VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Opening Night
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:13 am 

... a new try ....

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/m ... -begins-50

This one was for the diehards: Roxy Music begins 50th anniversary tour in Toronto
Roxy Music kicked off its 13-date world tour at Scotiabank Arena on Wednesday night with opening act St. Vincent.
Nostalgia is a magnanimous mistress.

As Roxy Music kicked off its 50th Anniversary 13-date world tour at Scotiabank Arena on Wednesday night, it didn’t take too long for the crowd to discover that the ravages of time had caught up with at least one member of the iconic British art rock band.

Unfortunately, that band member happened to be 76-years-young Bryan Ferry, the group’s charismatic, debonair singer and chief songwriter, whose vocal range and power have — perhaps not unexpectedly — diminished with age.
It wasn’t so apparent with the first couple of numbers, as Roxy came blasting out of the gates with “Remake/Remodel” — the introductory track on the band’s self-titled 1972 debut and the alluring “Out Of The Blue” from 1974’s “Country Life,” as the audience’s senses were overloaded with career-summarizing video projection for the former song and a psychedelic brew for the latter.

There was also no shortage of stellar musicianship from the 11-piece band that included charter Roxy members Phil Manzanera on guitar, Andy Mackay on soprano and alto saxes and Paul Thompson on drums, a couple of keyboardists, a percussionist, an additional guitarist, an additional saxophonist, reputed New York session musician Neil Jason on bass, and a male/female vocal tandem that included veteran Roxy cohort Fonzi Thornton.

But as the show progressed with “For Your Pleasure’s” “The Bogus Man,” and the quieter “To Turn You On,” it was evident that Ferry wasn’t straining himself too heavily, preferring nuance over volume to the point where his crooning occasionally trailed off in the vocal mix and happily allowing the shadow vocals of his two accompanying singers to carry him where needed.

One of the most telling moments of his upper range loss came during “More Than This,” which startled as his usual milky smooth vocals registered in at an octave lower, offering a more brisk rendition than the original recorded version.

Probably not to the faithful who stood on the floor, transfixed by the Roxy Music magic that was materializing before their eyes. The numerous visual backdrops that appeared on a multiple horizontal split screen setup were largely attuned to the mood whatever song was being played, with live cameras occasionally interrupting the imagery to spotlight a particularly searing Manzanera solo or a Mackay horn part.

From my section 101 vantage point at the back of the arena, the most distracting aspect was that one of the screens was off-kilter with the others, giving distorted views of band members to the point where Paul Thompson’s scalp seemed to be separated from the rest of his torso, depending on the camera angle. Perhaps this was a first night mistake, but if it wasn’t, it’s visually disruptive to the full enjoyment of the show.

As the band paraded truncated favourites like “Love Is The Drug,” “Dance Away” and “Do The Strand,” to their fans, Ferry — who took turns singing both in front of a mic and sitting behind his Wurlitzer electric piano — seemed to relax with each enthusiastic response from the faithful, both parties aware that this was a historic victory lap from one of pop music’s more influential voices.

The fact that it’s been 48 years since local promoter Martin Onrot — who died on Aug. 24 — first brought Roxy Music to a sold-out Massey Hall and that the outfit has given us some magnificent music over the past half-century was the double impetus behind the celebration. In terms of spectacle, Roxy Music didn’t disappoint, although it would have been nice if they had been rewarded with a fully attended venue, as there were noticeable pockets of empty seats strewn throughout the arena.

The crowd was properly pumped for the occasion with a spectacular opening set by Annie Clark, a.k.a. St. Vincent. Backed by a seven-piece band and blessed by perfect sound, St. Vincent dazzled with an ebullient 10-song rock set that included the electrifying “Los Ageless” and mesmerizing “Fast Slow Disco” before ending a cappella with “The Melting Of The Sun.”

Clark, who shone on guitar and a novel use of lighting, may not have the legacy of a Roxy Music behind her at the moment, but she clearly is worthy of eventually reaching that stature, especially as a must-see concert attraction.

And if this is Roxy Music’s final hurrah, the 20-song set that hit various touchstones of their career ended on a good note as a gallant trip down memory lane.

This one was for the diehards.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:34 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
owhawell wrote:

I don’t really understand the level of vitriol on this forum concerning the set lis…..

Cher owhawell,
W2 doesn’t see any “vitriol” here. Just genuine fans expressing honest opinions and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Windswept is quite correct:
"vitriol
noun
bitter criticism or malice"

There's not a trace of bitterness or malice in anything anyone has written, so it's rather perverse to suggest otherwise. In fact, quite the opposite is true. These responses are constructive and written with heartfelt affection for a collection of musicians who mean so much to everyone who contributes here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 am 

Well my very positive constructive take on the set list is that, due to the presence of Paul Thompson, and a very muscular Phil and Andy, we get to hear tracks from Avalon and Flesh + Blood played by “Roxy Music”. Back in 2011 I was thrilled to hear how PM, AM and PT transformed To Turn You On, and to a lesser degree The Main Thing: AM has added a little rhythmic embellishment to the main riff.

For old school fans (like me) I’m delighted to hear PT drum on Same Old Scene, Oh Yeah, My Only Love, The Main Thing, Avalon, While My Heart is Still Beating, More Than This and To Turn You On.

I'd rather have a set of “commercial 80s Roxy” performed by Roxy Music, than a set of “undisputed classic 70s Roxy” performed by Bryan Ferry with a backing band regardless of their ability. I want to hear PT, PM and AM.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:30 pm 

owhawell wrote:
Well my very positive constructive take on the set list is that, due to the presence of Paul Thompson, and a very muscular Phil and Andy, we get to hear tracks from Avalon and Flesh + Blood played by “Roxy Music”. Back in 2011 I was thrilled to hear how PM, AM and PT transformed To Turn You On, and to a lesser degree The Main Thing: AM has added a little rhythmic embellishment to the main riff.

For old school fans (like me) I’m delighted to hear PT drum on Same Old Scene, Oh Yeah, My Only Love, The Main Thing, Avalon, While My Heart is Still Beating, More Than This and To Turn You On.

I'd rather have a set of “commercial 80s Roxy” performed by Roxy Music, than a set of “undisputed classic 70s Roxy” performed by Bryan Ferry with a backing band regardless of their ability. I want to hear PT, PM and AM.

Agree with you 100%. I've raised the issue of BF playing a very high percentage of Roxy classics on his solo tours and not really doing the songs justice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6