VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I have hope again - Washington DC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:26 pm 

That sounds a lot better. Whether they have changed the technology ... you can definitely see and hear more steam in the Roxy locomotive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrfDyoVHns

Post subject: Re: I have hope again - Washington DC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:03 pm 

THIS IS ROXY MUSIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rKtvSFLAQ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:55 pm 

I had a chance to watch some youtube clips that feature several songs from the DC gig. The band is very strong and TGPT is in excellent form - really great.

OOTB sounded good except that the violin solo is sorely missed.

Overall, the tough part is that the vocals are, let's say, "in-and-out" and, sadly, fall short of matching the power and intensity of the rest of the performance. Sigh...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:27 pm 

DCJ wrote:
I had a chance to watch some youtube clips that feature several songs from the DC gig. The band is very strong and TGPT is in excellent form - really great.

OOTB sounded good except that the violin solo is sorely missed.

Overall, the tough part is that the vocals are, let's say, "in-and-out" and, sadly, fall short of matching the power and intensity of the rest of the performance. Sigh...

Hipsters,
W2 has always been a defender of the realm when it came to ‘The Voice’ principally because it has remained recognisably Ferry whilst taking on a new charm that is perfectly suited to his latter recordings and arrangements.
That said, DCJ is correct in his assessment that he no longer has the power and range to match the intensity of a band playing a Roxy back catalogue in the VO style. Furthermore the sound systems in these huge auditoriums will doubtless highlight this.
Despite this and the pedestrian set list, W2 will still be galvanised on the night if for no other reason that it will mark the end of a magical musical journey that started at Redcar Jazz Club on Sunday 4th June 1972. What a fabulous journey it has been.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:00 pm 

Uwe wrote:

I agree with you Uwe.
What are the positives so far? IMHO:
1 Phil enjoying things and sounding great, I just don't like his jacket :D He has a excellent sound system and a good guitar tech to support him off stage. Also Tom respecting his place as second guitarist, unlike say the Avalon tour where Phil appeared to be second to Neil Hubbard. I always think that guitarists get better with age - just look at Phil and Robert Fripp!!!
2 TGPT. We all know how great Paul is.
3 Andy somewhat hampered by his disability, but still able to play the smaller saxes to great effect.
4 Bryan still very able as the RM frontman. Realism is needed and it's unfair to expect BF to sound the same as he did 50 years ago.
5 Neil Jason very capable as always.
So what needs changing? Again IMHO:
1 The set list, although I can believe at the moment it may be tailored to US tastes.
2 The backing vocals. Out of my comfort zone here, but the arrangements seem to be drowning BF out at some points.
3 The sound mix? As with all tours this is the case amd I'm sure that Bryan and Phil will be listening to recordings of the gigs. After a few gigs on the 2001 tour the decision was taken to bring the guitars of PM/CS higher up in the mix.
Let's be kind to our heroes. How long were they in the US for before their first gig (jet lag?), and don't forget that first night nerves can affect even the most experienced people. We should remember that on the 2001 tour about 50 gigs were played until the DVD was recorded.
So just my thoughts.
Finally a big thank you to our forum members from outside of the UK for offering their condolences about the passing of Her Majesty The Queen. She was always a selfless leader particulary during the COVID-19 crisis, when she led from the front, made personal sacrifices and suffered her own great loss during that period. RIP Ma'am.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:31 pm 

It`s impossible not to have one`s say on this. I`ve just heard "Same Old Scene". It`s different, but they came through decently. Finally Andy could be heared, doing at least a bit of his part of this song.

-But "My Only Love"? -Hmm, it almost stops in the middle of it. Originally there were a slow disco rythm, a strong pulse running through the whole song. Of course the bass player had a lot to do with that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:59 pm 

I've just watched More Than This. Why chop the guitars off at the end? But a full length version of Oh Yeah and a short version of If There is Something???

Last edited by Roger on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:06 pm 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... one-arena/

Review of Washington concert by The Washington Post.

Roxy Music celebrates 50 years, with a reunion show to remember

Frontman Bryan Ferry may not hit the high notes like he used to, but the songs remain amazing.

