VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Madison Square Garden,NYC, 12.09.2022 - Roxy, that was g
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:57 am 

cpl5938 wrote:
Last Night @ MSG...

….. There are things you can control and those you can't. BF voice as has been written often is not something one can control and thus it is what it is, but certainly no fault. Fonzi et al smoothed things out.
What they(BF) can control is where you play, what you play and who plays.
WHERE YOU PLAY: The 50% crowd in a venue built for hockey.. why not the Theater at MSG where they played 20 years ago instead of trying to fill the big barn? WHAT YOU PLAY..as stated before , NOTHING from Stranded and 1 from Country Life? For me it was a bit hard to listen to main thing, more than this, Love Drug, Dance away, Jealous Guy etc.
WHO PLAYS.. TGPT was strong as always, he does not need the tug standing next to him. At times, 4 people on keys(band leader, Chole Smith on keys, Jorja on keys, and BF on Keys. Really?? Perhaps 1 less on keys and Lucy Wilkens or another on strings?
All in all, a enjoyable night, and look forward to seeing them 1 more time in a few days. But was hoping for a classic bookend to this incredible influence on my life.

Hipsters,
CpI5938 makes great points.
W2 was at MSG Theatre in 2001 and the venue suited them perfectly.
Playing these cavernous venues will doubtless lead to restless crowds. Dumped tickets will encourage the curious or ‘not doing anything else tonight’ punter. The music won’t be for them and they’ll just talk and shuffle thru’ the whole thing.
The last time W2 was at the O2 it was to see Bob Dylan. It was the most annoying gig of his life. Folk were constantly standing up, walking around and going to the bar.
Why Roxy have elected to play these soulless venues is perplexing to say the least.
That said, ‘The Where’ and ‘Who’ are now fixed. Let’s hope we get more deep cuts in the London set.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:34 am 

Deep cuts are badly needed. As it is now, it`s not very different from a BF gig. We all know BF uses to involve Roxy songs in his repertoire. This was an option already from when the news of the anniversary shows first could be heared, and could have cooled down many expectations. However, judging from the youtube clips, people seem very content by songs like Oh, Yeah, Out Of The Blue and In Every Dream Home A Heartache. Can you believe it? Phil was talking about a destilled repertoire of 30 songs as a point of departure to choose from. I thought the songs would vary in relation to that. Now it seems the set list is a permanent one. 20 songs are chosen from the first list of 30. People have adjusted their comments considerably since the first reactions after the Toronto gig, but things haven`t changed much.

Saying all this feels like stating the obvious. That`s probably why everybody are sort of beyond this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:42 pm 

I wonder if there will be a difference in the UK gigs - there’s 12 days between the last US and the Glasgow gig. There’s enough time to alter the set list and put a few deep cuts in there.

In saying that though the vast majority of those attending will be expecting to hear the hits. Getting it to a 12/8 split of hits and deep cuts would be good though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:43 pm 

Dear worried Roxy fiends,

I agree; what I’ve seen from the MSG looks pretty decent. Certainly an acceptable band sound overall and Bryan manages to conjure an echo of the voice that at one time stirred and haunted us.

Chuck in a couple of deep cuts and we’ll be laughing all the way to the O2 (although the ghastly chemical lager at fifteen guineas a pint will soon wipe the smile off our faces!).

Now quite looking forward to Manchester and the O2, despite my previous grumpiness (sorry) and misgivings.

Btw, I really liked some of Bryan’s chatting to the audience. If the four of them could stand in a line for a bow it would be nice. Andy seemed to be trying to achieve this but BF didn’t seem to fancy it. Come on guys, the fans are probably more sentimental and emotional about this than you realise, especially given the heightened feelings in the aftermath of the passing away of Her Majesty.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:34 pm 

What I don't understand is while More Than This had an essential part of the song omitted (ie the guitars at the end), My Only Love still has the second unnecessary and protracted guiatr solo that was introduced presumably for Neil Hubbard. The original doesn't have it and I wish that they would drop it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:47 pm 

as someone mentioned previously, the backdrop visuals are linked specific to each song. Thus changes to the setlist, while badly needed are highly unlikely. I doubt that they would have another set of video tracks ready for the UK shows but I guess it is possible. In addition to the videos, there is a constantly moving camera that projects closeups of the band. They could turn off the videos and use the camera only if they wanted to change setlist. Seems a long shot. Hope I am wrong for those attending those shows.