VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EJ in LA?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:13 pm 

I can't say that I think it is likely to happen, but Eddie J lives in LA and why not have him sit in with the band and play the violin solo on OOTB. After all, he did play the solo at the RRHOF ceremony.

Yes it seems like a long shot, but he could take a Uber down to the gig and just plug in... It would be a special way to end the US tour...

Post subject: Re: EJ in LA?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:21 pm 

I'm pretty sure I read that EJ's retirement from live performance was hastened by a road traffic accident on the west coast, after which he relocated back to NYC.

If that's correct, then MSG would have been his local gig, but sadly there's seems to be a bit of a "disconnect" between him and Roxy.

I went to the RRHOF induction ceremony partly because I thought it would be the band's last ever performance (which may well have been the plan until big US money was put on the table for this year) and partly because I figured it would be my only chance to hear EJ play with Roxy (which still feels likely to be the case).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:48 pm 

Thanks Smudge. I thought he still lived in LA. (Maybe Rik Kenton will show up instead and VP will make it into the setlist. Just Kidding!!!)

Yes, since 1977 there has indeed been a disconnect between Roxy and EJ. In many ways it's amazing that he played with them at the RRHOF. I don't remember any interviews where EJ and his erstwhile band mates reminisced about the good old days and the fun they had recording Country Life and touring with Wetton...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:10 pm 

EJ is now 67? Roxy/BF were a very short part of his hugely successful musical life which has existed before and after Roxy. Perhaps he's just not interested?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 am 

I've been lucky enough to meet EJ post-gig two or three times and he was interested to know which parts of his career had hooked me. At the mention of Roxy, he told me that he thought he was forgotten and all but erased from the band's history; he seemed both touched and surprised to be reassured that his contributions were still held in such high regard by so many of us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:31 am 

For me, Country Life and the tour that followed with Wetton on bass constitute "Peak Roxy" - and EJ was an essential component of the band without question. He was also a key player at BF's 1974 RAH gig...

But after the hiatus that followed Siren he was exiled from the Roxy world...