VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opening Night
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:29 am 

Not posted here in a while but nevertheless I have been following all the posts with interest. The set list sounds like " The Same Old Scene " to me too. Let's hope the UK gigs have more variety. As many others have said, why on earth are Roxy playing such huge stadiums which are devoid of atmosphere and for the poor souls at the back ( me at the 02 - I could not afford the ridiculous prices ) very difficult to see. I understand, the moody lighting for the Roxy image but it does not suit such big venues. I think I will be peering through the gloom with my binoculars hoping to recognise members of the band !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:24 am 

I'm excited to see them on Monday in New York, but I am not thrilled by the Toronto set-list. I Love RMRM, but hoped that the would lead song, as been mentioned, would be something for Ferry to saunter onto the stage to the adoring swooning crowd, Manifesto perhaps. I guess the deep dive we all hoped for is not happening, the absence of Stranded, really disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:28 pm 

Uwe wrote:
I know I've written negatively about BF and Roxy lately and I'm glad they're still active. But the opening song RMRM doesn't excite me. In my opinion, the earlier dynamic is missing. Maybe the quality of the recording isn't that good either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoQ0TT-uG8

I've just watched this. Where is the second verse? I hate it when bands play incomplete songs! Anyway all fairly safe, but then with no warm up gigs that's fair enough. On such a short tour there's not too much opportunity to tweak things, like on the 2001 tour when the guitars were made more prominent in the mix.

I'm surprised that To Turn You On is featuring. A B side that neither Phil or Andy played on. How it ended up on Avalon?.................

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:08 pm 

A rather staid and unadventurous set list that didn't push the envelope in any interesting way IMHO.

Over the summer we were teased with Manifesto and All I Want is You as possible/likely tunes, but they didn't make it on to the Toronto set list. Maybe later...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:15 pm 

Roger wrote:
Uwe wrote:
I know I've written negatively about BF and Roxy lately and I'm glad they're still active. But the opening song RMRM doesn't excite me. In my opinion, the earlier dynamic is missing. Maybe the quality of the recording isn't that good either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoQ0TT-uG8

I've just watched this. Where is the second verse? I hate it when bands play incomplete songs! Anyway all fairly safe, but then with no warm up gigs that's fair enough. On such a short tour there's not too much opportunity to tweak things, like on the 2001 tour when the guitars were made more prominent in the mix.

I'm surprised that To Turn You On is featuring. A B side that neither Phil or Andy played on. How it ended up on Avalon?.................

I dont know why they do TTYO for the reason you state - nice song but not Roxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:18 pm 

having watched a few clips, they are definitely playing at a slower tempo than they have in the past but that can be a good thing.

The band sounded pretty damn good and the staging looked fab.

The set list does seem designed for the US and I relay hope we get a UK version

Good to see Bogus Man included though

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:50 pm 

well from this U.S. fan the setlist was VERY disappointing. As others have mentioned how do you do a 50 yr anniversary with NOTHING from your finest album, Stranded? only 1 from Country Life, OOTB, with NO strings, only 1 from Siren the obvious Love Drug, UGH! Agree that the opener was edited short, no dramatic entrance etc. When they chose RMRM on the 2001 tour they did with BF in the corner on keys and then he made his dramatic walk to center stage, so the song can be done effectively as an opener but not this way. Also the closer, Jealous Guy, again UGH. The 2001 closer FYP was so effective. Would trade out backup drummer for a string player and some dancers! (Does TGPT really need a backup?)The lighting looks good, band sounded tight, but setlist selections... lets hope for some changes come NYC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:58 pm 

I had a chance to watch some Youtube videos of the Toronto set and was struck by the slow/languid tempos on many of the songs. Yes, this is a band of septuagenarians... And the crowd was likely well over 50 for the most part....

On the plus side, despite the slow tempos, this was definitely Roxy Music and Phil and Andy and TGPT were doing their part. BF is also trying hard, but the years haven't been kind to his vocal chords and no one should expect the vocals to sound like they did back in 2001.

Sigh

I too noticed that there are no strings in the band and that this had an impact on OOTB. Like Frejus/1982 Phil stepped up and filled in for EJ as best he could, but it's just not the same... Sigh redux

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:38 pm 

Based on the videos on YT, well...ehm...I mean...ehm...well it ain't great. The setlist, the performance, even mr. Ferry's clothing, it all doesn't convince.
Okay, Phil and TGPT seem to be in good shape, but what about Andy? He is constantly blown away by that sax-lady. Deeply sad...
The one who could bring some energy is absent: Eddie Jobson is sorely missed. OOTB without strings is a highly detrimental omission anyway.

Surplus sadness: condolences to the British people with the loss of your Queen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:46 pm 

DCJ wrote:
I had a chance to watch some Youtube videos of the Toronto set and was struck by the slow/languid tempos on many of the songs. Yes, this is a band of septuagenarians... And the crowd was likely well over 50 for the most part....

On the plus side, despite the slow tempos, this was definitely Roxy Music and Phil and Andy and TGPT were doing their part. BF is also trying hard, but the years haven't been kind to his vocal chords and no one should expect the vocals to sound like they did back in 2001.

Sigh

I too noticed that there are no strings in the band and that this had an impact on OOTB. Like Frejus/1982 Phil stepped up and filled in for EJ as best he could, but it's just not the same... Sigh redux

I'm not sure when Phil wrote the music for Out of the Blue. It may have been written with a violin solo in mind - I don't know. However, I've seen OOTB several times with a guitar solo at the end and I prefer that. It was played like that on the Manifesto tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next