VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Approaching The Tour
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:34 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com
Post subject: Re: BBC Radio 2 Roxy Music at 50 3 , 3 part seriesUnread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:31 am
Site Owner

Windswept2 wrote:
Does anybody know if Colin Good is in the band ?

Colin is not part of the 2022 band.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 pm 

Mes Amis,
Quel bordel - J.O’B confirms’No Colin’.
Monsieur Good was the best musical director to ever share the stage with our hero. Nobody tinkles the ivories like Colin and who will ever forget the fabulous intro he penned for ASFE ?
Who have we on keyboards ?
This seems to stagger from bad to worse.
First off we are obliged to traipse to the O2 and then we learn there will be no Colin.
Quelle sera l’etape suivante ? No dancers peut-etre ?
W2 is beginning to think an ATGB reunion tour would be a much better idea.
Windswept must take a positivity tablet.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:11 pm 

After several emails to Ticketmaster, The Roxy Webmaster, and the new venue in Boston, the MGM Music Hall, I finally got a response:

"...since you had purchased tickets through Ticketmaster your tickets will be valid for the new show at MGM Music Hall At Fenway. Ticketmaster is currently switching over the inventory and will be contacting you next week with your new seats. Thank you, "

My relief is profound. I can sleep at night and am grateful that I will be seeing them in a far more appropriate venue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 pm 

How does it work when the venues are switched? Do they just issue new e-tickets? I guess most people will be happy with a smaller venue?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:37 pm 

The Los Angeles show looks about half sold one month out. This makes me curious as to what sort of atmosphere we can expect. Large arenas can be soulless at the best of times, large and sparsely populated could net pretty low energy.

I wonder if we can expect the promoters to start deeply discounting the tickets just to get warm bodies in seats and claw back some revenue.

Regardless I’m not going to let it spoil the opportunity to see one of my favorite groups on what is most likely their final tour of the USA - an opportunity I frankly never saw happening. St. Vincent as an opening act should be wonderful as I’d pay to see her show anyway.

Curious to see the merchandise opportunities beyond t shirts. Ferry usually puts together thoughtful programs on his solo tours.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:56 am 

I’m not really surprised that the US leg ( and that is most of it, its an American tour, no venues in Europe, none in Australia, 3 in the UK . 3! ) is not selling well. They weren’t that popular there and there has been nothing to make this 50th anniversary a special event. So what is the point? I’m confounded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:49 pm 

It's very quiet here in view of the fact that "the band of bands" will perform in Toronto/CAN the day after tomorrow - three years after the RnR Hall Of Fame show and eleven years after their FYP tour.

No excitement? Although I cannot participate in one of the shows I am very curious how it all works. Setlist? Performance? Public? It was very courageous to plan such a tour during Covid with a lot of elderly musicians. Good luck to them!

And courageous, too, to play mainly on a continent where they had often been nothing more than an insider's tip. Recently I read about the logistical and financial problems that bands have when they are willing to perform in continental Europe - thanks to Brexit ...

I hope to read about the Toronto gig in this forum - anybody going to the show?

- pianoman -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:48 pm 

Plenty of excitement. I too, was thinking it's been very quiet here. Maybe people are waiting to see/hear what the set list offers. Just read that there will be a deep dive into the early material with some latter ones sprinkled in there.

Very Hopeful.
Cynicism set aside.
No Eno? Okay
No Jobson? Okay.
No Spedding? Okay.
No Colin Good? Uh...okay.

More anxious by the day.

Seeing them in NYC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:36 pm 

pianoman wrote:
It's very quiet here in view of the fact that "the band of bands" will perform in Toronto/CAN the day after tomorrow - three years after the RnR Hall Of Fame show and eleven years after their FYP tour.

No excitement? Although I cannot participate in one of the shows I am very curious how it all works. Setlist? Performance? Public? It was very courageous to plan such a tour during Covid with a lot of elderly musicians. Good luck to them!

And courageous, too, to play mainly on a continent where they had often been nothing more than an insider's tip. Recently I read about the logistical and financial problems that bands have when they are willing to perform in continental Europe - thanks to Brexit ...

I hope to read about the Toronto gig in this forum - anybody going to the show?

- pianoman -

Hi Peter,
Yes strangely quiet - compare and contrast to the announcement of the 2001 tour. Only Phil has put out regular updates, but then they are mostly about his gear for the tour and perhaps only of interest to us guitarists. I have no doubt that the induction into the R&R Hall of Fame and the american tour dates are linked. A tour in Europe may be more difficult now as GB is out of the EU, but by no means impossible - maybe an excuse? I think the gigs should be pretty good as this version of Roxy contains BF solo musicians who have a lot of experience of playing Roxy songs at BF gigs.
After a long time of being on planet Earth I think there's a big difference between doing something because you want to as opposed to doing something because you feel you have too, even though ther may be financial rewards. Look at Robert Fripp. So much desire to want to tour with King Crimson when the possibility arises.
Be well,
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:06 am 

Dear Peter,

you write correctly that it is very quiet. I simply believe that the expectations are correspondingly low. It's different than the 2001 reunion tour. Somehow there is little anticipation for the upcoming event. I am flying to London with my wife in October. We're going to watch the show at the O2 Arena. I find it very sad that they didn't even record two new songs for these shows. It doesn't have to be a whole new album, but nothing new at all is actually far too little for me.
I believe that Mr. Ferry will need Roxy Music's attention after this tour to market his own album and take it on a world tour. It was similar with Frantic and the subsequent tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next