VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 1974 - His Master's Voice.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:31 pm 

It's funny how we all have our own takes on songs...

For me. the song In Your Mind features some of BF's most evocative lyrics, as he sees himself aging and contemplating what all the memories mean that are "written in your mind"

I'm past the summer of my years, and I think all the time about what memories have been inscribed into my conscience...

I also love the phrase "nouvelle vague"

For me, IYM and Manifesto set a standard of lyrical depth that none of his later songs meet (although Reason or Rhyme might be an exception)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:20 pm 

DCJ wrote:
It's funny how we all have our own takes on songs...

For me. the song In Your Mind features some of BF's most evocative lyrics, as he sees himself aging and contemplating what all the memories mean that are "written in your mind"

I'm past the summer of my years, and I think all the time about what memories have been inscribed into my conscience...

I also love the phrase "nouvelle vague"

For me, IYM and Manifesto set a standard of lyrical depth that none of his later songs meet (although Reason or Rhyme might be an exception)

I find the lyrics become ridiculously epic but with none of the usual sense of irony. Where as something like the song Manifesto is epic but also seems to have its tongue in its cheek …

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:42 pm 

I'll concede that much of the romantically conjured imagery of IYM harkens to a poetical sensibility that predates the modernity of TS Eliot (let's say) and all that followed in his wake... OK. But I can't see how it is ridiculous. Just my take...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:04 pm 

DCJ wrote:
I'll concede that much of the romantically conjured imagery of IYM harkens to a poetical sensibility that predates the modernity of TS Eliot (let's say) and all that followed in his wake... OK. But I can't see how it is ridiculous. Just my take...

Mes Amis,
Je suis completement d’accord avec DCJ
The problem for me with this album is certainly not the lyrics it is the production values which make it sound harsh and flat.
Indeed R&R and IYM bookend beautifully.
Salutations a tous.
W2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:31 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
DCJ wrote:

Mes Amis,
Je suis completement d’accord avec DCJ
The problem for me with this album is certainly not the lyrics it is the production values which make it sound harsh and flat.
Indeed R&R and IYM bookend beautifully.
Salutations a tous.
W2

I’m thinking about why I arrived at this opinion despite loving the tune - it happened a long time ago - I think it’s because there’s no trace of humour in the song - perhaps in the way that there is in the 30’s song book - little bitter sweet ironic lines that catch you unawares and can even add depth to the emotional message. Songs like ‘Just Like You’ have this - obviously Mother of Pearl - and I love the opening lines of ‘Just another high’ . I adore Reason or Rhythm even though it’s a song with no humour - despite this .. for me it’s one of his greatest songs - the lines about the sun, the moon and all the stars are wonderful - I feel it’s about Isabella Blow .