Review by Dave McKenna

September 10, 2022 at 2:59 p.m. EDT

Anyone who attends a high school reunion expecting classmates to look like they did back in the day will surely be disappointed. Likewise for anybody who showed up to Roxy Music’s Friday show at Capital One Arena, (commemorating 50 years since the release of the utterly British band’s debut album) with the expectation that things will sound just as they once had. But, the songs remained the same. And what songs!
Bryan Ferry, Roxy Music’s vocalist and once one of the most charismatic and influential frontmen in rock, will turn 77 this month. The sounds and moves that made him famous in the band’s early days are understandably and utterly out of his reach now.

Yet even in the absence of high notes, the night had lots of highlights. Before “If There Is Something,” a sentimental tune off the eponymous debut record that inspired this tour, Ferry told the crowd it was hard narrowing down a set list from 50 years of songs. But, he continued, “we couldn’t go without doing this one.” Among its wistful lyrics: “The grass was greener when you were young.”

The band’s first reference in this newspaper came in a 1973 story about the first wave of rock acts that were using elaborate stage setups and costumes. Roxy Music had gotten more attention from U.S. rock fans for racy album covers than its music. The band was among those cited in the piece for having “played up the element of homosexuality” for “shock value.” No less than John Lennon came to the defense of such bands, saying that, no matter the packaging,it was still rock-and-roll. “The only difference is they’re wearing a lot of paint now,” Lennon told The Post. The band’s shock-rock days were revisited on Friday with a reprise of 1973’s “In Every Dream Home a Heartache,” an intensely creepy love song that shows Ferry mulling his affection for an inflatable doll. The knowing crowd jumped to its feet just as the song went from a whisper to a scream, and fans kept roaring as guitarist Phil Manzanera shredded over Paul Thompson’s pounded drums, and banks of spotlights flashed.

The tour venues seem bigger than the band’s popularity after all these years. Hours before showtime seats for the Capital One show were listed for just $7 on ticket reselling sites, and the arena’s entire upper deck was empty. But for the folks who showed up — many of whom were in the same age demographic as Ferry — what they lacked in numbers, they made up for in enthusiasm. Lots of fans came dressed in vintage band T-shirts and/or dinner jackets like those Ferry once wore, while becoming known as the most suave crooner in rock. The flock provided Ferry lots of vocal assistance on 1975’s up-tempo smash “Love Is the Drug.” Nostalgia is an equally powerful narcotic.

Roxy Music would eventually become far better remembered for new romantic balladeering than creepy or up-tempo stuff. And as the show wound down, Ferry led his bandmates on a sort of Murderer’s Row of slow-dance staples from the band’s 1980s catalogue, delivering “More Than This” and “Avalon” almost as spoken-word pieces, as a man who knows his vocal limitations would. The understated arrangements only added poignancy to these classics. Finally came a faithful cover of “Jealous Guy” — a song written by their old defender Lennon, that Roxy Music made famous. This confessional song was among the first tunes in which rock stars showed a vulnerable side. Ferry had already spent the whole show exposing his physical vulnerabilities, and did not push his vocal cords beyond their capacity here either. Manzanera’s guitar solo mimicked the verse’s incredible melody, as did Andy McKay’s sax turn, then Ferry nailed the whistled coda, just as fans remembered it. “Jealous Guy” was an amazing tune when Lennon wrote it half a century ago, and was an amazing song when Roxy Music recorded it. It was also amazing as performed on this night. As long as you know what you’re getting into, reunions can be very satisfying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:27 pm 

The original recordings are the norm which live songs will be judged against. To deviate from that can be both good and bad, and from where fans might go their separate ways.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:06 am 

The WaPo review doesn't try and ignore the issue of BF's voice, but nonetheless offers a very upbeat and reasonable assessment of the DC gig. I think the reviewer is right: just about everybody who went to the show had a good time no matter if they paid $600 for a ticket or $7 (Whoa!!!).

I also liked the way that the reviewer harkened back to 1973 and the first time that WaPo mentioned Roxy in an article. Nice touch.

I saw them at the Lisner Auditorium (George Washington University campus) in the fall of '75 during the Siren tour but don't have such great memories of the show. (It fell far short of the Country Life tour gigs I saw earlier in the year... Oh well...)

On another note, its interesting that "Ferry told the crowd it was hard narrowing down a set list from 50 years of songs," when in fact there is at most a stretch of only 10 years when Roxy was recording (1972-82) and they were on hiatus from '76 through '78.

A remarkable 10 years, but as we all know they've produced nothing new as a band in the last 40 years...