VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Madison Square Garden,NYC, 12.09.2022 - Roxy, that was great
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:33 pm 

Finally, a tribute to the Queen. It has style, it has class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03mMAjNW2I

Post subject: Re: Madison Square Garden,NYC, 12.09.2022 - Roxy, that was g
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:45 pm 

Cher Uwe,
Thanks so much for posting this.
Yes, it has style, it has class and is a beautiful tribute.
RIP Queen Elizabeth.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:24 pm 

Thank you Uwe for this wonderful piece of instrumental music. Long live Andy who brought the oboe into rock music. Nice strings of key-pearls, brilliant cascades from the acoustic guitar. Maybe Tara is the only Roxy song that has grown longer and certainly better after 1982!

And yes, Queen Elizabeth II ... Tomorrow it will be 5 years my mother passed away - she was born in 1926, too, and always emphasized that The British Queen and she were born in the same year. Tara is really a good song to remember earlier times and I think I will listen to it once again tomorrow. Tara ... (isn't that "goodbye" in the Newcastle dialect?). Goodbye Ma'am, goodbye Mum ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:11 pm 

Beautiful. Andy is the soul of Roxy...

As the photo of QEII from the 1950s appeared, I thought of Three and Nine (co-written by Andy), a great song that hearkens back to a lost Britain transformed by the rush of late 20th century modernity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:58 pm 

I am not a Brit, but I found it to a moving tribute last night. My own mother died this past November was also born in 1926. The last survivors of a generation pass, we especially with the image of Quenn Elizabeth II posted shown at the end of Tara, we can see their grace, their fortitude, and their glamour.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 pm 

I just got home this afternoon after seeing Roxy at the Madison Square Garden and driving from my former, though still beloved one time home of New York.

I enjoyed the show immensely, but felt the crowd was restless. I can understand people wanting to be on their feet for the lively numbers, but to stand for To Turn You On seems a lttle off-kilter. There were two younger fans a couple a of rows in front of us who stood throughout, blocking the view of the stage. A woman of a certain age sitting behind me commented that "[She} had shoes older and cooler than those kids."

As an opening act, St Vincent was spectacular. I had only a passing knowledge of her catalogue, but I was swept away in the heat of the moment. She was witty, dynamic, playful and damned sexy. I'm officially a fan.

Roxy was terrific, Phil seemed to take a stronger role than i recall in past tours. His lead work, especially the guitar tone really recalled the Quiet Sun work to me. I can't know if that was his intent, but he was not simply recreating the records-there was an adventurous approach to his playing that I really enjoyed. I had really enjoyed Jorja Chalmers during Ferry's last tour, she seemed subdued last night and less of a stage presence and more of a backing band member. Andy Mackay seemed subdued as well.

Ferry's voice really ain't what it was-not even in the last three years since I last saw him. The falsetto is gone and the lower register doesn't always have strength. He relied on the backing singers more than I recall to complete the vocal lines.

I don't mean to make these sound like complaints. I loved the show and am looking forward to Boston, which will be a smaller venue and I think will make for a better focused show. I will however, miss St Vincent as the opener.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:44 pm 

EERO wrote:
I am not a Brit, but I found it to a moving tribute last night. My own mother died this past November was also born in 1926. The last survivors of a generation pass, we especially with the image of Quenn Elizabeth II posted shown at the end of Tara, we can see their grace, their fortitude, and their glamour.
pianoman wrote:
Thank you Uwe for this wonderful piece of instrumental music. Long live Andy who brought the oboe into rock music. Nice strings of key-pearls, brilliant cascades from the acoustic guitar. Maybe Tara is the only Roxy song that has grown longer and certainly better after 1982!

And yes, Queen Elizabeth II ... Tomorrow it will be 5 years my mother passed away - she was born in 1926, too, and always emphasized that The British Queen and she were born in the same year. Tara is really a good song to remember earlier times and I think I will listen to it once again tomorrow. Tara ... (isn't that "goodbye" in the Newcastle dialect?). Goodbye Ma'am, goodbye Mum ...

Condolences to both of you. My late Father was also born in 1926 and passed in 2018 aged 91. He suffered a serious stroke in 2010, but made a remarkable recovery. One thing that kept him going during his recovery was his strong desire to live to be 100 years old and so get his telegram from Her Majesty The Queen, meaning that she would also have lived to 100.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:59 pm 

EERO wrote:
I just got home this afternoon after seeing Roxy at the Madison Square Garden and driving from my former, though still beloved one time home of New York.

