VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opening Night
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:16 am 

First of all, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to all Brits in the Kingdom on the death of the Queen. Here in Germany, too, many people shed tears yesterday.
Her death is a great loss for everyone in the world.

I will comment again on Roxy Music when I have seen recordings on You Tube of the 2nd concert. Maybe just this: I'm shocked...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:39 am 

My heartfelt condolences to all Britons, too.

Concerning the first Roxy Music video clips from Toronto almost everything is said in this thread. What irritated me from the start of RM/RM was the drumming support for Paul. Is it really necessary to place a second drummer standing next to TGPT? If this man is a percussionist as stated on this website you can place him somewhere in the background ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:42 pm 

Have to agree with the negative posts regards the Toronto clips.It is a hard watch unfortunately, the 50th anniversary tour looks to be a step too far.Sorry to say it all looked a bit wooden, even with a dozen people on stage it all seems a bit flat (apart from the video backdrop).... even Byran's usual sartorial elegance looks to be absent.
On a brighter note here is a link to 'Love is the Drug' which is a new restoration and edit of live footage and high quality audio from the Roxy Music Siren tour, recorded at Wembley in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaBTicZMWbg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:22 pm 

billy porter wrote:
On a brighter note here is a link to 'Love is the Drug' which is a new restoration and edit of live footage and high quality audio from the Roxy Music Siren tour, recorded at Wembley in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaBTicZMWbg

That's a very enjoyable watch Billy, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:56 pm 

Whats with Ferry's attire? Looks fine to me .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:58 pm 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 93/page-16

Not sure how much reliance to put on Paul's Facebook comment about the set lists changing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:44 pm 

pianoman wrote:
My heartfelt condolences to all Britons, too.

Concerning the first Roxy Music video clips from Toronto almost everything is said in this thread. What irritated me from the start of RM/RM was the drumming support for Paul. Is it really necessary to place a second drummer standing next to TGPT? If this man is a percussionist as stated on this website you can place him somewhere in the background ...

Paul is more than holding his own from the clips I have seen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:49 pm 

True2Life wrote:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/roxy-music-50th-anniversary-tour.1140693/page-16

Not sure how much reliance to put on Paul's Facebook comment about the set lists changing.

I do hope they speed things up a bit, back to normal tempo. It seems almost a pedestrian tempo, LID OOTB for a couple to note.

2001 & 2011 sounded much fuller but I guess it's just nice to see them for what is likely the last time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:21 pm 

Regarding PT’s comment about the set list changing every night.

When PM performed in Japan the set was indeed different at every show - almost certainly to ensure that every song was performed at least twice for the subsequent double CD live album.

Given that they are performing to clicks it would conceivably be possible to blend takes from different shows if necessary.

I don’t really understand the level of vitriol on this forum concerning the set list…although I would very much like 2011 to have an official release, and of course I would love to hear something special like Just Another High or Spin Me Round…but my partner would be massively impressed by last night’s show and would think the balance of deep cuts with commercial songs was bang on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:50 pm 

I didn’t think Editions of You was too bad, but totally share the concerns at the overall feel.

As I said in an earlier post, they really needed to do something a bit different, whether in choice of repertoire, arrangements, or something.

But they seem to have done the opposite; a smaller, poorer band, more boring song selection, and worse arrangements. I really can’t fathom this unless the poor old chaps really are on their last legs and incapable of any imaginative thought. But in individual interviews etc this seems to be far from the case.

There’s quite a gap between the US and UK legs. For the sake of the legacy I seriously suggest that they think very hard about what to do in that space to spruce things up. This simply lets everyone down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next