VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Opening Night
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:32 am 

Set list from tonight’s (this morning U.K.) show!

RMRM/Out of The Blue/Bogus Man/Ladytron/While My Heart Is Still Beating/Oh Yeah/To Turn You On/If There Is Something/IEDHAH/Tara/Main Thing/Dance Away/My Only Love/More Than This/Avalon/Same Old Scene/Love Is The Drug/Do The Strand/Editions of You/Jealous Guy

Have friends in Canada who were at the show so was getting sent live clips/photos updates! Band sounding in good form from the clips they sent and looking like they were having a great time.
No real surprises in the set list although I think we all knew there was never going to be.
Will be interesting to see if the set list has any subtle changes going forward.

Post subject: Re: Opening Night
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:21 am 

Actually that’s a pretty uninspired set list - save a few, almost a carbon copy of the 2001 reunion tour.

I was hoping for more deep cuts. Nothing from Stranded? No Virginia Plain?

Hopefully they’ve prepared some other songs to substitute. Might I humbly suggest My Only Love be the first casualty.

*manifesting 2HB and literally anything from Stranded*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:32 am 

Yeah my thoughts were I wonder if this is more a set list aimed for the US market and we might get a bit of a shake up in the UK.

I’m thinking back to the 2011 FYP tour which had a great set list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:41 am 

Having been in a Roxy Music tribute band, I can see the logic behind this set list. In fact the only songs that we didn’t perform from the set are While My Heart is Still Beating, and My Only Love. One could argue that they are the two deepest cuts, and they came from the two best selling albums so are somewhat justified.

The early album tracks all serve a function: oboe present and correct, big Manzanera solos, opportunities for Paul Thompson to shine (and he always mentions The Bogus Man as his favourite track), so the only “surprise” is the apparent absence of the Mackay solo in Song For Europe - but Tara is still in the set so he still gets his moment in the spotlight.

It’s the first post reunion set that actually has a majority of “later” material so in that regards actually balances out both 2001 and 2011 - and the 2011 tour did receive some criticism from non-fans for having far too many deep cuts.

I know from the feedback from our audiences that the only grumbles would have been about Heart Still Beating and My Only Love.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:01 am 

As I read the opening post, I was trying hard not to let my eyes get ahead of my brain in the expectation of surprises in the set list. Yes, it's great to have the band performing again, but for all the talk of delving deep into the back catalogue / playing songs because no-one else will, it's a pretty uninspiring selection.
As mentioned, maybe it'll develop as the tour progresses and the makeup of the audiences changes but on this evidence it pales compared to 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:50 am 

I know I've written negatively about BF and Roxy lately and I'm glad they're still active. But the opening song RMRM doesn't excite me. In my opinion, the earlier dynamic is missing. Maybe the quality of the recording isn't that good either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoQ0TT-uG8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:58 am 

Maybe to supplement. Of course I'm glad they're still on stage. And of course I'm aware that they've gotten older. I wish Roxy the best of luck on the rest of her tour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:18 am 

Uwe wrote:
I know I've written negatively about BF and Roxy lately and I'm glad they're still active. But the opening song RMRM doesn't excite me. In my opinion, the earlier dynamic is missing. Maybe the quality of the recording isn't that good either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoQ0TT-uG8

I thought it was a strange one to start with given that there was no curtain to be pulled back like in the 2001 tour.
So there’s not really an intro for Bryan to swagger onto like he did with The Main Thing in 2011.
I thought they would have picked a song with an intro for the band to play and then Bryan making his stage entrance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:25 am 

There are several opening night clips on official Instagram pages. Maybe they're not accurately capturing the mood but the audience seems as thrilled - or not! - as the band.
At least the video backdrop is stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 am 

UKRichard wrote:
There are several opening night clips on official Instagram pages. Maybe they're not accurately capturing the mood but the audience seems as thrilled - or not! - as the band.
At least the video backdrop is stunning.

My friends were near the front and it looked like people were enjoying themselves up on their feet.
Still don’t think anywhere will beat the UK for atmosphere.