I enjoyed the show immensely, but felt the crowd was restless. I can understand people wanting to be on their feet for the lively numbers, but to stand for To Turn You On seems a lttle off-kilter. There were two younger fans a couple a of rows in front of us who stood throughout, blocking the view of the stage. A woman of a certain age sitting behind me commented that "[She} had shoes older and cooler than those kids."

As an opening act, St Vincent was spectacular. I had only a passing knowledge of her catalogue, but I was swept away in the heat of the moment. She was witty, dynamic, playful and damned sexy. I'm officially a fan.

Roxy was terrific, Phil seemed to take a stronger role than i recall in past tours. His lead work, especially the guitar tone really recalled the Quiet Sun work to me. I can't know if that was his intent, but he was not simply recreating the records-there was an adventurous approach to his playing that I really enjoyed. I had really enjoyed Jorja Chalmers during Ferry's last tour, she seemed subdued last night and less of a stage presence and more of a backing band member. Andy Mackay seemed subdued as well.

Ferry's voice really ain't what it was-not even in the last three years since I last saw him. The falsetto is gone and the lower register doesn't always have strength. He relied on the backing singers more than I recall to complete the vocal lines.

I don't mean to make these sound like complaints. I loved the show and am looking forward to Boston, which will be a smaller venue and I think will make for a better focused show. I will however, miss St Vincent as the opener.

EERO IMHO Phil has been a vastly underrated guitar player for many years. Most people who play in a band have to make compromises, but I think as time went on Phil had to make more and more. When Eddie joined some of Phil's solos went to EJ (eg the live version of Strictly Confidential), but the big change was the arrival of Neil Hubbard. Phil made a huge contribution to Roxy for the first 5 albums, although the experimental aspect of his playing got diluted over time, and again he was excellent on Manifesto. He didn't get so much of an opportunity on F&B, and was almost a second guitarist on Avalon.
One of the most complete performances I have seen live by a guitar player was Phil in the second version of 801 without Eno and with Simon Ainsley. With Roxy he was top notch on the Siren and Manifesto tours, but was superb when I saw him on the F&B tour - perhaps he felt that he had something to prove with NH on stage?
Phil has put a lot of thought into his set up for this tour and it's great to see him enjoying being released from his Roxy shackles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:29 pm 

Last Night @ MSG...
Mixed emotions as I saw my favorite lifelong band for one of the last 2 times. I so much appreciated getting to see Roxy in full lineup after so many BF solo tours the last 15 years. The power of PM and AM upfront with BF, and TGPT in the back was once again so great to hear. AM had some great moments but to me PM stole the show. He was, as always, absolutely magnificent on the numbers he was able to cut loose on. (versus the simple strumming on most of those simple Avalon/F&B numbers). Good light/visual backdrops as well.
BF seemed to really being enjoying himself, frequently smiling towards PM and AM.
For the not so great... There are things you can control and those you can't. BF voice as has been written often is not something one can control and thus it is what it is, but certainly no fault. Fonzi et al smoothed things out.
What they(BF) can control is where you play, what you play and who plays.
WHERE YOU PLAY: The 50% crowd in a venue built for hockey.. why not the Theater at MSG where they played 20 years ago instead of trying to fill the big barn? WHAT YOU PLAY..as stated before , NOTHING from Stranded and 1 from Country Life? For me it was a bit hard to listen to main thing, more than this, Love Drug, Dance away, Jealous Guy etc.
WHO PLAYS.. TGPT was strong as always, he does not need the tug standing next to him. At times, 4 people on keys(band leader, Chole Smith on keys, Jorja on keys, and BF on Keys. Really?? Perhaps 1 less on keys and Lucy Wilkens or another on strings?
All in all, a enjoyable night, and look forward to seeing them 1 more time in a few days. But was hoping for a classic bookend to this incredible influence on my life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:08 am 

I was there at MSG last night too, and it was fantastic. TGPT's drumming was so appreciated, especially what he contributed to the F+B and Avalon numbers. I got the impression that AM was in as fine form as we can expect from him these days. Phil killed it on Ladytron, ITIS, and many others. If I had my way, they could have swapped out Dance Away or Oh Yeah and substituted A Really Good Time, 2HB or Sentimental Fool. Regardless, it was great to hear RM/RM, The Bogus Man and Tara was a real highlight. Great projections, Bryan's voice sounded fine (in the way he presently sings) except for the occasional moment.
Also, my feeling is that the reason they chose The Garden (as we call it in NYC) as the venue was perhaps even though it was not sold out, was more of a triumphant return than when they opened for Jethro Tull decades ago.
What an emotional night!