed to doing something because you feel you have too, even though ther may be financial rewards. Look at Robert Fripp. So much desire to want to tour with King Crimson when the possibility arises.
Be well,
Roger

Hi Roger,
I am also convinced that these Roxy shows will take place at a high instrumental and technical level - as you mentioned a lot of musicians had accompanied Bryan during the last years. Although in earlier times a certain amount of musical amateurism had always been a trademark of this art rock band ... Anyway - enjoy the concert wherever it may be 8-) !
- Peter -

Last edited by pianoman on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:56 am 

Uwe wrote:
Dear Peter,
you write correctly that it is very quiet. I simply believe that the expectations are correspondingly low. It's different than the 2001 reunion tour. Somehow there is little anticipation for the upcoming event. I am flying to London with my wife in October. We're going to watch the show at the O2 Arena. I find it very sad that they didn't even record two new songs for these shows. It doesn't have to be a whole new album, but nothing new at all is actually far too little for me.
I believe that Mr. Ferry will need Roxy Music's attention after this tour to market his own album and take it on a world tour. It was similar with Frantic and the subsequent tour.

Dear Uwe,
you wrote some true facts. A new Best Of 2CD with at least three or four songs from the obscure 9th Roxy album would have created publicity. So we must assume that Bryan Ferry uses the Roxy tour as a vehicle to market the complete Love Letters album.
Anyway, have a nice time in London and enjoy Roxy Music 8-) !
- Peter -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:40 am 

The fanfare and excitement surrounding the 2001 tour was never ever going to be met with this tour.
For many people back then I think there was an excitement and disbelief that Roxy were going to be touring again after an 18 year hiatus.
For younger people like myself, born in ‘83, there was an excitement that we were getting to see a group that we thought we had missed the chance of seeing live and would have to make do with the excellent back catalogue.
I think as well Bryan had surprised us all with the ATGB album release and tour and we were all still riding high after that excellent tour.

Since then though Bryan has continuously toured and we’ve had some further Roxy dates since, so although this is still exciting after 11 years, it doesn’t quite hold the same as the 2001 announcement.
I also think music announcements were more exciting back then as social media was still in its infancy - so bands had to do proper announcements, promos, interviews etc.

I still do find it a bit strange, and missed opportunity, that there was no sort of release for this tour. As much as we don’t need another greatest hits we could have had a 2CD set that expanded the song selection or perhaps even a 2CD/DVD set that included the promo videos etc. Something that could have been promoted before hand, sold on tour etc.

Regardless I can’t wait until next month and I’m looking forward to seeing the various clips that will be with us over the next few weeks from the US.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:41 pm 
Site Owner

pianoman wrote:
Uwe wrote:
So we must assume that Bryan Ferry uses the Roxy tour as a vehicle to market the complete Love Letters album.

The Roxy Music 50 Anniversary tour was not conceived to promote any solo album by any Roxy member. This is the tour that many fans asked for to celebrate 50 years of Roxy Music and to take advantage of what may be the last chance they will have to play together.

If Bryan has any forthcoming solo album then I am sure while during any publicity of this tour that he would mention it just like Phil has done for his new album with Tim Finn....and why not.

We can't assume that this tour is just to promote solo work by Bryan, and only Bryan.

Let's celebrate this tour for what it is and not what it isn't.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:44 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
pianoman wrote:
Uwe wrote:
So we must assume that Bryan Ferry uses the Roxy tour as a vehicle to market the complete Love Letters album.

The Roxy Music 50 Anniversary tour was not conceived to promote any solo album by any Roxy member. This is the tour that many fans asked for to celebrate 50 years of Roxy Music and to take advantage of what may be the last chance they will have to play together.

If Bryan has any forthcoming solo album then I am sure while during any publicity of this tour that he would mention it just like Phil has done for his new album with Tim Finn....and why not.

We can't assume that this tour is just to promote solo work by Bryan, and only Bryan.

Let's celebrate this tour for what it is and not what it isn't.

J.O'B.

Thanks John and totally agree - this is a celebration of Roxy Music - nothing more, nothing less

Lets enjoy it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:51 pm 

Quote J.O'B.:
"This is the tour that many fans asked for to celebrate 50 years of Roxy Music..."

Can't believe that may fans in the US asked for this celebration. Why on earth are 10 (ten!) shows planned at the other side of the ocean? You better don't check the ticket sales overthere. So poor...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:09 am 

J.O'B.:"This is the tour that many fans asked for to celebrate 50 years of Roxy Music and to take advantage of what may be the last chance they will have to play together."

Absolutely true, John, we asked for that. But: Was it this tour schedule we were asking for?

I wish the best to all participants of this tour, from Bryan, Phil, Andy and Paul to Jorja Chalmers, Neil Jason and all the people that are working hard to make it happen. And I hope every fan who has a ticket enjoys this last possibility to see Roxy Music in concert.

It was my wish, too, to see RM for one last time but I cannot understand why the band or the management or whoever excludes a lot of absolutely loyal, true lifelong fans who cannot tour across the world for a Roxy concert. And I could never expect that there would not be a single gig in Germany, Austria or Switzerland (I am living not far away from the latter two countries) let alone the Benelux States, Scandinavia, France, Italy, Croatia, Spain, Portugal etc.

Now it is what it is: spot on tonight for the great Roxy Music - my all time heroes - all the best for their show in Toronto (a very nice city where I have been in 1995).

- Peter (from southwest Bavaria) -

PS: And, please, don't forget to switch on cameras and audio devices to give all those an impression of Roxy 2022 who are not there - maybe a CD/DVD/BluRay set or whatever).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:05 am 

Cher amis!

The temperature is rising. This is a time to celebrate. Together with my wife, I watched the dvd Live at Apollo yesterday. Now, that was a party! With dancers, Julia and glamour. All in all, the band was in an excellent form. A song for Europe, with the intro by Colin Good, is a masterpiece up in the alptops where the likes of Sibelius and Mahler resides.
So, tomorrow morning we will read the set list!
I agree with the great pianoman to a certain degree. Probablement le bordel s'appelle Brexit is to blame. A good balance should be something like 3 dates in America, 5 in UK and 10 in Europe in cities like Munich, Amsterdam, Copenhagen und so weiter.
Enjoy the show!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:45 am 

Good new! It seems that Toronto is nearly sold-out !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next