VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Full performance of Montreux 1973
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:50 pm 

And I think it's John Gustafson on bass.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:02 pm 

I believe that’s John Porter on bass. Him and Paul made a dynamic rhythm section and TGPT is on top form as usual.

I noticed Eno looked a bit bored and this was just 2-3 months before he left the band. Obviously thinking about laundry again!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 2:49 am 

Eno did look rather bored at the beginning, but he was quite remarkable on If There is Something - and at the end he took center stage and really "performed" as a (backup) singer with Andy

Knowing what was to come, you can see how he had the capacity to outshine BF on stage...

The sound quality is a bit sketchy at times, but the performances make up for it.

I still think the Wetton/Country Life Era was "Peak Roxy" but Late Eno was mighty mighty good as evidenced in this show...

DCJ

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:42 am 

Gardner wrote:
This popped up on my twitter feed today - Maybe some folk have always had access to this - but it’s the first time I’ve seen it - Fascinating viewing - All the good stuff everyone said about them and more - The end piece of ITIS is amazing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LspMHCey ... e=youtu.be

Thank you for this link, Gardner. The whole performance is a real gem. It shows Roxy Music when I started to become a fan at the age of 14. And it's not only the background vocals from Andy and Eno but the slightly different arrangements and even improvisations that turn this video into something special. Can't wait for the FYP SE 8-) .

By the way - why is it so quiet in here? It makes me a little bit sad. Do the members use social networks instead? Even Eno's 75th birthday wasn't mentioned by anybody. Still hoping for better times - and that everybody in the band and the forum is healthy.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:43 pm 

These are early days. I think we can thank Eno for both "The Bogus Man" and the FYP title track. It all would end with Avalon, but gradually so. It was quite a journey. A development to the better for sure, IMHO. This background made them different to both Tony Hadley and Martin Fry, among others in the early 80s.

Yes, it has been silent lately. "There is nothing more to say", as Lonely Dreamer once put it.

:oops:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:42 pm 

Le freak: Yes, it has been silent lately. "There is nothing more to say", as Lonely Dreamer once put it.

:oops:

"When All Is Said And Done" (Song from ABBA)

You may be right, le freak, but I still hope you're wrong :?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:23 am 

I think that getting the announcement from J O'B as early as mid February that there would be no Bryan/Roxy live activity rather deflated everyone. After all we have got used to/been spoilt by regular live shows in recent years, but who can begrudge some well-earned rest? I hope they are all well. There seems to be little appetite as far as we know for any further deluxe editions or archive releases - these things take forever even if planned. One final grand fandango is still to be hoped for!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:43 pm 

pianoman wrote:
By the way - why is it so quiet in here? It makes me a little bit sad. Do the members use social networks instead? Even Eno's 75th birthday wasn't mentioned by anybody. Still hoping for better times - and that everybody in the band and the forum is healthy.
Peter

Hi Peter,
Yes it has been very quiet and yes some forums that were once very active have been killed off by Facebook and the like :(
For me there are two reasons as to why it is quiet here:
1 The announcement that there would be no live dates this year I think was a big disappointment and left people a bit flat.
2 With the best will in the World I wouldn't credit Roxy with being great when it comes to keeping in touch with their fans. TGPT was very good at that when his forum was active, even complaining that his forum was too quiet on one occasion!
Just my thoughts!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:29 pm 

Agree with Roger. As JO'B has alluded to some activity on the FYP SDE front, that will doubtless spark a great deal of discussion if it emerges. Same applies to BF's new album although maybe he's holding back until 2024 to commemorate 10 years since his last (original) album? ;)

The complete absence of any live dates feels unusual by the standards of 1999 onwards but, as we've said so many times, maybe we expect a little too much on that score, given the relentless march of time.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:08 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Same applies to BF's new album although maybe he's holding back until 2024 to commemorate 10 years since his last (original) album?

-No, I will protest against that theory. I just don`t buy it. Prolonging a release just to get an even number of years since the last (original) release? No, no, just no!!!!!!! It`s very little likely. This practice has no precedent.